Re: [cincarm] Carmelite Commemorations

  • Sandra Malkovsky
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 1 10:14 AM
      you mean the prayers from the Office for our Saints, Blesseds etc, with all the new ones?
      If so, this pdf from Canada is quite up to date http://carmelcanada.org/liturgy/office.pdf

      Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:15 AM
      Subject: [cincarm] Carmelite Commemorations

      Does someone have the English text of the Commemorations that they would be willing to share? I’m searching for one of the prayers, and can’t find it online.

      God reward you,

      Deb. Thurston, ocds
      Indianapolis, IN

    • Deborrah Thurston OCDS
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 1 10:45 AM

        No, these are the traditional Carmelite prayers that are offered by the nuns after Vespers, along with the Litany of Loretto. The Commemorations invoke the intercession of the Saints of Carmel in a particular way. If you look at an Horarium that many communities post online, you’ll see mention of the Commemorations after Evening Prayer. My English copy is long lost, given to a friend before I moved to Haifa or packed away in some box that is in storage. I cannot find the Commemorations posted online. I thought that someone among us might have a copy of the Commemorations, perhaps in the little brown book from Pewaukee or some other resource, ferreted away in a breviary.

        Ah well.

        Deb.

        you mean the prayers from the Office for our Saints, Blesseds etc, with all the new ones?

        If so, this pdf from Canada is quite up to date http://carmelcanada.org/liturgy/office.pdf

      • Teresa Martinez
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 1 11:08 AM

          Wish I could help you Deb. I did not even know that:   http://carmelcanada.org/liturgy/office.pdf    existed !

          .

        • Debra Goodwin
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 1 11:25 AM
            lovely site.  Downloaded for keeps.

            Debra Goodwin
            Anne Therese of the Holy Face
            Jesus King of All Nations Community
            Coeur d Alene, Idaho USA
            Numbers 10:35

              have a copy of the Commemorations, perhaps in the little brown book from Pewaukee or some other resource, ferreted away in a breviary.

              JMJT

              Deb,

              I just checked the little brown book…not there…sorry

              Prayers,
              Lonnie

            • Lonnie Small
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 1 11:37 AM

                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 1 11:44 AM

                  Will do.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 1 12:56 PM
                    I have the discalced Carmelite proper offices, the supplement to the divine office,  - is that what you are after.

                    Follow faithfully the way,
                    Tell courageously the truth,
                    Live joyfully the life

                    AMDG

                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 1 2:00 PM
                    Is this what you are looking for?  We used to say these when I first entered the Order in 1978.

                    Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 1:45 PM

                    Message 10 of 22 , Mar 1 2:24 PM

                      Yes, Sandra… that’s it. That’s not the translation (from the Latin) that I learned, but those are the Carmelite Commemorations. I don’t see the prayer that I’m trying to remember, though. The prayer – as I recall it – was part of the Commemorations and had a phrase that went something like, “that we may have a sense of the true and a taste for the good, and always find our consolation and our joy in Him, through the same Christ our Lord…”

                      Does that phrase ring a bell for anyone?

                      Deb.

                      Message 11 of 22 , Mar 1 2:33 PM
                        There is a pentecost prayer with that in it.  From St Augustine

                        Give us the grace, under His divine inspiration, to have a sense of the true and a taste for the good... Anon

                        Breathe in me O Holy Spirit
                        that my thoughts may all be holy;
                        Act in me O Holy Spirit
                        that my works, too, may be holy;
                        Draw my heart O Holy Spirit that I love but what is holy;
                        Strengthen me O Holy Spirit to defend that is holy;
                        Guard me then O Holy Spirit that I always may be holy.
                        St. Augustine

                        Message 12 of 22 , Mar 1 2:43 PM

                          Thanks, Debra… that’s from the oration for the Solemnity of Pentecost. My brain is getting addled, I fear.
                          God reward you!

                          Deb.

                          Message 13 of 22 , Mar 1 3:16 PM

                            It sounds like the old prayer to the Holy Ghost that we used to recite before every class

                            many (many!) years ago:

                            Deus, qui corda fidelium Sancti Spiritus illustratione docuisti; da nobis in eodem Spiritu

                            recta sapere et de eius semper consolatione gaudere. Per Christum Dominum nostrum.

                            My translation (feel free to disagree):  "O God, who by the light of the Holy Ghost, teach the hearts

                            of the faithful,  grant to us in that same Spirit, always to relish the right and to rejoice in

                            His consolation.  Through Christ our Lord."

                            Cheers,

                            -John-

                            Message 14 of 22 , Mar 1 3:26 PM
                              I like that too John.  Thanks for sharing both latin and your translation.

                              Message 15 of 22 , Mar 1 7:59 PM

                                JMJT
                                Thank you, Sandra. That is nice to have.

                                Prayers,

                                Lonnie

                                Que Viva Cristo Rey!

                                Message 16 of 22 , Mar 2 6:14 AM

                                  The Irish missionary Nuns of St. Joseph of Cluny, taught/made us to recite that same prayer, in the late 30’s before every class begun also.  Here’s how we recited it:

                                  : “O God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit doth instruct the hearts of Thy faithful.

                                  Grant we beseech Thee by the gift of that same Spirit,   we may be always truly wise,

                                   and  ever rejoice in His consolations,  through Christ Our Lord. Amen.”

                                • jojackson132@ymail.com
                                  Message 17 of 22 , Mar 2 7:34 AM
                                    Our Sisters of Mercy at our convent school in the 70s taught us that same way too.
                                    In fact I always thought of it as part of the same prayer as 'Come, Holy Spirit fill the hearts of Thy faithful. Inflame them with the fire of Thy love .... Because it always followed on from this in school assembly.

                                    Jo
                                    Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone

                                    From: Teresa Martinez <miketes.empress@...>
                                    Sender: cincarm@yahoogroups.com
                                    Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 09:14:39 -0500
                                    To: <cincarm@yahoogroups.com>
                                    ReplyTo: cincarm@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                                  • Nan
                                    Message 18 of 22 , Mar 2 9:47 AM
                                      Those are lovely, Sandra. May I share with my community?

                                      Nan

                                      Is this what you are looking for?  We used to say these when I first entered the Order in 1978.

                                      Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 1:45 PM

                                      Message 19 of 22 , Mar 2 10:02 AM

                                        JMJT
                                        Teresa,

                                        this is the way I learned it too.  J

                                        Blessings,

                                        Lonnie

                                        Message 20 of 22 , Mar 2 10:09 AM
                                          yes, of course.  I am glad Deb reminded me of them.  We (in my old community back in DC) used them after night prayer.  There is no copyright on them.

                                          Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 1:45 PM

                                          Message 21 of 22 , Mar 2 10:10 AM
                                            I thought it was part of that prayer too, I always say them together, before my meditation.