RE: [cincarm] meaning of prayer

  • Gara Anderson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2012

      Prayer is God’s “chat room”

      From: cincarm@yahoogroups.com [mailto: cincarm@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Lonnie Small
      Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:48 PM
      To: Cincarm
      Subject: [cincarm] meaning of prayer

      May 30, 2012.  During the General Audience, Benedict XVI explained how the trust in God helped Saint Paul to overcome difficulties. He also taught about the meaning of prayer…..

      Dear Brothers and Sisters,

      In our continuing reflection on prayer in the letters of Saint Paul, we now consider the Apostle’s striking affirmation that Jesus Christ is God’s “Yes” to mankind and the fulfilment of all his promises, and that through Jesus we say our “Amen”, to the glory of God (cf. 2 Cor 1:19-20).  For Paul, prayer is above all God’s gift, grounded in his faithful love which was fully revealed in the sending of his Son and the gift of the Holy Spirit.  The Spirit, poured forth into our hearts, leads us to the Father, constantly making present God’s “Yes” to us in Christ and in turn enabling us to say our “Yes” – Amen! – to God.  Our use of the word “Amen”, rooted in the ancient liturgical prayer of Israel and then taken up by the early Church, expresses our firm faith in God’s word and our hope in his promises.  Through this daily “Yes” which concludes our personal and communal prayer, we echo Jesus’ obedience to the Father’s will and, through the gift of the Spirit, are enabled to live a new and transformed life in union with the Lord.