FW: Google Alert - "reginald foster" latin

  • Deborrah Thurston OCDS
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2012

      “Veronica Scarisbrick speaks to our popular 'Latin Lover', Carmelite Father Reginald Foster about the Latin of the Apostolic Constitution 'Summorum Pontificum' in which Pius XI proclaimed Saint Ignatius Patron of Spiritual Exercises. A document dating back to 1929 in which among other things this early twentieth century Pope remarks how the great disease of our modern era is a lack of reflection .

      “Conversation centres around stories surrounding the tradition of Popes going on Lenten spiritual exercises in the Vatican together with their papal household.

      “Among the anecdotes recounted regarding various Pontiffs, there's one regarding Pius XI who on one occasion complained about the quality of the homily delivered by the preacher of the Papal Household. Referring to it in Italian as a "nobile mattone " literally noble brick. Clearly meaning it was a bit heavy going!”

      p.s. you may recall that last year’s Lenten spiritual exercises in the Vatican were preached by Discalced Carmelite theology professor Father François-Marie Léthel from the Teresianum, Pontifical Institute of Spirituality.

      Deb. Thurston ocds