20131Communicationes 239

  • Lonnie Small
    Feb 6, 2014

      Communicationes N. 239

      06/02/2014

      - First steps of the Carmelite mission in Zambia

      - Heroic virtue of Fr Zacarías de Santa Teresa approved

      - 2014 meeting of the Carmelite Formators in Europe

      - Interview with Monsignor Peter Chung

      Zambia

      First steps of the Carmelite mission in Zambia

      Zambia, February 6, 2014 (Communicationes).- On last January 17, the foundation of the Discalced Carmel in Zambia began. In fact, on this day missionaries from the Manjummel Province arrived to found a Carmel in the Chipata diocese in East Zambia.

      They were received at the airport by the Bishop of Chipata, George Lungu, together with some Sisters from the diocese, as well as 2 Carmelite brothers and 2 Carmelite Missionary Sisters from Malawi.

      Arriving were Fathers John Balummel , Paxy Alumkal , Gladwil Maliekkal and Robin Koimakad, who were received with much joy by the diocese of Chipata.

      From the Lusaka airport, the founders went to a Catholic Conference centre in the same city, where they celebrated their first Mass in Zambia.

      Zambia has a population of 13 million, of whom a considerable number are Catholic. However there is a lack of priests to deal with the growing number of people entering the Church.

      The plan is to establish two missions, which will be maintained by the Manjummel Province.

      P. Zacarias

      The heroic virtue of Fr Zacarías de Santa Teresa approved

      Rome-Italy, February 6, 2014 (Communicationes).- Pope Francis has approved the heroic virtue of the Servant of God, Zacarías de Santa Teresa

      The Servant of God, Zacarías de Santa Teresa (Salterian Vizcarra), was born in 1887 in Abadiño, a province of Vizcaya in Spain. He entered the Teresian Carmel on 10th September 1903 and after being ordained priest in 1912, he was sent to India together with Fr Aureliano del Santísimo Sacramento. For 45 uninterrupted years he remained in this country, which became his adopted homeland. His main apostolic work was teaching as a professor, first in the Seminary of Puthemphaly then afterward in the Alwaye Seminary.

      His principal mission lay in the formation of the local clergy and in encouraging Catholic culture by means of many publications. For this purpose, in 1924 he founded the “League of Conversions” movement. While he was alive people called him the “refuge of sinners” because of his great charity towards those in need and his untiring commitment to the sacrament of reconciliation. He passed away in Alwaye on 23rd May 1957 at 3:30 in the early morning. His mortal remains rest in the monastery of the Immaculate Conception in Manjummel.

      Formators

      The 2014 meeting of the Carmelite Formators in Europe

      Avila-Spain, February 6, 2014 (Communicationes).- More than thirty formators from the European Provinces met in the Teresa-John of the Cross International Centre in Avila for another European gathering to discuss “Which God, which man: the theology and pedagogy of Carmel”.

      Fr Antonio Sicari directed the conferences which touched on various topics for reflection concerning “Which God, which man: the theology and pedagogy of Saint Teresa of Jesus, Saint John of the Cross and Saint Teresa of the Child Jesus”. As the motivations and persons of these Carmelite mystics were presented, intense discussion followed among those taking part in view to an efficient and integral formation for future brothers and priestly ministers of the Discalced Carmelite Order in Europe.

      Beside the talks given by Fr Antonio Sicari, there was a session devoted to the initial stage of Carmelite formation, the “Postulancy”. In this session, Fr Tadeusz Florek spoke on “Postulancy in the documents of the Church and the Order” and was assisted by Fr Joaquín Teixeira, who gave a dissertation on “Postulancy in the Iberian Peninsula”. In the second session, Fr Vincent-Marie Guiraud shared what was happening in the “Postulancy in the Avignon-Aquitaine Province”.

      Finally, among other happenings and internal discussion and reflection concerning “European Carmelite Formation”, the Mother Mistress of the Toro Monastery spoke on “First formation in the Toro monastery”.

      As well, guidelines were given to follow in organizing the Meeting of European Carmelite Youth, which will take place in Avila from 5th to 9th August in 2015.

      New Bishop

      Interview with Monsignor Peter Chung

      Seoul-Korea, February 6, 2014 (Communicationes).- On this 4th of February, Fr Peter Chung was ordained bishop and is already in Seoul to take up his new responsibility as Auxiliary Bishop of the diocese. By means of this interview, carried out by the magazine La Obra Máxima, we are able to know a little more about how he will face this new challenge at the service of the Church.

      Fr Peter, what did you feel when you received news about your episcopal appointment?

      From the moment I received this appointment, there were some nights when I could not sleep because I felt agitated or nervous (although my mind was becoming more lucid and clear on those nights), for the reason that I was sure this was truly an intervention of God in my poor life.

      What do you think the life and work of a bishop should be? What type of bishop does the Church need today?

      I have never thought (and never had the need until now to do so) what would the life and work of a bishop be, but from now on it is up to me to do so. I imagine, simply, that the work of a bishop would be more demanding, with lots of meetings with various persons and concerning Church matters. Perhaps the world or today’s Church needs a bishop who speaks less and listens more to the voice of the least, those most in need.

      Your appointment has filled us all in the Order with happiness. As a Discalced Carmelite, what can you bring to this new vocation to which God calls you?

      It is a topic which preoccupies me a little now: that the Seoul diocese, perhaps, expects a more spiritual dimension or contribution from a Carmelite bishop. As a disciple of Saint Teresa of Jesus, to today’s people who, so easily, are dragged down by external and fascinating things, I could stress to them this deepest of spiritual values, by reminding them of Saint Teresa’s words, “All things pass away, only God lasts for ever and God alone is enough”.

      We know little about what is happening in the Church of Korea. What are the greatest challenges facing your Church?

      We are growing aware that the modern world is becoming increasingly globalized (and in some cases, too much so in a certain sense). The challenges of the Church in Korea would not be so different from those which confront the world and the European Church. To state some of

      them: materialism, individualism, selfishness, excessive and extravagant consumption, indifference towards the Church, lack of religious and priestly vocations.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic