Pwd Protection with .htaccess

  • Gary Badger
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2005
      Friends,

      For the fun of it I created a password protected folder using .htaccess,
      with the assistance of the great resource at
      http://htmlfixit.com/cgi-bin/tools/htaccess/index.pl. It was
      surprisingly easy, and I can think of some good uses for this.

      A quick question: Why do my browsers (FF, IE, Opera) always ask for the
      username / password twice, even when entered correctly the first time?
      Is this normal for .htaccess?

      --

      Cheers,

      Gary
      http://www.garybadger.com/
    • Mike Welsh
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2005
        On 1/05/2005, at 10:30 PM, Gary Badger wrote:

        > Friends,
        >
        > For the fun of it I created a password protected folder
        > using .htaccess,
        > with the assistance of the great resource at
        > http://htmlfixit.com/cgi-bin/tools/htaccess/index.pl. It was
        > surprisingly easy, and I can think of some good uses for this.
        If you're really interested, ApacheWeek has a great article about
        doing that in more depth, with groups and stuff.

        > A quick question: Why do my browsers (FF, IE, Opera) always ask for
        > the
        > username / password twice, even when entered correctly the first time?
        > Is this normal for .htaccess?
        My browsers only ask once.
        However, I get emails everytime there is a 401 error (which means
        hitting a .htaccess protected page) and I get 2 emails for everytime
        I go to my phpMyAdmin, even though i never enter a password...