How to prevent a Browser moving forward with the onUnload request

  • CIGHTML Mailing List
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2002
      From: Keith Pawson [mailto:kpawson@...]
      Sent: May 1, 2002 9:26 AM
      request

      Hi all.

      I asked the group a while ago regarding using the password protection
      Paul has in his book.
      I have managed to set this up, change the setting so that the password
      is not visable in the text box, and had it running succesfuly on our
      Intranet site.

      One main issue I have found though, when you click back in IE6, and then
      click Forward again, the protected page is reloaded straight away.

      Now, is there a way using onUnload, to prevent this happening?.

      If I move forwardfrom that page, I still want to be able to go Back to
      the page in question but not Forward to it.

      Hope this makes sense.

      Regards
      Keith Pawson

      List is currently unmoderated. HTML-only posts please!

      CIGHTML Message Archive:
      http://www.mcfedries.com/books/cightml/list/

      CIGHTML Frequently Asked Questions:
      http://www.mcfedries.com/books/cightml/list/faq.asp

      Unsubscribing:
      To: listmanager@...
      Subject: leave cightml
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2002
        Also, can't the search engines still find that page and put up a link to it?
        There goes your "password protection."

        seecurb
        please reply to: seecurb@...
        > I asked the group a while ago regarding using the password protection
        > Paul has in his book.
        > I have managed to set this up, change the setting so that the password
        > is not visable in the text box, and had it running succesfuly on our
        > Intranet site.
        >
        > One main issue I have found though, when you click back in IE6, and then
        > click Forward again, the protected page is reloaded straight away.
        >
        > Now, is there a way using onUnload, to prevent this happening?.
        >
        > If I move forwardfrom that page, I still want to be able to go Back to
        > the page in question but not Forward to it.
        >
        > Hope this makes sense.
        >
        > Regards
        > Keith Pawson

        List is currently unmoderated. HTML-only posts please!

        To: listmanager@...
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2002
          Sorry seecurb, its a Company Intranet Site, no external contact.

          Keith Pawson

          > I asked the group a while ago regarding using the password protection
          > Paul has in his book.
          > I have managed to set this up, change the setting so that the password
          > is not visable in the text box, and had it running succesfuly on our
          > Intranet site.
          >
          > One main issue I have found though, when you click back in IE6, and
          then
          > click Forward again, the protected page is reloaded straight away.
          >
          > Now, is there a way using onUnload, to prevent this happening?.
          >
          > If I move forwardfrom that page, I still want to be able to go Back to
          > the page in question but not Forward to it.
          >
          > Hope this makes sense.
          >
          > Regards
          > Keith Pawson

          List is currently unmoderated. HTML-only posts please!