Re: [cightml] Looking for a Symbol

  • diggerdog
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
      This could be easily done in a graphics program and made into a
      transparent gif, or is that not what you mean?

      Hazel
      http://www.dogpage.ision.co.uk
      http://www.freedmax-associates.co.uk
      http://www.novu.co.uk

      David Colliver wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I am looking for a symbol like a double V. If you imagine >> turned
      > 90degrees to the right. I would prefer the text symbol but if not possible,
      > let me know. You might sugest another idea. (It has to work with different
      > coloured backgrounds.)

    • David Colliver
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
        Hi,

        I am looking for a symbol like a double V. If you imagine >> turned
        90degrees to the right. I would prefer the text symbol but if not possible,
        let me know. You might sugest another idea. (It has to work with different
        coloured backgrounds.)

        The idea is a ymbol to denote a drop down menu. I oculd use a triangle but
        in my case don't think this will work.

        This is for a major enhancement to my portal so is not online at the moment.

        Regards,
        Dave.
        http://www.FOCUSPortals.com
        ~~
        All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

        Your community connected. http://www.ashfieldfocus.com
        Get your business on the net, http://www.clickprovince.com
        Collectible dolls from http://www.collectorsdolls.com
        Web design, hosting, domain registration? http://www.revilloc.com is the
        answer.
        Tips, tricks and articles for programmers of all languages on
        http://www.sourcecodecorner.com
        Planning a wedding? http://www.bmcweddings.com
        Advertise your car on http://www.drivingseat.com
      • Josh
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
          That would be like a chevron...?

          Josh
          --- David Colliver <david.colliver@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I am looking for a symbol like a double V. If you imagine >> turned
          > 90degrees to the right. I would prefer the text symbol but if not
          > possible,
          > let me know. You might sugest another idea. (It has to work with
          > different
          > coloured backgrounds.)
          >
          > The idea is a ymbol to denote a drop down menu. I oculd use a
          > triangle but
          > in my case don't think this will work.
          >
          > This is for a major enhancement to my portal so is not online at the
          > moment.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Dave.
          > http://www.FOCUSPortals.com
          > ~~
          > All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
          >
          > Your community connected. http://www.ashfieldfocus.com
          > Get your business on the net, http://www.clickprovince.com
          > Collectible dolls from http://www.collectorsdolls.com
          > Web design, hosting, domain registration? http://www.revilloc.com is
          > the
          > answer.
          > Tips, tricks and articles for programmers of all languages on
          > http://www.sourcecodecorner.com
          > Planning a wedding? http://www.bmcweddings.com
          > Advertise your car on http://www.drivingseat.com

          http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
        • David Colliver
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
            Hi Hazel and Josh,

            Yes, like a chevron but pointing downwards.

            The reason for not a gif is for the antialiasing. With text, I can control
            the colour, so if there is a dark background, I can make the text light.

            What I might have to do to get the best is to make a chevon with alternate
            dark/light colours (four V, alternating colour and butting up to each
            other.)

            There are symbols that I can use to do a left chevron and a right chevron,
            but I can't think of any for up or down. I was wondering if anyone else
            knew.

            I will have a go with a graphic.

            Best regards,
            Dave.
            http://www.FOCUSPortals.com

            > > I am looking for a symbol like a double V. If you imagine >> turned
            > > 90degrees to the right. I would prefer the text symbol but if not
            > > possible,
            > > let me know. You might sugest another idea. (It has to work with
            > > different
            > > coloured backgrounds.)
            > >
            > > The idea is a ymbol to denote a drop down menu. I oculd use a
            > > triangle but
            > > in my case don't think this will work.
            > >
            > > This is for a major enhancement to my portal so is not online at the
            > > moment.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > Dave.
            > > http://www.FOCUSPortals.com
            > > ~~
            > > All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
            > >
            > > Your community connected. http://www.ashfieldfocus.com
            > > Get your business on the net, http://www.clickprovince.com
            > > Collectible dolls from http://www.collectorsdolls.com
            > > Web design, hosting, domain registration? http://www.revilloc.com is
            > > the
            > > answer.
            > > Tips, tricks and articles for programmers of all languages on
            > > http://www.sourcecodecorner.com
            > > Planning a wedding? http://www.bmcweddings.com
            > > Advertise your car on http://www.drivingseat.com

            > This list is for readers of Paul McFedries' CIG to Creating a Web Page.
            >
            > Messages prior to 2002 are also archived at http://www.mcfedries.com
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Josh
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
              You could go with anti-aliased 24-bit PNGs, but IE doesn't have proper
              support for them, so :\ And yeah, I can't think of any for up or down,
              except for maybe the *dings family of fonts.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
                Cheers.

                I have actually created a graphic to do it. I have created a herringbone
                pattern (pointing downwards) and each bone vertically is a different colour
                (each bone is just one pixel high). I have used a dark colour and a light
                colour and made the background transparent. Looks OK to me.

                Best regards,
                Dave.
                http://www.FOCUSPortals.com

              • daja300@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
                  If all else fails, create one in a graphic app as a transparent gif.

                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
                    You might want to take a journey through Windoze or Word character set and
                    see what's available. I believe you may need to include the proper iso tags if
                    you are coding html.

                    Dave

                    What I might have to do to get the best is to make a chevon with alternate
                    dark/light colours (four V, alternating colour and butting up to each
                    other.)

                    There are symbols that I can use to do a left chevron and a right chevron,
                    but I can't think of any for up or down. I was wondering if anyone else
                    knew.

                    I will have a go with a graphic.

                    Best regards,
                    Dave.
                    http://www.FOCUSPortals.com<<

                  • Gary Badger
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
                      Dave,

                      I know this isn't really what you are looking for, but
                      these are arrows and they are text as opposed to
                      images. Try this in a new page and see how it looks:

                      <head>
                      span.c1 {font-family:Wingdings}
                      </head>

                      I don't think I've ever come across a PC that didn't
                      have Wingings font, so it should be pretty universal.
                      This way you can still change colours and achieve
                      whatever it is that you were after with different
                      coloured backgrounds etc.

                      There are also block arrows and other strange things
                      in Windings font if these are more appropriate.

                      I hope this is of some use.

                      Happy New Year everyone!

                      Cheers,

                      Gary.

                      --- David Colliver <david.colliver@...>
                      wrote: > Hi,

                      > I am looking for a symbol like a double V. If you
                      > imagine >> turned
                      > 90degrees to the right. I would prefer the text
                      > symbol but if not possible,
                      > let me know. You might sugest another idea. (It has
                      > to work with different
                      > coloured backgrounds.)
                      >
                      > The idea is a ymbol to denote a drop down menu. I
                      > oculd use a triangle but
                      > in my case don't think this will work.
                      >
                      > This is for a major enhancement to my portal so is
                      > not online at the moment.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Dave.
                      > http://www.FOCUSPortals.com
                      > ~~
                      > All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make
                      > me happy.

                    • Gary Badger
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
                        Oops! I screwed up the tags (relying too heavily on
                        copy / paste!). Sorry about that, Chief!

                        Try this one:

                        --- Gary Badger <garybadger67@...> wrote: >
                        Dave,

                        > I know this isn't really what you are looking for,
                        > but
                        > these are arrows and they are text as opposed to
                        > images. Try this in a new page and see how it looks:

                        > <head>
                        > span.c1 {font-family:Wingdings}
                        > </head>
                        > class='c1'>áâßà</span>
                        >
                        > I don't think I've ever come across a PC that didn't
                        > have Wingings font, so it should be pretty
                        > universal.
                        > This way you can still change colours and achieve
                        > whatever it is that you were after with different
                        > coloured backgrounds etc.
                        >
                        > There are also block arrows and other strange things
                        > in Windings font if these are more appropriate.
                        >
                        > I hope this is of some use.
                        >
                        > Happy New Year everyone!
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        >
                        > Gary.
                        >
                        > --- David Colliver <david.colliver@...>
                        > wrote: > Hi,
                        > >
                        > > I am looking for a symbol like a double V. If you
                        > > imagine >> turned
                        > > 90degrees to the right. I would prefer the text
                        > > symbol but if not possible,
                        > > let me know. You might sugest another idea. (It
                        > has
                        > > to work with different
                        > > coloured backgrounds.)
                        > >
                        > > The idea is a ymbol to denote a drop down menu. I
                        > > oculd use a triangle but
                        > > in my case don't think this will work.
                        > >
                        > > This is for a major enhancement to my portal so is
                        > > not online at the moment.
                        > >
                        > > Regards,
                        > > Dave.
                        > > http://www.FOCUSPortals.com
                        > > ~~
                        > > All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't
                        > make
                        > > me happy.
                        >

                        > http://personals.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Personals
                        > New people, new possibilities. FREE for a limited
                        > time.
                        >
                        > To unsubscribe from the Yahoo Group, send an email
                        > to:
                        >
                        > This list is for readers of Paul McFedries' CIG to
                        > Creating a Web Page.
                        >
                        > Messages prior to 2002 are also archived at
                        > http://www.mcfedries.com

                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Mike Welsh
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
                          On Jan 2, 2004, at 11:05 AM, Gary Badger wrote:

                          > I don't think I've ever come across a PC that didn't
                          > have Wingings font,
                          I'm sitting on one right now.
                          --
                          http://yomcat.geek.nz
                          http://www.nztuatara.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
                            David, Gary, and All,

                            I don't want to sound NEGATIVE, BUT, those four wing-ding characters
                            that Gary suggested work fine in my IE, but they do NOT work in my
                            Netscape 7.1

                            I don't know "why?" They just don't.

                            But, there is a solution: use entities, instead.
                            The following entities all work in Netscape 7.1 and do so WITHOUT any
                            CSS or span tags:

                            ← ↑ → ↓ ↔ ↵ ⇐ ↵ ⇐ ⇑
                            ⇒ ⇓ ⇔
                            ⇐ ⇑ ⇒ ⇓ ⇔ ∨ ∨

                            Of these nineteen entities, some even work in IE.
                            (Notice some have upper-case "A." They are different, and make for a
                            different entity to be rendered.)
                            Anyway, to answer the question, the last two are both "inverted
                            chevrons" or look something like a letter "V."
                            ∨ and ∨ work in BOTH browsers to give a "logical OR - vee wedge."
                            Copy and paste them all to see them work...
                            You might even want to save them for future reference.

                            seecurb
                            +++++++++++++++++++

                            Gary Badger wrote:

                            > Dave,
                            >
                            > I know this isn't really what you are looking for, but
                            > these are arrows and they are text as opposed to
                            > images. Try this in a new page and see how it looks:

                            > <head>
                            > span.c1 {font-family:Wingdings}
                            > </head>
                            >
                            > I don't think I've ever come across a PC that didn't
                            > have Wingings font, so it should be pretty universal.
                            > This way you can still change colours and achieve
                            > whatever it is that you were after with different
                            > coloured backgrounds etc.
                            >
                            > There are also block arrows and other strange things
                            > in Windings font if these are more appropriate.
                            >
                            > I hope this is of some use.
                            >
                            > Happy New Year everyone!
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            >
                            > Gary.
                            >
                            > --- David Colliver <david.colliver@...>
                            > wrote: > Hi,
                            > >
                            > > I am looking for a symbol like a double V. If you
                            > > imagine >> turned
                            > > 90degrees to the right. I would prefer the text
                            > > symbol but if not possible,
                            > > let me know. You might sugest another idea. (It has
                            > > to work with different
                            > > coloured backgrounds.)
                            > >
                            > > The idea is a ymbol to denote a drop down menu. I
                            > > oculd use a triangle but
                            > > in my case don't think this will work.
                            > >
                            > > This is for a major enhancement to my portal so is
                            > > not online at the moment.
                            > >
                            > > Regards,
                            > > Dave.
                            > > http://www.FOCUSPortals.com
                            > > ~~
                            > > All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make
                            > > me happy.
                            >

                            > <http://personals.yahoo.com.au>

                          • Gary Badger
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 2, 2004
                              So I have no idea what Dave needed these for, but now that I've seen these
                              I'll be keeping them for future reference. Great stuff!

                              Looks great in Opera & Firebird, only about half working in IE. Well done
                              seecurb!

                              Gary.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 2, 2004
                                Hi,

                                I have created a graphic to manage this now. Looks good.

                                What I needed it for is I am radically changing the face of my portal. One
                                of my menus is in the way, so I need it to fold away. When it is folded
                                away, it is not obvious what it is, so the chevron was supposed to be a
                                graphical entity to show that something else is here and to come and try it
                                out...

                                I will hopefully have the new portal online soon.

                                Best regards,
                                Dave.
                                http://www.FOCUSPortals.com