new web page check, please..........

  • seecurb
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2003
      Guys,

      I just made a new web page.
      Can you check it, please?
      http://www.sewwug.org/sfware.html
      It has only one image.
      Not sure if the CSS passes the verifications, though.
      Is it true that with CSS, you can write vertical text?
      If so, please show me how, so I can get rid of the one image.

      Thanks,
      seecurb
      ++++++++++++++++++
    • Mike Welsh
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2003
        On Dec 2, 2003, at 4:16 PM, seecurb wrote:

        > Guys,
        >
        > I just made a new web page.
        > Can you check it, please?
        > http://www.sewwug.org/sfware.html
        > It has only one image.
        > Not sure if the CSS passes the verifications, though.
        > Is it true that with CSS, you can write vertical text?
        > If so, please show me how, so I can get rid of the one image.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > seecurb

        Works fine in Safari. May I suggest that you use CSS to change the
        cursor to the hand when you hover over the disk links, so it looks like
        a link.
      • Mike Welsh
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2003
          Looking at your source, the following don't work:
          changing the colour of the hr. Thats not standard. much better to use a
          1x1 gif and set width and height.
          the moving image is a bit odd. Put valign="top" into its td tag, so it
          stick to the top.

          You set the same definition twice in the header. Put the 2 CSS tags
          together.
        • Justin
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2003
            HI Seecurb
            I found this link a while ago, you will probably find it useful for the vertical text question you had asked - http://www.ssi-developer.net/css/vertical-text.shtml . Your site seems to have a nice clean layout, simple, and with a nice design.

            Justin

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 2, 2003
                Looks well laid out and clear, the link to the CSS solution given
                I believe by justin does not work in Mozilla Firebird.
                Hazel
                http://dogpage.ision.co.uk
                http://www.freemax-associates.co.uk
                http://www.novu.co.uk

                seecurb wrote:
                > Guys,
                >
                > I just made a new web page.
                > Can you check it, please?
                > http://www.sewwug.org/sfware.html
                > It has only one image.
                > Not sure if the CSS passes the verifications, though.
                > Is it true that with CSS, you can write vertical text?
                > If so, please show me how, so I can get rid of the one image.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > seecurb
              • Lokrin
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 2, 2003
                  Ok, try these two changes:

                  1) in your style section, add:

                  .vertical {font-style: italic; font-weight: bold; writing-mode: tb-rl;
                  filter: flipv fliph; font-size: 18pt; color: #ff0000}

                  2) In the body, make the following changes:

                  <TD width=22 bgColor=#0000dd> </TD>
                  <TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(225,255,245)" width=16>
                  <!-- this is the change -->
                  <!-- end of changed code -->
                  </TD>
                  <TD width=22 bgColor=#00aa00> </TD>
                  <TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(225,255,245)" width=10> </TD>

                  It looks almost the same as what you have in your graphic, but I see a black
                  thin border around the font. My source says that it is MS specific, but NN
                  and others may have picked it up already.
                  - - - - -
                  I want to have three cats named Fred:

                  Deep Fred
                  French Fred
                  Stir Fred

                  Lokrin (TechAss)
                  Technical Assailant
                  http://lokrin.net
                  - - - -

                  > seecurb <seecurb@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Is it true that with CSS, you can write vertical text?
                  > If so, please show me how, so I can get rid of the one image.

                  ---
                  Outgoing male is certified Virus Free.
                • Mike Welsh
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 2, 2003
                    On Dec 2, 2003, at 5:23 PM, Justin wrote:

                    > I found this link a while ago, you will probably find it useful for
                    > the vertical text question you had asked -
                    > http://www.ssi-developer.net/css/vertical-text.shtml . Your site seems
                    > to have a nice clean layout, simple, and with a nice design.

                    This doesn't work in Safari. Its probably an IE hack.
                  • seecurb
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 3, 2003
                      Thanks, Mike,
                      My viewers don't use Safari - only N/N and IE.
                      seecurb
                      +++++++++++=

                      Mike Welsh wrote:

                      > On Dec 2, 2003, at 5:23 PM, Justin wrote:
                      >
                      > > I found this link a while ago, you will probably find it useful for
                      > > the vertical text question you had asked -
                      > > http://www.ssi-developer.net/css/vertical-text.shtml . Your site seems
                      > > to have a nice clean layout, simple, and with a nice design.
                      > >
                      > This doesn't work in Safari. Its probably an IE hack.
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12chjflng/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705006832:HM/EXP=1070492626/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732>
                      >

                      > To unsubscribe from the Yahoo Group, send an email to:
                      >
                      > This list is for readers of Paul McFedries' CIG to Creating a Web Page.
                      >
                      > Messages prior to 2002 are also archived at http://www.mcfedries.com

                      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                    • Mike Welsh
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 3, 2003
                        On Dec 4, 2003, at 5:25 AM, seecurb wrote:

                        > Thanks, Mike,
                        > My viewers don't use Safari - only N/N and IE.

                        Yea, you're lucky. Windows users are heaps easier to design for...
                      • Gary Badger
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
                          Seecurb,

                          Sorry I'm a bit slow to go through my messages. CSS is not something I'm
                          strong on, so I'll just say that I really like to look of the page,
                          especially the expand / collapse JS. Great stuff, and I'd expect nothing
                          less in the badger state!

                          Cheers,

                          Gary.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
                            Gary,

                            CIGHTML folks can use the code directly from my page, as desired. It was
                            written by Brian Gosselin, I believe.
                            I added the cursor-pointer to the expandable links which someone had
                            suggested, and
                            I added the following code from Lokrin, and, as a result, was able to
                            eliminate the ONLY image file on that page, and it works perfect in IE
                            but not in N/N 7.1(the page is ONE html file plus the small dot js
                            file,) so should load quickly, now.
                            The expand links don't work at all in old N/N 4.7, so I'll get some old
                            members to upgrade their old browsers (maybe)...
                            (I do not know if the page will validate.)

                            Lokrin wrote:
                            1) in your style section, add:

                            .vertical {
                            font-style: italic;
                            font-weight: bold;
                            writing-mode: tb-rl;
                            font-size: 18pt;
                            color: #ff0000;
                            }

                            Gary Badger wrote:

                            > Seecurb,
                            >
                            > Sorry I'm a bit slow to go through my messages. CSS is not something I'm
                            > strong on, so I'll just say that I really like the look of the page,
                            > especially the expand / collapse JS. Great stuff, and I'd expect nothing
                            > less in the badger state!
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            >
                            > Gary.

                          • Lokrin
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003

                              =D

                              Maybe next April Fool's Day....

                              - - - - -
                              "Grown-ups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for
                              children to be always and forever explaining things to them."
                              The Little Prince
                              Lokrin (TechAss)
                              Technical Assailant
                              http://lokrin.net
                              - - - -

                              > CIGHTML folks can use the code directly from my page, as desired. It was
                              > written by Brian Gosselin, I believe.
                              > I added the cursor-pointer to the expandable links which someone had
                              > suggested, and
                              > I added the following code from Lokrin, and, as a result, was able to
                              > eliminate the ONLY image file on that page, and it works perfect in IE
                              > but not in N/N 7.1(the page is ONE html file plus the small dot js
                              > file,) so should load quickly, now.
                              > The expand links don't work at all in old N/N 4.7, so I'll get some old
                              > members to upgrade their old browsers (maybe)...
                              > (I do not know if the page will validate.)
                              >
                              > Lokrin wrote:
                              > 1) in your style section, add:
                              >
                              > .vertical {
                              > font-style: italic;
                              > font-weight: bold;
                              > writing-mode: tb-rl;
                              > font-size: 18pt;
                              > color: #ff0000;
                              > }
                              >
                              > 2) In the body, make the following changes:
                              >
                              > <TD width=22 bgColor=#0000dd> </TD>
                              > <TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(225,255,245)" width=16>
                              > <!-- this is the change -->
                              > <!-- end of changed code -->
                              > </TD>
                              > <TD width=22 bgColor=#00aa00> </TD>
                              > <TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(225,255,245)" width=10> </TD>

                              ---
                              Outgoing male is certified Virus Free.
                            • Mike 'yomcat' Welsh
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
                                on 5/12/03 12:58 AM, seecurb at seecurb@... wrote:

                                > I added the following code from Lokrin, and, as a result, was able to
                                > eliminate the ONLY image file on that page, and it works perfect in IE
                                > but not in N/N 7.1(the page is ONE html file plus the small dot js
                                > file,) so should load quickly, now.
                                The image wasn't that bad. It loaded fast before (and I'm on dialup).

                                The vertical doesn't work in IE 5 Mac.
                                --
                                Mike Welsh
                                Proud to be 98% Microsoft Free