Re: [cightml] site changes info

  • Joshua
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
      Renders fine in Firebird 0.6.1, save for some broken
      graphics. And that is some messy code... Leave it to
      Microsoft! Pssh.

      Josh
      --- daja300@... wrote:
      > Also any tests in NS versions would be appreciated.

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Franki
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
        Joshua wrote:

        >Renders fine in Firebird 0.6.1, save for some broken
        >graphics. And that is some messy code... Leave it to
        >Microsoft! Pssh.
        >
        >Josh
        >--- daja300@... wrote:
        >

        >>Also any tests in NS versions would be appreciated.

        Thats really interesting.. I only just downloaded and tried Firebird
        and Thunderbird for my laptop a week ago, I must say, I've very
        impressed, its small, fast and does all the cool stuff.
        I have been working on a new version of the stats counter lately, (the
        old one has been downloaded nearly 1500 times now) and I added Firebird
        detection to it..
        I was surprised to find that we have already had 60 visits from Firebird
        uses this month, so its getting popular fast...

        As for that page, that is microsofts version of XML, its abit of a mess,
        but oddly enough it rendered well enough in both mozilla full ver and
        firebird.

        rgds

        Franki
      • Don Passenger
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
          > I need to get back with them for more info
          >
          > Any recommendations?
          >
          > <A HREF="http://www.virtualrouting.com/">http://www.virtualrouting.com</A>

          Tell them you will recode the entire site so that it is:
          a. faster
          b. smaller in file size
          c. more consistent in rendering from browser to browser
          d. easier to modify correctly in the furture

          Take the look they have and recode it.
        • Gary Badger
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
            What Don said, plus:
            e. compliant with W3C XHTML standards
            ;o)

            Cheers,
            Gary.
            > > I need to get back with them for more info
            > >
            > > Any recommendations?
            > >
            > > <A
            HREF="http://www.virtualrouting.com/">http://www.virtualrouting.com</A>

            > Tell them you will recode the entire site so that it is:
            > a. faster
            > b. smaller in file size
            > c. more consistent in rendering from browser to browser
            > d. easier to modify correctly in the furture
            >
            > Take the look they have and recode it.
            >

            > To unsubscribe from the Yahoo Group, send an email to:
            >
            > This list is for readers of Paul McFedries' CIG to Creating a Web Page.
            >
            > Messages prior to 2002 are also archived at http://www.mcfedries.com.

          • Don Passenger
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
              good point which means it has some hope of displaying critical info on
              non-computer platforms

              --

              Don Passenger
            • Joshua
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
                In case you're interested, there's a 0.7 release
                candidate out for Firebird. It's at:

                http://ftp26moz.newaol.com/pub/firebird/nightly/latest-trunk/

                As for Thunderbird, I'm waiting until they get a newer
                release out... No particular reason as yet, I just
                don't feel it's ready.

                Josh
                --- Franki <franki@...> wrote:
                > Thats really interesting.. I only just downloaded
                > and tried Firebird
                > and Thunderbird for my laptop a week ago, I must
                > say, I've very
                > impressed, its small, fast and does all the cool
                > stuff.

                =====

                http://shopping.yahoo.com
              • Ed Brown
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
                  Joshua wrote:

                  >In case you're interested, there's a 0.7 release
                  >candidate out for Firebird. It's at:
                  >
                  >http://ftp26moz.newaol.com/pub/firebird/nightly/latest-trunk/
                  >
                  >As for Thunderbird, I'm waiting until they get a newer
                  >release out... No particular reason as yet, I just
                  >don't feel it's ready.
                  >
                  >Josh
                  >--- Franki <franki@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >>Thats really interesting.. I only just downloaded
                  >>and tried Firebird
                  >>and Thunderbird for my laptop a week ago, I must
                  >>say, I've very
                  >>impressed, its small, fast and does all the cool
                  >>stuff.
                  >>

                  >=====
                  >

                  >__________________________________

                  I tried to look at the page for downloading Firebird using Mozilla, it
                  will not open the pages, and neither will it open the comics on my
                  newspaper, it says it cannot find them. I have no trouble in IE. I
                  wonder what I have checked in Mozilla that will not let it open the
                  pages. I wanted to try out Firebird and Thundbird. I am using XP Pro
                  and Mozilla 4.1.
                  Ed
                • Joshua
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
                    I don't remember Mozilla having a 4.1 release.. Maybe
                    you mean Netscape? :/

                    Josh

                    http://shopping.yahoo.com
                  • daja300@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
                      Well folks thanks so far. I gathered more info from the client and need to
                      get back with him on a price. However, he can handle his own database [php] and
                      is using php.

                      He agreed for me to recode the entire site with the same look and feel which
                      is really not a problem.

                      The site is been designed for students to log in and they are given scheduled
                      rack time in 4 - 6 hrs increments. It's concerning Cisco Routers. So the
                      database [I would imagine] somehow has to be able to check and log the time each
                      student can remain on the site for that session and let them know when their
                      time expires.

                      He might need advise on that end of it. That is, how best to implement the
                      php/mysql database for that purpose. He will be running on a Unix box. I did not
                      get version yet.

                      I have done php/mysql database before but I do not have much experience at it
                      so I cannot give him any tips. I really never had much time to learn it
                      anyway.

                      If it comes down to him needing help in making it all work [databasewise] I
                      am willing to take on one more person to help on that end of it if someone is
                      willing.

                      Of course email me privately so we can discus prices, etc.

                      The site again is

                      <A HREF="www.vistualrouting.com">www.virtualrouting.com</A>

                      Thanks
                      Dave

                    • Mike "yomcat" Welsh
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
                        on 2/10/03 5:03 AM, Joshua at errantstory@... wrote:

                        > I don't remember Mozilla having a 4.1 release.. Maybe
                        > you mean Netscape? :/
                        1.4.1 could be confused with 4.1 by some people. I'm running 1.2.1, and its
                        a cheap port.
                        --
                        yomcat
                        http://www.geocities.com/yomcat/untitled.htm
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
                          Got the numbers turned around how about 1.4

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
                            Ah.. Okay. Firebird 0.6.1 is based off the 1.5-ALPHA
                            trunk (actually it's the other way around I think), so
                            maybe it's got some optimizations and enhancements to
                            the code.

                            Josh

                            http://shopping.yahoo.com