Perl Primer tutes now online at http://htmlfixit.com.. and changes to the CIGHTMLinks page.

  • Franki
    Message 1 of 26 , May 1, 2003
      Hi people,

      Hasn't been a post here for a while, so I figured I'd write one..

      Firstly, the first 5 perl primers are online now at http://htmlfixit.com in
      the tutorials section. I am adding about one a day now.
      So if you were interested.. drop in and critique them for me..

      Secondly
      I will be making some improvements to the script that generates the CIGHTML
      members links page..
      I have learned that it helps ranking at google to have an accurate page
      description for each link, so I will be providing the means for people to
      add a small summary to their links..

      I will also be removing any dead links..

      As soon as the new setup is working, I'll let you know, and you can some and
      add your links again.
      (I'll leave the old list contents in there as well for now.)

      Thirdly, What other sort of stuff do you think we should put in the
      htmlfixit.com tutorial section??
      I was thinking of adding basic tutorials for MySQL database and SQL
      statements and maybe a tute for setting up your own linux web server. Any
      suggestions??

      regards

      Franki
    • Gary Badger
      Message 2 of 26 , May 1, 2003
        Franki,

        In relation to your 3rd point, one thing you and I have discussed and I've
        never really got is using SSH or telnet. It confuses the hell out of me. Is
        that appropriate for a tutorial?

        Keep up the great work!

        Cheers,

        Gary
        http://www.mattman.com.au/
        http://www.embossingtapesupplies.com.au/

        "Better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

        > Hasn't been a post here for a while, so I figured I'd write one..
        >
        > Firstly, the first 5 perl primers are online now at http://htmlfixit.com
        in
        > the tutorials section. I am adding about one a day now.
        > So if you were interested.. drop in and critique them for me..
        >
        > Secondly
        > I will be making some improvements to the script that generates the
        CIGHTML
        > members links page..
        > I have learned that it helps ranking at google to have an accurate page
        > description for each link, so I will be providing the means for people to
        > add a small summary to their links..
        >
        > I will also be removing any dead links..
        >
        > As soon as the new setup is working, I'll let you know, and you can some
        and
        > add your links again.
        > (I'll leave the old list contents in there as well for now.)
        >
        > Thirdly, What other sort of stuff do you think we should put in the
        > htmlfixit.com tutorial section??
        > I was thinking of adding basic tutorials for MySQL database and SQL
        > statements and maybe a tute for setting up your own linux web server. Any
        > suggestions??
        >

        > regards
        >
        > Franki
        >

        > To unsubscribe from the Yahoo Group, send an email to:
        >
        > This list is for readers of Paul McFedries' CIG to Creating a Web Page.
        >
        > Messages prior to 2002 are also archived at http://www.mcfedries.com.

      • Franki
        Message 3 of 26 , May 1, 2003
          Thats already on the list mr Gary...

          Want to do tutes on ssh/telnet and unix command line stuff (since most of
          the time what you are connecting to with FTP/ssh/telnet is a unix machine)

          thanks for the tip...

          rgds

          Franki

          > Hasn't been a post here for a while, so I figured I'd write one..
          >
          > Firstly, the first 5 perl primers are online now at http://htmlfixit.com
          in
          > the tutorials section. I am adding about one a day now.
          > So if you were interested.. drop in and critique them for me..
          >
          > Secondly
          > I will be making some improvements to the script that generates the
          CIGHTML
          > members links page..
          > I have learned that it helps ranking at google to have an accurate page
          > description for each link, so I will be providing the means for people to
          > add a small summary to their links..
          >
          > I will also be removing any dead links..
          >
          > As soon as the new setup is working, I'll let you know, and you can some
          and
          > add your links again.
          > (I'll leave the old list contents in there as well for now.)
          >
          > Thirdly, What other sort of stuff do you think we should put in the
          > htmlfixit.com tutorial section??
          > I was thinking of adding basic tutorials for MySQL database and SQL
          > statements and maybe a tute for setting up your own linux web server. Any
          > suggestions??
          >

          > regards
          >
          > Franki
          >

          > To unsubscribe from the Yahoo Group, send an email to:
          >
          > This list is for readers of Paul McFedries' CIG to Creating a Web Page.
          >
          > Messages prior to 2002 are also archived at http://www.mcfedries.com.

          To unsubscribe from the Yahoo Group, send an email to:

          This list is for readers of Paul McFedries' CIG to Creating a Web Page.

          Messages prior to 2002 are also archived at http://www.mcfedries.com.

        • Mike "yomcat" Welsh
          Message 4 of 26 , May 2, 2003
            on 2/5/03 5:13 PM, Gary Badger at garybadger67@... wrote:

            > Thirdly, What other sort of stuff do you think we should put in the
            > htmlfixit.com tutorial section??

            How to use common apps, such as FTP clients, HTML editors and the like.
            --
            yomcat
            http://ww2.northernswamp.com/forums
            Message 5 of 26 , May 2, 2003
              Great idea Franki,

              One suggestion, since so many CIGHTML members use
              different editors for their web page design, why not
              have a review done by those who just LOVE their HTML
              editors.

              You can post the reviews for the the surfers to your
              page.

              Frank H.

              =====
              PLEASE: Reply through text message LINK below.
              4164541089@... Thanks & Blessings,
              Frank

            • Franki
              Message 6 of 26 , May 2, 2003
                Yes, Mike, (yomcat) is already going to do some tutorials for MAC FTP and
                Pagespinner HTML editor software...

                I'd love people to write little tutorials and tips for their favorite
                software...
                take some screenshots.. stuff like that...

                I think Don plans to do some PSP (Paint Shop Pro) tutes..

                I am going to cover the FTP/SSH/Telnet basics and usage with good free
                windows tools..

                Anyone that thinks they have picked up some knowledge that others might
                benefit from is welcome to help out and knock up a tutorial...

                anyone interested in adding.. gets full credit. and probably the thanks of
                people that have been in the same place as you once were...

                That was Don's and my idea in the first place...

                Message 7 of 26 , May 3, 2003
                  Hey guys,
                  i wanted to comment before i delete this email. i'm on two groups and the
                  other is over active and my daily work plus homelife is hindering my web
                  building.
                  anyway,
                  The reason I chose to buy Paul's book out of about 10 other html books i
                  picked up at the library and tried to use was the fact it was the most "user
                  friendly". I think most tutorials have more words than necessary and could
                  be written much shorter and more in laymen terms for them to be truly
                  helpful. i still haven't jumped into the CSS yet but it seems from this
                  group i have gotten better, simple instructions, than from any of the
                  tutorials i've seen and i've printed out two or three already. If you guys
                  could keep that in mind while writing your tutorials, i know myself and
                  others would appreciate short-easy lessons. maybe even with links to the
                  definitions to words they may not know, that space and time would not be
                  wasted in the tutorial defining words the visitors do know.

                  my 2cents again,
                  thanks to everyone!
                  caren
                  http://www.hstreasures.com