Capture/save a web site.

  • Gordon Reeder
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 15, 2011
      Anybody know of a utility or Firefox plugin that will capture and save
      an image
      of a web site? I need this for a documentation project.

      A screen capture would work; but, it would only capture the part of the
      web page on the screen. I need to capture the whole page.
    • John Sapyta
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 15, 2011
        Does PrtScn work for you?

        On Mar 15, 2011, at 5:28 PM, Gordon Reeder <greeder@...> wrote:

        > Anybody know of a utility or Firefox plugin that will capture and save
        > an image
        > of a web site? I need this for a documentation project.
        >
        > A screen capture would work; but, it would only capture the part of the
        > web page on the screen. I need to capture the whole page.

      • Miro Perdoch
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 16, 2011
          well, i do screen captures often (as i have to back-up the layout of web pages and the offer on them for internal audit purposes)
          and the fastest way is the PrtScn button on the keyboard - if the page is longer, i do several PrintScreens and paste them together in a graphic editor.For that i use Adobe PhotoShop - pasting several layers (PrintScreens) is a piece of cake compare to the "saving as a web page" feature in browsers like IE
          regards

          Miro Perdoch

          miro500@...

        • Gary Badger
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 16, 2011
            Hi Gordon,

            Easy! You can get a full page shot at http://browsershots.org/ in 64
            different browsers.

            This is the full page, not just a window like Print Screen would give you.

            Cheers,
            Gary.

            Anybody know of a utility or Firefox plugin that will capture and save
            an image
            of a web site? I need this for a documentation project.

            A screen capture would work; but, it would only capture the part of the
            web page on the screen. I need to capture the whole page.

            This list is for readers of Paul McFedries' CIG to Creating a Web Page.

            Messages prior to 2002 are also archived at http://www.mcfedries.com

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Don
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 16, 2011
              For archive purposes I often use httrack and turn off images completely
              (I know different than the question). You can also use it to back up
              the entire site with images. Of course you can do the same thing with a
              disk and ftp as well in many cases unless the content is dynamic.

              On 3/16/2011 4:38 AM, Gary Badger wrote:
              > Hi Gordon,
              >
              > Easy! You can get a full page shot at http://browsershots.org/ in 64
              > different browsers.
              >
              > This is the full page, not just a window like Print Screen would give you.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Gary.
            • leverman59
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 16, 2011
                --- In cightml@yahoogroups.com, Gordon Reeder <greeder@...> wrote:

                > Anybody know of a utility or Firefox plugin that will capture and save
                > an image
                > of a web site? I need this for a documentation project.
                >
                > A screen capture would work; but, it would only capture the part of the
                > web page on the screen. I need to capture the whole page.

                Print to PDF
              • Gordon Reeder
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 21, 2011
                  On 3/16/2011 10:23 AM, leverman59 wrote:

                  > --- In cightml@yahoogroups.com, Gordon Reeder<greeder@...> wrote:
                  >> Anybody know of a utility or Firefox plugin that will capture and save
                  >> an image
                  >> of a web site? I need this for a documentation project.
                  >>
                  >> A screen capture would work; but, it would only capture the part of the
                  >> web page on the screen. I need to capture the whole page.
                  >>

                  > Print to PDF

                  Sounds like a good idea. How would I go about that?
                • Don Passenger
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 21, 2011
                    I have a great freeware program I use for pdf printing. PDF redirect v2.

                    Open the page, click print, select that as your printer, save it.

                    You need I think to select print background to actually get the true
                    save you may be looking for.

                    On 3/21/2011 9:24 PM, Gordon Reeder wrote:
                    > On 3/16/2011 10:23 AM, leverman59 wrote:
                    >>
                    >> --- In cightml@yahoogroups.com, Gordon Reeder<greeder@...> wrote:
                    >>> Anybody know of a utility or Firefox plugin that will capture and save
                    >>> an image
                    >>> of a web site? I need this for a documentation project.
                    >>>
                    >>> A screen capture would work; but, it would only capture the part of the
                    >>> web page on the screen. I need to capture the whole page.
                    >>>

                    >> Print to PDF
                    >>

                    > Sounds like a good idea. How would I go about that?
                  • garybadger67
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 22, 2011
                      Only problem with this PDF solution is that your page will be formatted to print to paper with page breaks etc, and not necessarily reflect screen appearance. Also PDF files do not readily lend themselves to being imported into Office files, if that's important to you.

                      If formatting to print isn't ideal I recommend the browsershots.org solution I suggested last week, which will give you a full png image of your web page.

                      Cheers
                      Gary