Building a website.

  • John S. Sapyta.
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 13, 2010
      Hey all,

      A friend of mine to me that his girl wants to build a website that has to do with science, and me not building websites don't really know what to tell her.

      I think she just wants something simple with couple links and such and share the info.

      I told him that she should get Paul's HTML book and get NVU as a html editor. Is there anything
      that I should ask?

    • Miro Perdoch
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 13, 2010
        well, paul's book will do the job,
        as long as she has the computer with internet browser and a text editor (like Notepad, etc) as well as some image editor, scanner, etc
        that would be a good start

        Miro Perdoch

        http://www.acewebdesign.eu

        miro500@...

        To: cightml@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 13, 2010
          Nah, just get a server that will allow you to install wordpress with a
          one click install ... it's all simple after that. Design is for the
          perfectionists or the rich.

          Don

          On 9/13/2010 1:16 PM, John S. Sapyta. wrote:
          > Hey all,
          >
          > A friend of mine to me that his girl wants to build a website that has to do with science, and me not building websites don't really know what to tell her.
          >
          > I think she just wants something simple with couple links and such and share the info.
          >
          > I told him that she should get Paul's HTML book and get NVU as a html editor. Is there anything
          > that I should ask?

        • Bill Eastman
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 13, 2010
            What's Wordpress like? I still have notepad using tables instead of css at
            WWW.Ke5asu.com/links.html

            Sent from my HTC EVO
            Bill Eastman

            On Sep 13, 2010 12:21 PM, "Don Passenger" <dpasseng@...> wrote:
            > Nah, just get a server that will allow you to install wordpress with a
            > one click install ... it's all simple after that. Design is for the
            > perfectionists or the rich.
            >
            > Don
            >
            > On 9/13/2010 1:16 PM, John S. Sapyta. wrote:
            >> Hey all,
            >>
            >> A friend of mine to me that his girl wants to build a website that has to
            do with science, and me not building websites don't really know what to tell
            her.

            >> I think she just wants something simple with couple links and such and
            share the info.

            >> I told him that she should get Paul's HTML book and get NVU as a html
            editor. Is there anything
            >> that I should ask?

          • Miro Perdoch
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 13, 2010
              oh come on :)
              there is nothing better then a web site designed by someone that actually understands the source code.
              it gives you so much flexibility that no templates (however high-tech they may be) are not good enough
              these modern CMS systems with extremely simple GUIs are nice, but they look all the same to the eye of an internet user...
              they look cheap :) uninteresting :)
              John, tell your friend i will be happy to design web site for her
              Miro Perdoch

              http://www.acewebdesign.eu

              miro500@...

              To: cightml@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 13, 2010
                That is one ugly website design.

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 13, 2010
                  I think she wants to do it on her own, just doesn't know, the stuff after she design it, for that matter neither do I. LOL

                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 13, 2010
                    Oh crap, sorry Bill, I didn't see it was yours.

                    73's
                    John-n7xlq

                    On Sep 13, 2010, at 10:40 AM, Bill Eastman <bill.eastman@...> wrote:

                    > What's Wordpress like? I still have notepad using tables instead of css at
                    > WWW.Ke5asu.com/links.html
                    >
                    > Sent from my HTC EVO
                    > Bill Eastman
                    >
                    > On Sep 13, 2010 12:21 PM, "Don Passenger" <dpasseng@...> wrote:
                    > > Nah, just get a server that will allow you to install wordpress with a
                    > > one click install ... it's all simple after that. Design is for the
                    > > perfectionists or the rich.
                    > >
                    > > Don
                    > >
                    > > On 9/13/2010 1:16 PM, John S. Sapyta. wrote:
                    > >> Hey all,
                    > >>
                    > >> A friend of mine to me that his girl wants to build a website that has to
                    > do with science, and me not building websites don't really know what to tell
                    > her.
                    > >>
                    > >> I think she just wants something simple with couple links and such and
                    > share the info.
                    > >>
                    > >> I told him that she should get Paul's HTML book and get NVU as a html
                    > editor. Is there anything
                    > >> that I should ask?

                  • Dale Cockle
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 13, 2010
                      John,

                      In addition to the other recommendations, I suggest that you point her to the Writing HTML course that can be done online or downloaded and done offline. It's at:
                      <http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/intro.html>.
                      It's a bit dated but it sure teaches the basics of HTML in an easy to understand manner. It's a great foundation on which to base all the new stuff.

                      Re Wordpress, this might be helpful:
                      <http://manuals.makeuseof.com.s3.amazonaws.com/MakeUseOf.com_-_WordPress.pdf>.

                      Re Joomla (not mentioned yet), this might be helpful:
                      <http://manuals.makeuseof.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Joomla-Guide-Final.pdf>.

                      Regards, Dale....
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

                      At 12:16 PM 9/13/2010, you wrote:
                      >To: "cightml list" <cightml@yahoogroups.com>
                      >From: "John S. Sapyta." <jsapyta@...>
                      >Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 10:16:03 -0700
                      >Subject: [cightml] Building a website.
                      >

                      >Hey all,
                      >
                      >A friend of mine to me that his girl wants to build a website that has to do with science, and me not building websites don't really know what to tell her.
                      >
                      >I think she just wants something simple with couple links and such and share the info.
                      >
                      >I told him that she should get Paul's HTML book and get NVU as a html editor. Is there anything
                      >that I should ask?
                    • derek watson
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 13, 2010
                        besides which, Bill, you can now do CSS tables! i agree, if she has
                        time to go thru Paul's latest and include CSS it will do her much good
                        and be much more satisfying.
                        Derek

                        On 9/14/2010 4:48 AM, John Sapyta wrote:

                        > Oh crap, sorry Bill, I didn't see it was yours.
                        >
                        > 73's
                        > John-n7xlq
                        >
                        > On Sep 13, 2010, at 10:40 AM, Bill Eastman <bill.eastman@...
                        > <mailto:bill.eastman%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                        >
                        > > What's Wordpress like? I still have notepad using tables instead of
                        > css at
                        > > WWW.Ke5asu.com/links.html
                        > >
                        > > Sent from my HTC EVO
                        > > Bill Eastman
                        > >
                        > > On Sep 13, 2010 12:21 PM, "Don Passenger" <dpasseng@...
                        > <mailto:dpasseng%40iserv.net>> wrote:
                        > > > Nah, just get a server that will allow you to install wordpress with a
                        > > > one click install ... it's all simple after that. Design is for the
                        > > > perfectionists or the rich.
                        > > >
                        > > > Don

                        > that has to
                        > > do with science, and me not building websites don't really know what
                        > to tell
                        > > her.

                        > such and
                        > > share the info.

                        > > editor. Is there anything

                      • K5JIC
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 14, 2010

                          --- In cightml@yahoogroups.com, "John S. Sapyta." <jsapyta@...> wrote:

                          > Hey all,
                          >
                          > A friend of mine to me that his girl wants to build a website that has to do with science, and me not building websites don't really know what to tell her.
                          >
                          > I think she just wants something simple with couple links and such and share the info.
                          >
                          > I told him that she should get Paul's HTML book and get NVU as a html editor. Is there anything
                          > that I should ask?

                        • Dale Cockle
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 14, 2010

                            At 12:16 PM 9/13/2010, you wrote:
                            >To: "cightml list" <cightml@yahoogroups.com>
                            >From: "John S. Sapyta." <jsapyta@...>
                            >Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 10:16:03 -0700
                            >Subject: [cightml] Building a website.
                            >

                            >Hey all,
                            >
                            >A friend of mine to me that his girl wants to build a website that has to do with science, and me not building websites don't really know what to tell her.
                            >
                            >I think she just wants something simple with couple links and such and share the info.
                            >
                            >I told him that she should get Paul's HTML book and get NVU as a html editor. Is there anything
                            >that I should ask?
                          • John S. Sapyta.
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 14, 2010
                              Hey guys,

                              Thanks very much for your help I sure will forward these suggestions to her.

                              The other day when I was chatting with her via Skype, she was showing me couple of
                              website design pages that have webpage templates, I personally don't know if I should lead her
                              down that path or not. That's why I mentioned Paul's book, cause that how we all learned, right? :) And that's probably a good way to go. What I'm little foggy about is where should she put her page up. I know she probably could put it up on their ISP for free (Charter) if they offer any webpage space for there customers, or she could find a local isp and do it there, but that might cost her more than she could afford..

                              Keep the suggestions or questions coming if you have any.

                              John
                              http://www.sapyta.com

                            • Bill Eastman
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 14, 2010
                                I use WWW.daddy.com because re only offers their GUI junk.

                                Sent from my HTC EVO
                                Bill Eastman

                                On Sep 14, 2010 1:28 PM, "John S. Sapyta." <jsapyta@...> wrote:
                                > Hey guys,
                                >
                                > Thanks very much for your help I sure will forward these suggestions to
                                her.

                                > The other day when I was chatting with her via Skype, she was showing me
                                couple of
                                > website design pages that have webpage templates, I personally don't know
                                if I should lead her
                                > down that path or not. That's why I mentioned Paul's book, cause that how
                                we all learned, right? :) And that's probably a good way to go. What I'm
                                little foggy about is where should she put her page up. I know she probably
                                could put it up on their ISP for free (Charter) if they offer any webpage
                                space for there customers, or she could find a local isp and do it there,
                                but that might cost her more than she could afford..

                                > Keep the suggestions or questions coming if you have any.
                                >
                                > John
                                > http://www.sapyta.com

                              • Bill Eastman
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 14, 2010
                                  Yes...the phone thinks it know better

                                  Sent from my HTC EVO
                                  Bill Eastman

                                  On Sep 14, 2010 3:37 PM, "John Sapyta" <jsapyta@...> wrote:
                                  > U mean godady
                                  >

                                  > On Sep 14, 2010, at 1:06 PM, Bill Eastman <bill.eastman@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> I use WWW.daddy.com because re only offers their GUI junk.
                                  >>
                                  >> Sent from my HTC EVO
                                  >> Bill Eastman
                                  >>
                                  >> On Sep 14, 2010 1:28 PM, "John S. Sapyta." <jsapyta@...> wrote:
                                  >> > Hey guys,
                                  >> >
                                  >> > Thanks very much for your help I sure will forward these suggestions to
                                  >> her.
                                  >> >
                                  >> > The other day when I was chatting with her via Skype, she was showing
                                  me
                                  >> couple of
                                  >> > website design pages that have webpage templates, I personally don't
                                  know
                                  >> if I should lead her
                                  >> > down that path or not. That's why I mentioned Paul's book, cause that
                                  how
                                  >> we all learned, right? :) And that's probably a good way to go. What I'm
                                  >> little foggy about is where should she put her page up. I know she
                                  probably
                                  >> could put it up on their ISP for free (Charter) if they offer any webpage
                                  >> space for there customers, or she could find a local isp and do it there,
                                  >> but that might cost her more than she could afford..
                                  >> >
                                  >> > Keep the suggestions or questions coming if you have any.
                                  >> >
                                  >> > John
                                  >> > http://www.sapyta.com

                                • John Sapyta
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 14, 2010
                                    U mean godady

                                    On Sep 14, 2010, at 1:06 PM, Bill Eastman <bill.eastman@...> wrote:

                                    > I use WWW.daddy.com because re only offers their GUI junk.
                                    >
                                    > Sent from my HTC EVO
                                    > Bill Eastman
                                    >
                                    > On Sep 14, 2010 1:28 PM, "John S. Sapyta." <jsapyta@...> wrote:
                                    > > Hey guys,
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks very much for your help I sure will forward these suggestions to
                                    > her.
                                    > >
                                    > > The other day when I was chatting with her via Skype, she was showing me
                                    > couple of
                                    > > website design pages that have webpage templates, I personally don't know
                                    > if I should lead her
                                    > > down that path or not. That's why I mentioned Paul's book, cause that how
                                    > we all learned, right? :) And that's probably a good way to go. What I'm
                                    > little foggy about is where should she put her page up. I know she probably
                                    > could put it up on their ISP for free (Charter) if they offer any webpage
                                    > space for there customers, or she could find a local isp and do it there,
                                    > but that might cost her more than she could afford..
                                    > >
                                    > > Keep the suggestions or questions coming if you have any.
                                    > >
                                    > > John
                                    > > http://www.sapyta.com

                                  • Deborah Krauss Smith
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 14, 2010
                                      Hi all,

                                      I have used a free hosting service at http://www.doteasy.com/ for years and have several websites with them...and have always been very happy with them, including their customer service. You can register your own domain name with them, and their domain fee is pretty reasonable (least expensive is for 5 years), especially considering you don't get nickel-and-dimed for every plug-in or extra you'd like to use, as I've seen with other hosting services/site builders.

                                      Good luck. ---Deb

                                    • John S. Sapyta.
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 14, 2010
                                        Been there with mine.

                                        On Sep 14, 2010, at 1:39 PM, Bill Eastman <bill.eastman@...> wrote:

                                        > Yes...the phone thinks it know better
                                        >
                                        > Sent from my HTC EVO
                                        > Bill Eastman
                                        >
                                        > On Sep 14, 2010 3:37 PM, "John Sapyta" <jsapyta@...> wrote:
                                        > > U mean godady
                                        > >

                                        > > On Sep 14, 2010, at 1:06 PM, Bill Eastman <bill.eastman@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > >> I use WWW.daddy.com because re only offers their GUI junk.
                                        > >>
                                        > >> Sent from my HTC EVO
                                        > >> Bill Eastman

                                        > >> her.

                                        > me
                                        > >> couple of
                                        > know
                                        > >> if I should lead her
                                        > how
                                        > >> we all learned, right? :) And that's probably a good way to go. What I'm
                                        > >> little foggy about is where should she put her page up. I know she
                                        > probably
                                        > >> could put it up on their ISP for free (Charter) if they offer any webpage
                                        > >> space for there customers, or she could find a local isp and do it there,
                                        > >> but that might cost her more than she could afford..

                                      • Dave
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 16, 2010
                                          I am sure he can see it's ugly. LOL!

                                          ________________________________
                                          Oh crap, sorry Bill, I didn't see it was yours.

                                          73's
                                          John-n7xlq

                                          On Sep 13, 2010, at 10:40 AM, Bill Eastman <bill.eastman@...> wrote:

                                          > What's Wordpress like? I still have notepad using tables instead of css at
                                          > WWW.Ke5asu.com/links.html
                                          >
                                          > Sent from my HTC EVO
                                          > Bill Eastman
                                          >
                                          > On Sep 13, 2010 12:21 PM, "Don Passenger" <dpasseng@...> wrote:
                                          > > Nah, just get a server that will allow you to install wordpress with a
                                          > > one click install ... it's all simple after that. Design is for the
                                          > > perfectionists or the rich.
                                          > >
                                          > > Don
                                          > >
                                          > > On 9/13/2010 1:16 PM, John S. Sapyta. wrote:
                                          > >> Hey all,
                                          > >>
                                          > >> A friend of mine to me that his girl wants to build a website that has to
                                          > do with science, and me not building websites don't really know what to tell
                                          > her.
                                          > >>
                                          > >> I think she just wants something simple with couple links and such and
                                          > share the info.
                                          > >>
                                          > >> I told him that she should get Paul's HTML book and get NVU as a html
                                          > editor. Is there anything
                                          > >> that I should ask?

                                        • Dave
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 16, 2010
                                            Actually wordpress can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be in my
                                            opinion. You can really fool anyone into thinking that your site was not
                                            designed in wp. You don't even have to use post if you really don't want to.

                                            On one website I am building for a client I offer social network/cms
                                            capabilities. I offer templates for those that need starter sites. The initial
                                            templates show no evidence of wordpress anywhere on the pages. So it's just a
                                            matter of how complex you want to get and you really don't have to be a theme or
                                            plugin developer to do it.

                                            It does help however, to know some css and basic html and a few php hacks if
                                            needed as well as how to edit your theme php files and either create your own
                                            child themes or find some preconfigured ones. Otherwise your changes WILL break
                                            on future updates if not done right. However, If you you want complete and
                                            total flexibility then I agree, learn to code. There is nothing like it.

                                            I learned html over at webdiner.com long before finding paul's book but of
                                            course it is not a prerequisite. I think it is a great book however.

                                            What direction one takes though of course depends on the individual, their
                                            time, their aspirations, their goals, their learning speed, finances, etc.

                                            If you've never hosted before it can be a very daunting experience. Just weigh
                                            what everyone here is recommending. There is really no perfect host. The
                                            perfect host to you is the one that meets all your specific needs or comes
                                            close but that still doesn't make the host perfect. Currently I use
                                            bluehost.com They had a special at the time and I had the special money. They
                                            are not too bad though. ixwebhosting got too slow so I left.

                                            Bottom line though, you need to weigh all these options and find your corner.

                                            Dave