New to list

  • Pam Parker
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2010
      Hi,

      I needed some additional help in HTML and page design and found your
      group. Lucky! Though I've been building sites for more than 10 years
      (taught myself HTML), I'm still learning. Would you believe I started
      online life on a WebTV? Though I'm on a PC (taught myself that too!), I
      look at some of my old pages and wonder how I ever pulled it off with a
      set-top browser.

      Anyway, I do have one HTML, web page related question. I'm thinking of
      making a site map, but what goes into it? I've seen them from very plain
      to jazzed up with flash and such, but I want the former. I
      just need some pointers Re: formatting. I don't mean image maps as I've
      made dozens of those. Do I really need such anyway? Thanks!

      Pam
    • John Sapyta
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 13, 2010
        Hi Pam, congrats on doing HTML web page design, that's for ever in web design.

        If you mind posting the url to the site you're working on then we can see what's
        the best way to go. But for right now I would create a separate page and create
        links to other pages on your website. What I used to do is put the links to other pages
        that are on website at the bottom of each page so people know where they are and where
        they can go

        John.

        On May 27, 2010, at 6:59 PM, "Pam Parker" <crazedwriter@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I needed some additional help in HTML and page design and found your
        > group. Lucky! Though I've been building sites for more than 10 years
        > (taught myself HTML), I'm still learning. Would you believe I started
        > online life on a WebTV? Though I'm on a PC (taught myself that too!), I
        > look at some of my old pages and wonder how I ever pulled it off with a
        > set-top browser.
        >
        > Anyway, I do have one HTML, web page related question. I'm thinking of
        > making a site map, but what goes into it? I've seen them from very plain
        > to jazzed up with flash and such, but I want the former. I
        > just need some pointers Re: formatting. I don't mean image maps as I've
        > made dozens of those. Do I really need such anyway? Thanks!
        >
        > Pam

      • Miro Perdoch
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 14, 2010
          hi pam
          ideally your sitemap page will contain links to all the pages of your web site. Depending on the size of your web site, they should be logically categorized and short (but descriptive enough at the same time)
          I would recommend using this sitemap on your error pages (404s, etc) as well
          see sample:
          http://www.upc.sk/mapa-stranok/
          and an error page
          http://www.upc.sk/mapa-stranok/cightml
          best regards

          Miro Perdoch

          http://www.acewebdesign.eu

          miro500@...

        • Emil Payne
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 14, 2010
            I second the recommendation of providing a link. Site maps can be
            complicated or simple, depending on the overall site. Not just the
            number of pages, but the type of site and the theme. I had a site of
            several hundred pages that consisted of stories like Alice in Wonderland
            and Hiawatha. Each story had several pages. Hiawatha had over 50 pages
            by itself. However, I didn't list each and every page of each story.
            Just the first page and any special pages like introductions, prologues,
            epilogues, glossaries.

            Emil