social network type website

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2010
      Hey folks

      Anyone run a Social Network web site?

      I could use some tips.

      It's basically a dating website but I need a program that is very flexible in order to add lots of widgets and things I need to customize it to their needs.

      Thanks
      Dave

    • David Colliver
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16, 2010
        This sounds like something you will need to learn to write... there are a number of languages to choose from... asp.net, php, classic asp etc.

        It sounds like it will be expensive if you hire someone.

        There are
        Best regards,
        Dave Colliver.
        http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com
        ~~

        Message 3 of 3 , May 19, 2010
          Thanks Dave

          I've since done some extensive research and the results so far are quite helpful.

          Been bouncing back between Drupal and WordPress after looking at some
          others, Joomla, Elgg and a few paid ones like Social Engine and phpFox.

          So far and especially for my time/budget and a few other other reasons,
          it seems
          like Wordpress/Buddypress is
          winning the race. I will definitely like to keep learning Drupal for so
          many other reasons though as it seems to be at the top of the OpenSource in flexibility but with a very huge learning curve.

          Another good thing is that WP can be imported into Drupal (if I decided
          to go that route) for expanding the website. Problem is it can only do
          so to a certain point but at least that is better than not at all.

          If I had the money though I think I would go with Social Engine. Well..
          at least from what I know so far.

          I know very little php but thanks to the open source contributors that is a big help.

          It really just boils down to one's specific needs, time and budget.

          Thanks for the tips
          Dave