Privacy Software

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008
      Can someone recommend privacy software for connecting to hotspots?

      I travel the country and sometimes need to login to check my bank account and other important stuff.

      I heard maybe VPN Software.

      I use Windows Vista

      Thanks
      Dave

    • Don Passenger
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008
        not me clueless I think you might better get a sprint wireless card if
        you are doing sensitive things and disable wireless in strange places
        ... compared to the price of getting ripped, I think you'll save money

        Dave wrote:
        > Can someone recommend privacy software for connecting to hotspots?
        >
        > I travel the country and sometimes need to login to check my bank account and other important stuff.
        >
        > I heard maybe VPN Software.
        >
        > I use Windows Vista
        >
        > Thanks
        > Dave

      • Frank Hauptle
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008
          For a VPN to work, you need something to connect to...

          For example, I use OpenVPN to connect from anywhere to my home network
          and though the VPN I can securely control the desktop machine and do
          whatever I want...

          The banks use SSL anyway, (Secure Sockets Layer) which is a public key
          encryption system.. (note the https:// in the address bar)
          using that, you should be safe to connect from anywhere as anyone
          piggybacking on that connection will see only gibberish.

          You don't need to setup openVPN though, XP and Vista have VPN client in
          them already. (Go to network connections, click on "create a new
          connection" and choose "connect to the network at my workplace" and
          finally chose "Virtual Private network connection", but again you'll
          need another machine (remote) to connect to. Then you can just use
          remote desktop connection, or even browse though your home connection (I
          setup a proxy server on one of my servers so I can use to browse using
          my home connection regardless of what network I am actually on. (because
          work log everything we visit and using my home proxy via vpn gets around
          that) not that I look at bad none work stuff, I just reserve the right
          to if I wish.... I don't like big brother watching everything.

          rgds

          Franki

          Dave wrote:

          > Can someone recommend privacy software for connecting to hotspots?
          >
          > I travel the country and sometimes need to login to check my bank
          > account and other important stuff.
          >
          > I heard maybe VPN Software.
          >
          > I use Windows Vista
          >
          > Thanks
          > Dave

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008
            I had Verizon Broad Band but I personally think it is over priced.

            Been hearing about some privacy software.

            For now I just call my bank.

            Not that I think that is fool proof.

            Dave

            Dave wrote:

            > Can someone recommend privacy software for connecting to hotspots?

            > I travel the country and sometimes need to login to check my bank account and other important stuff.

            > I heard maybe VPN Software.

            > I use Windows Vista

            > Thanks

            > Dave

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008
              Yeah Frank I thought about setting up the home network but wasn't sure if it was worth it. But then again for other reasons it might.

              On the other hand, the https does give some comfort but in my mind I can't help but to think some joker might still be trying to hack in one way or another.

              My bank has tightened up on security quite a bit and I am impressed but short of pulling my money out the bank I was at least hoping for some sorta software I could setup.

              Thanks for the tips

              Dave

              Dave wrote:

              > Can someone recommend privacy software for connecting to hotspots?

              > I travel the country and sometimes need to login to check my bank

              > account and other important stuff.

              > I heard maybe VPN Software.

              > I use Windows Vista

              > Thanks

              > Dave

            • Edward
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008
                Franki,
                I have a wireless network at home so that I can print to my printer in the
                computer room from the den, where I do most of my work now. It has stopped
                working since I have a new computer and the software (purchased) wants me to
                Purchase a new piece of software, for it. I was never able to get XP or
                Vista (on the new machine ) to connect using the wireless software on the
                Microsoft OS's. I must not have been following the instructions. The
                software I purchased setup easy, Network Magic, but it sold to a new company
                and now I can no longer print from the den without buying a new package as
                each computer must have the same version of the software. Can I, using the
                software that comes with the OS, set up a wireless network so that I can
                work on my webpages in the den as well as print from the den. I do need to
                share some things with the new computer as I sometimes do some work in the
                computer room and then need to see the pages that I have created on the
                notebook in the den in order to keep the work going smooth.
                Ed

                America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter,and lose our
                freedoms,
                it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
                -- Abraham Lincoln

                > For a VPN to work, you need something to connect to...
                >
                > For example, I use OpenVPN to connect from anywhere to my home network
                > and though the VPN I can securely control the desktop machine and do
                > whatever I want...
                >
                > The banks use SSL anyway, (Secure Sockets Layer) which is a public key
                > encryption system.. (note the https:// in the address bar)
                > using that, you should be safe to connect from anywhere as anyone
                > piggybacking on that connection will see only gibberish.
                >
                > You don't need to setup openVPN though, XP and Vista have VPN client in
                > them already. (Go to network connections, click on "create a new
                > connection" and choose "connect to the network at my workplace" and
                > finally chose "Virtual Private network connection", but again you'll
                > need another machine (remote) to connect to. Then you can just use
                > remote desktop connection, or even browse though your home connection (I
                > setup a proxy server on one of my servers so I can use to browse using
                > my home connection regardless of what network I am actually on. (because
                > work log everything we visit and using my home proxy via vpn gets around
                > that) not that I look at bad none work stuff, I just reserve the right
                > to if I wish.... I don't like big brother watching everything.
                >

                > rgds
                >
                > Franki
                >

                > Dave wrote:
                >>
                >> Can someone recommend privacy software for connecting to hotspots?
                >>
                >> I travel the country and sometimes need to login to check my bank
                >> account and other important stuff.
                >>
                >> I heard maybe VPN Software.
                >>
                >> I use Windows Vista
                >>
                >> Thanks
                >> Dave

                > This list is for readers of Paul McFedries' CIG to Creating a Web Page.
                >
                > Messages prior to 2002 are also archived at http://www.mcfedries.com
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Don Passenger
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008
                  There are settings in Vista to allow you to run a program as if it was
                  XP. Have you tried that Ed?

                  Edward wrote:
                  > Franki,
                  > I have a wireless network at home so that I can print to my printer in the
                  > computer room from the den, where I do most of my work now. It has stopped
                  > working since I have a new computer and the software (purchased) wants me to
                  > Purchase a new piece of software, for it. I was never able to get XP or
                  > Vista (on the new machine ) to connect using the wireless software on the
                  > Microsoft OS's. I must not have been following the instructions. The
                  > software I purchased setup easy, Network Magic, but it sold to a new company
                  > and now I can no longer print from the den without buying a new package as
                  > each computer must have the same version of the software. Can I, using the
                  > software that comes with the OS, set up a wireless network so that I can
                  > work on my webpages in the den as well as print from the den. I do need to
                  > share some things with the new computer as I sometimes do some work in the
                  > computer room and then need to see the pages that I have created on the
                  > notebook in the den in order to keep the work going smooth.
                  > Ed

                • Edward
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008
                    No, that is not the problem, Don, I am trying to get my wireless network
                    setup to run my wireless laptop in the den to get to the desktop computer in
                    the computer room in order to share printing, My Documens and NoteTab Pro.
                    I was tryng to asking if anyone, Franki, in particular if any one had used
                    the the networkng program that comes with XP and Vista successfully in
                    getting it to work. Ed

                    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter, and lose our
                    freedoms,
                    it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
                    -- Abraham Lincoln

                    > There are settings in Vista to allow you to run a program as if it was
                    > XP. Have you tried that Ed?
                    >
                    > Edward wrote:
                    >> Franki,
                    >> I have a wireless network at home so that I can print to my printer in
                    >> the
                    >> computer room from the den, where I do most of my work now. It has
                    >> stopped
                    >> working since I have a new computer and the software (purchased) wants me
                    >> Purchase a new piece of software, for it. I was never able to get XP or
                    >> Vista (on the new machine ) to connect using the wireless software on
                    >> the
                    >> Microsoft OS's. I must not have been following the instructions. The
                    >> software I purchased setup easy, Network Magic, but it sold to a new
                    >> company
                    >> and now I can no longer print from the den without buying a new package
                    >> as
                    >> each computer must have the same version of the software. Can I, using
                    >> the
                    >> software that comes with the OS, set up a wireless network so that I can
                    >> work on my webpages in the den as well as print from the den. I do need
                    >> share some things with the new computer as I sometimes do some work in
                    >> the
                    >> computer room and then need to see the pages that I have created on the
                    >> notebook in the den in order to keep the work going smooth.
                    >> Ed

                    > This list is for readers of Paul McFedries' CIG to Creating a Web Page.
                    >
                    > Messages prior to 2002 are also archived at http://www.mcfedries.com
                    >
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008
                      Edward wrote:
                      > No, that is not the problem, Don, I am trying to get my wireless network
                      > setup to run my wireless laptop in the den to get to the desktop computer in
                      > the computer room in order to share printing, My Documens and NoteTab Pro.
                      > I was tryng to asking if anyone, Franki, in particular if any one had used
                      > the the networkng program that comes with XP and Vista successfully in
                      > getting it to work. Ed

                      I know you can run different versions of windows on one network. We use
                      a linksys router in one place and a dlink in the other however, so we
                      are not running it only on Windows networking, so I don't know how to do
                      it windows only.
                    • Edward
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008
                        Yes I have to use a router also. I have no problem with getting online it
                        is with sharing on the other computer that is the problem. I need the
                        printer and I like to work with my html in both places, but from the den I
                        need to look at what I did with the Ntb pro last so I can continue to work
                        in the den sometimes. Thus I need a solid networking setup. I think it
                        should be possible to do that with the Networking Setup that Microsoft has
                        on their OS's.
                        Ed

                        >> No, that is not the problem, Don, I am trying to get my wireless network
                        >> setup to run my wireless laptop in the den to get to the desktop computer
                        >> in
                        >> the computer room in order to share printing, My Documens and NoteTab
                        >> Pro.
                        >> I was tryng to asking if anyone, Franki, in particular if any one had
                        >> used
                        >> the the networkng program that comes with XP and Vista successfully in
                        >> getting it to work. Ed
                        >>

                        > I know you can run different versions of windows on one network. We use
                        > a linksys router in one place and a dlink in the other however, so we
                        > are not running it only on Windows networking, so I don't know how to do
                        > it windows only.

                        > This list is for readers of Paul McFedries' CIG to Creating a Web Page.
                        >
                        > Messages prior to 2002 are also archived at http://www.mcfedries.com
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • John S. Sapyta.
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008
                          Ed and Don,

                          Just to state the obvious, Ed, did you check and make sure both firewalls are off on both machines, and to check to see if there using the same network workgroup, and see if the Printer sharing is turned on the machine that has the printer attached too?

                        • Edward
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008
                            Thanks, John, always appreciate all the ideas that I can get. But yes I have
                            my firewalls setup for all the Networks to pass thru. Networks were a major
                            problem when I first started using wireless networks, but I learned a long
                            time ago how to set up the firewalls. ZA is easy to setup. Some of the
                            others are not. I never turn the firewalls off, it is easy to tell the
                            firewall to pass the Network. So you are still protected, and printer
                            sharing is turned on and the computer it is on is On when I am trying to
                            network and share. Good to hear from you. my email is
                            horsefly_38866atyahoo.com .