Password protected

  • Jimmie Toney
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
      I have a website that has a section that needs to be password protected. Is there a fairly simple way to password protect a page?

      Jimmie Toney

    • David Colliver
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
        What type of server is the site hosted on? Also, what are your page types? (.NET, PHP, straight HTML etc.)

        Linux, you have .htaccess.
        .NET, you have either to ask your ISP to lock the directory (unlikely) or a combination of web.config and authentication within your aspx files.

        Best regards,
        Dave Colliver.
        http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com
        ~~

        I have a website that has a section that needs to be password protected. Is there a fairly simple way to password protect a page?

        Jimmie Toney

      • Gordon Reeder
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
          In CIGHTML, Paul shows a rather simple way to protect a page.
          It's not foolproof, but it will keep casual browsers away.

          Jimmie Toney wrote:
          > I have a website that has a section that needs to be password protected. Is there a fairly simple way to password protect a page?
          >
          > Jimmie Toney

        • Gary Badger
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
            Hi Jimmie.

            Some background information:
            http://www.addedbytes.com/apache/password-protect-a-directory-with-htaccess/

            A really good tool for generating the necessary files, built by CIGHTML
            moderator Franki:
            http://htmlfixit.com/cgi-bin/tools/htaccess/index.pl

            I've been password protecting directories this way for years, without
            incident. Once you understand what you're doing and why, it is very
            straightforward.

            Cheers,
            Gary.

            >I have a website that has a section that needs to be password protected. Is
            >there a fairly simple way to password protect a page?
            >
            > Jimmie Toney

          • Frank Hauptle
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
              If it is an apache server (most are) you can use this tool I created
              some time back to make the .htaccess files.

              http://htmlfixit.com/cgi-bin/tools/htaccess/index.pl

              .htaccess is the most powerful form of password protection.. and one of
              the easiest.

              rgds

              frank

              Jimmie Toney wrote:

              > I have a website that has a section that needs to be password
              > protected. Is there a fairly simple way to password protect a page?
              >
              > Jimmie Toney

            • Jimmie Toney

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
                  Depends on the host also, I have a host who had me load it up one level and
                  they put in htaccess file for me.
                  Ed
                  > If it is an apache server (most are) you can use this tool I created
                  > some time back to make the .htaccess files.
                  >
                  > http://htmlfixit.com/cgi-bin/tools/htaccess/index.pl
                  >
                  > .htaccess is the most powerful form of password protection.. and one of
                  > the easiest.
                  >
                  > rgds
                  >
                  > frank
                  >

                  > Jimmie Toney wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I have a website that has a section that needs to be password
                  >> protected. Is there a fairly simple way to password protect a page?
                  >>
                  >> Jimmie Toney

                  > This list is for readers of Paul McFedries' CIG to Creating a Web Page.
                  >
                  > Messages prior to 2002 are also archived at http://www.mcfedries.com
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
                    Frank is correct

                    I have several ix webhosting accounts btw.

                    They are very good in my opinion and I've used .htaccess files with them for years.

                    So go for it.

                    Dave

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 3, 2008
                        rather than trying to block one page in your site, make a protected
                        directory and use the htaccess file in that..

                        so say for example your url is http://mydomain.com

                        and its server path is something like /var/www/domain/web

                        and that contains all your normal index.html and other html files.

                        create a new directory in there like /var/www/domain/web/protected
                        and put your custom .htaccess file in there.. (make sure you edit the
                        files to match their location)

                        Then use the protected diretory in the links..

                        http://mydomain.com/protected/I_cannot_be_accessed_without_a_password.html

                        works great and .htaccess files are worth learning because apache
                        accounts for about 60% of real websites.
                        (in the last year or two Microsoft have jumped up allot, but I've read
                        that that is apparently due to loads of deals to domain holding
                        companies who just put up hundreds of thousands of generic holding pages
                        to sell advertising and/or the domain itself.)

                        long story short, .htaccess files are used to override most of apache's
                        settings, no just password protection.. you can also use them for
                        transparent redirection, server side scripting configuration and tons of
                        other stuff...

                        rgds

                        Frank

                        Jimmie Toney wrote:

                        > I have now messed with this for several hours an accomplished nothing
                        > except managing to password the whole website when all I wanted was to
                        > password one page. I am just glad that it was not at its permanet
                        > home. It is beyond be so back to my old way, I could get it to work
                        > like I wanted, just hated a long javascript file. Thanks one and all
                        > for all the help.
                        >
                        > Jimmie Toney
                        >

                        > Frank is correct
                        >
                        > I have several ix webhosting accounts btw.
                        >

                        > They are very good in my opinion and I've used .htaccess files with
                        > them for years.
                        >
                        > So go for it.
                        >
                        > Dave

                      • Gary Badger
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 3, 2008
                          Agreed. This is good advice Jimmie, and it sounds like you were 99% of the
                          way there, just not using a new folder / directory.

                          Cheers,
                          Gary.