Mailform problems

  • Ron Strutt
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 21, 2008
      I have just changed the email address used on the forms on my website
      in an effort to reduce the vast amount of spam I've been receiving of
      late. (Unfortunately, when I set up my site several years ago I only
      had one email address available to me.)

      I've obtained a new Mailform code (as per Paul's instructions) and
      substituted the new details in my HTML. I have tested the new email
      address with conventional emails and it works fine. I've also set it
      *not* to exclude anything even if it thinks might be spam.

      However, the test messages I've sent through the forms on my website
      don't get through. Any ideas? Is there a time lag before the changes
      are reflected on Mailform?
    • jsapyta@cox.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 21, 2008
        Ron,

        Can you post a link to the form so we can take a look?

        John

        ---- Ron Strutt <ron.strutt@...> wrote:
        > I have just changed the email address used on the forms on my website
        > in an effort to reduce the vast amount of spam I've been receiving of
        > late. (Unfortunately, when I set up my site several years ago I only
        > had one email address available to me.)
        >
        > I've obtained a new Mailform code (as per Paul's instructions) and
        > substituted the new details in my HTML. I have tested the new email
        > address with conventional emails and it works fine. I've also set it
        > *not* to exclude anything even if it thinks might be spam.
        >
        > However, the test messages I've sent through the forms on my website
        > don't get through. Any ideas? Is there a time lag before the changes
        > are reflected on Mailform?

      • Gary Badger
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 21, 2008
          Hi Ron,

          It should be (more or less) immediate, as no data is kept anywhere. The
          mailform script should just push it on.

          A link would help, but possibly too your mail host may think that the mail
          form message is spam? Do they hold a junk mail folder that you can check
          perhaps?

          Personally I don't use Paul's mailform, as I prefer not to rely on others if
          I can help it. I use TFMail (perl script) from
          http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/ and really like it. The perl isn't too hard
          to work through, I'd be happy to help if you wanted it.

          Cheers,
          Gary.

          > Can you post a link to the form so we can take a look?
          >
          > John
          >
          > ---- Ron Strutt <ron.strutt@...> wrote:
          >> I have just changed the email address used on the forms on my website
          >> in an effort to reduce the vast amount of spam I've been receiving of
          >> late. (Unfortunately, when I set up my site several years ago I only
          >> had one email address available to me.)
          >>
          >> I've obtained a new Mailform code (as per Paul's instructions) and
          >> substituted the new details in my HTML. I have tested the new email
          >> address with conventional emails and it works fine. I've also set it
          >> *not* to exclude anything even if it thinks might be spam.
          >>
          >> However, the test messages I've sent through the forms on my website
          >> don't get through. Any ideas? Is there a time lag before the changes
          >> are reflected on Mailform?

          > This list is for readers of Paul McFedries' CIG to Creating a Web Page.
          >
          > Messages prior to 2002 are also archived at http://www.mcfedries.com
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 21, 2008
            Gary Badger wrote:
            > Hi Ron,
            >
            > It should be (more or less) immediate, as no data is kept anywhere. The
            > mailform script should just push it on.
            >
            > A link would help, but possibly too your mail host may think that the mail
            > form message is spam? Do they hold a junk mail folder that you can check
            > perhaps?
            >
            > Personally I don't use Paul's mailform, as I prefer not to rely on others if
            > I can help it. I use TFMail (perl script) from
            > http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/ and really like it. The perl isn't too hard
            > to work through, I'd be happy to help if you wanted it.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Gary.

            I have been using tektite form mail of late myself. Has spam controls,
            email address masking, captcha, can also allow attachments to be
            uploaded, etc.
          • Ron Strutt
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 22, 2008
              --- In cightml@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Badger" <garybadger67@...> wrote:

              > Hi Ron,
              >
              > It should be (more or less) immediate, as no data is kept anywhere. The
              > mailform script should just push it on.
              >
              > A link would help, but possibly too your mail host may think that
              the mail
              > form message is spam? Do they hold a junk mail folder that you can
              check
              > perhaps?
              >
              > Personally I don't use Paul's mailform, as I prefer not to rely on
              others if
              > I can help it. I use TFMail (perl script) from
              > http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/ and really like it. The perl isn't
              too hard
              > to work through, I'd be happy to help if you wanted it.

              Thanks everyone for your comments.

              The mystery was solved when I received an email from Mailform Server
              saying that my registration for the new address had been approved. I
              don't remember there being an approval process when I first registered
              years back and I was surprised to discover that there was one for a
              simple change of email address, especially as it isn't mentioned
              anywhere.

              Regards

              Ron