trying to use css, but with a problem

  • L. Gutherie
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2008
      You guys have been trying to get me away from tables for a long time,
      so I'm trying. Thought I was doing pretty good on this page:
      http://www.nhchc.org/2008conference/agenda.html
      until my client informed me that in

      Mac G5 OS X version 10.4.11. Browser: firefox 2.0.0.12.
      and it looks the same in Safari 3.1.4.

      the data is in one long column instead of two side by side as intended
      and as it renders in IE and Firefox on a PC.

      Can someone tell me what I did wrong before I give up and re-build in
      tables?
      Thank you,
      Linda
    • DW
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 28, 2008
        Linda - looks fine in Seamonkey
        Derek

        L. Gutherie wrote:

        > You guys have been trying to get me away from tables for a long time,
        > so I'm trying. Thought I was doing pretty good on this page:
        > http://www.nhchc.org/2008conference/agenda.html
        > <http://www.nhchc.org/2008conference/agenda.html>
        > until my client informed me that in
        >
        > Mac G5 OS X version 10.4.11. Browser: firefox 2.0.0.12.
        > and it looks the same in Safari 3.1.4.
        >
        > the data is in one long column instead of two side by side as intended
        > and as it renders in IE and Firefox on a PC.
        >
        > Can someone tell me what I did wrong before I give up and re-build in
        > tables?
        > Thank you,
        > Linda

      • Frank Hauptle
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 28, 2008
          Hi Linda,

          I think it is based on screen size.. because in both IE and firefox
          here, there is only one col.. they are not side by side in either. (in
          fact ie and firefox look almost identical.)

          What resolution have you been looking at? my screen is 1280x1024 on this
          machine..

          . Gutherie wrote:

          > You guys have been trying to get me away from tables for a long time,
          > so I'm trying. Thought I was doing pretty good on this page:
          > http://www.nhchc.org/2008conference/agenda.html
          > <http://www.nhchc.org/2008conference/agenda.html>
          > until my client informed me that in
          >
          > Mac G5 OS X version 10.4.11. Browser: firefox 2.0.0.12.
          > and it looks the same in Safari 3.1.4.
          >
          > the data is in one long column instead of two side by side as intended
          > and as it renders in IE and Firefox on a PC.
          >
          > Can someone tell me what I did wrong before I give up and re-build in
          > tables?
          > Thank you,
          > Linda

        • L. Gutherie
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 28, 2008
            I guess if you don't see anything wrong with the code, and if you are
            seeing only one column, I'd better hussle and put it in tables. On both
            my little laptop and my big 24 inch monitor, the date/time are in one
            column and line up nicely with the event list to the right in another
            column, using css.

            Thanks for the reply,

            Sigh

            --- In cightml@yahoogroups.com, Frank Hauptle <franki@...> wrote:

            > Hi Linda,
            >
            > I think it is based on screen size.. because in both IE and firefox
            > here, there is only one col.. they are not side by side in either. (in
            > fact ie and firefox look almost identical.)
            >
            > What resolution have you been looking at? my screen is 1280x1024 on
            this
            > machine..
            >

            > . Gutherie wrote:
            > >
            > > You guys have been trying to get me away from tables for a long
            time,
            > > so I'm trying. Thought I was doing pretty good on this page:
            > > http://www.nhchc.org/2008conference/agenda.html
            > > <http://www.nhchc.org/2008conference/agenda.html>
            > > until my client informed me that in
            > >
            > > Mac G5 OS X version 10.4.11. Browser: firefox 2.0.0.12.
            > > and it looks the same in Safari 3.1.4.
            > >
            > > the data is in one long column instead of two side by side as
            intended
            > > and as it renders in IE and Firefox on a PC.
            > >
            > > Can someone tell me what I did wrong before I give up and re-build
            in
            > > tables?
            > > Thank you,
            > > Linda

          • DW
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 29, 2008
              Try css tables like this:
              Wednesday, June 11<br />
              7:00 - 8:30 am<br />
              8:30 am - 4:30 pm<br />
              3:00 - 6:00 pm<br />
              8:00 pm<br />
              Continental Breakfast / Registration for Pre-conference Institutes<br/>
              Pre-conference Institutes<br/>
              HCH Conference Registration<br/>
              Sicko showing

              and in your css file: