Java Applets

  • David Colliver
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2 12:26 PM
      Hi all,

      I have this applet. It is PTViewer. You can see it here...

      http://www.revilloc.com/viewer/viewpicture.asp?image=/viewer/sample2.jpg

      It is showing a panorama photo around my garden and house. Looks quite cool.
      (might take a moment to view though, the image is fairly large, 3mb)

      This is my first real attempt at panoramic photos. I am very pleased with
      the results. (The house where the car is (barn conversion) is not mine, mine
      is the one a little further around to the right, though you only see the
      back of the house.)

      Anyhow, those without Java on their machine will not be able to view it.
      This leads me to my questions...

      1. If the person does not have Java installed, I want to place an image
      instead. For that, I somehow need to detect (client side, i.e. Javascript)
      wether the host has Java installed. How can I do that?

      2. Some applets (not just java) ask you to download their host environment.
      How can I do that?

      (For those that know me, I am an experienced developer, though never really
      having played with applets, and avoid javascript unless I have to use it, I
      don't know the answer to my questions...)

      Thanks.

      p.s. Can anyone see www.chichesterfocus.com yet? I registered the domain
      yesterday, attached it to my host yesterday, but I can't see it. I am
      thinking my host have got it wrong... (wouldn't surprise me.)

      Best regards,
      Dave Colliver.
      http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com
      ~~
    • Dave Tech
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2 1:02 PM
        Hi David

        You are looking at 3 days for full propagation to take effect. I am here
        in Georgia US Nothing yet.

        In my part of the world, my domains always show up in just a few hrs.

        Still check your dns entries at your registar. It can't hurt.

        Dave

        David Colliver wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I have this applet. It is PTViewer. You can see it here...
        >
        > http://www.revilloc.com/viewer/viewpicture.asp?image=/viewer/sample2.jpg
        > <http://www.revilloc.com/viewer/viewpicture.asp?image=/viewer/sample2.jpg>
        >
        > It is showing a panorama photo around my garden and house. Looks quite
        > cool.
        > (might take a moment to view though, the image is fairly large, 3mb)
        >
        > This is my first real attempt at panoramic photos. I am very pleased with
        > the results. (The house where the car is (barn conversion) is not mine,
        > mine
        > is the one a little further around to the right, though you only see the
        > back of the house.)
        >
        > Anyhow, those without Java on their machine will not be able to view it.
        > This leads me to my questions...
        >
        > 1. If the person does not have Java installed, I want to place an image
        > instead. For that, I somehow need to detect (client side, i.e. Javascript)
        > wether the host has Java installed. How can I do that?
        >
        > 2. Some applets (not just java) ask you to download their host environment.
        > How can I do that?
        >
        > (For those that know me, I am an experienced developer, though never really
        > having played with applets, and avoid javascript unless I have to use it, I
        > don't know the answer to my questions...)
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > p.s. Can anyone see www.chichesterfocus.com yet? I registered the domain
        > yesterday, attached it to my host yesterday, but I can't see it. I am
        > thinking my host have got it wrong... (wouldn't surprise me.)
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Dave Colliver.
        > http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com <http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com>
        > ~~
        > http://www.FOCUSPortals.com <http://www.FOCUSPortals.com> - Local
        > franchises available

      • Major Payne
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2 4:01 PM
          Hi Dave:

          Couldn't see the new domain yet.

          For your applet (deprecated tags) try:

          1.) <param name="overimg" value="NO"> ; Optional image over applet. With the
          "overimg" parameter you can specify the name of an image that will be
          painted over the applet. The best options are transparent GIF images. NOTE:
          Animated GIF images are supported, but will be displayed as animated only on
          latest browsers (Netscape 4 and Explorer 4 or newer).
          With "overimgX" and "overimgY" you can center the image over the applet area
          Set "value=" accordingly.

          2) You should be able to just add the proper message between the <applet>
          tags for non-Java browsers with the link where to get the latest version.
          Right now, I just use "Sorry, your browser doesn't support Java " as I'm
          playing around with these and putting them between the <object> tags.
          Mostly testing and fooling around where a lot of stuff doesn't work. LOL

          Ron

[...]

          SNIPPED

        • John S. Sapyta.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 2 8:05 PM
              I see the panorama and it looks really good on my computer. I also see the website OK. It does take some time for the host to get everything running.
              Ed

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 2 8:16 PM
                Hi David:

                Definately looks good, but I hope you are planning on validating the HTML
                code and CSS. Tidy is reporting over 1000+ coding errors and CSS has about
                10. Could not get a validation from W3C.org's Validator for HTML. No
                document type is going to cause IE to parse in quirks mode every time. No
                character set given either.

                Ron

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3 1:26 AM
                  I wrote the site 5 years ago. It is part of my FOCUS network, it was just the domain hadn't been set up and with the problems I have been having with the ISP... (they have outsourced their support, whilst some techies are quite good at what they do, they tend to hire people that haven't got a clue, which means their QoS goes right down)

                  Anyhow, I know the HTML is not valid by modern standards, but still displays perfectly fine in all current browsers. Personally, I can't see the point of fixing something that isn't broke (to fix it would take me a long time... there must be over a million lines of code altoegthor for that site.). However, that is not to say that as I change it, I don't fix it. It will be a slow process and done over time. All the errors are deprecated errors anyway, so it is not as if the site will fail. It will still show perfectly in all modern browsers.

                  Thanks for checking it. I can see it now as well.

                  Best regards,
                  Dave Colliver.
                  http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com
                  ~~

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 3 1:52 AM
                    Will the image in the overimg parameter disappear when the applet pops-up?

                    Ideally, it would hold an image then disappear whent he applet works, but still hold an image if the applet can't run due to no environment.

                    Not having Java surprised me. I thought MS put the Microsoft JVM on all their browsers. I will try the non-java stuff, but it will be awkward for me to check. It appears all my machines have java installed, even though I didn't directly install it.

                    Best regards,
                    Dave Colliver.
                    http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com
                    ~~