Re: [cightml] Need a navigation script.....

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2007
      Corry Geissinger wrote:
      > Hello Friends....
      >
      > I am creating a website and am working on my navigation. I want the button to be one image and when you hover over it....it shows a different image for the button. I have a script for this but I need a drop down menu for two of my nav buttons.
      >
      > I need a script that will let my buttons change images as you hover but give me a drop down menu as well. I hope I am making sense on this. I have looked at Dynamic Drive web site for a script like this but did not find anything. I thought perhaps I am asking the impossible? I need to know if any of you know if this can be done and if you know of a script?
      >
      > If you want to take a look at the website so far here below is the url. I already have the navigation set up with the script that does the mouseover and changes the button. The reason I need something different is I want to place a home button where the "Jacks" button is and then make a "Herd" button and have Jacks and Jennets be in the drop down menu.
      >
      > My test site is at http://okeechobeecountry.com/index.html
      >
      > Kind regards,
      > Corry

      Hi Corry,

      I am a big fan of son of suckerfish menus. Start by seeing my article
      here however so you aren't broken in Internet Explorer 7:
      http://htmlfixit.com/?p=1013
      As you need to add a line of code.

      Then you do this:
      #nav li:hover, #nav li.sfhover {
      background: #eda;
      background-image: url(your_bg_image.gif);
      }

      And that will add a new background image when you hover.

      Don
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2007
        Corry Geissinger wrote:
        > Hello Friends....
        >
        > I am creating a website and am working on my navigation.
        snip
        > My test site is at http://okeechobeecountry.com/index.html

        constructive criticism ... you want to use an unordered list for those
        links ... there are lots of good reasons why, not the least of which is
        plain text browsers -- including some cell phones

        second is your images jump all over the place ... some go up (Jennet)
        some get smaller, some stay the same (Jack). You may need to rebuild those.

        I like the overall look, but just minor page structure and eye catching
        things there.

        I also notice you use tables. Jump in with both feet and figure out css
        layout and you'll be glad you did. Why? Search engines will treat you
        better. Mark up will work better on multiple platforms. It will be
        more accessible to those with impairments.
      • Corry Geissinger

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2007
            I agree with what Don said.

            There's lots to be learnt about menu and layouts from Stu Nicholls at
            http://www.cssplay.co.uk/

            Menus are at http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/index.html
            Layouts are at http://www.cssplay.co.uk/layouts/index.html

            I'm a big fan of Stu's work (and Don's!). It would be good to ditch the
            tables if you can. I have a couple of table-less sites, the most recent
            being http://www.acclaimsecurity.com.au/

            Cheers,
            Gary

            > I am creating a website and am working on my navigation. I want the button
            > to be one image and when you hover over it....it shows a different image
            > for the button. I have a script for this but I need a drop down menu for
            > two of my nav buttons.
            >
            > I need a script that will let my buttons change images as you hover but
            > give me a drop down menu as well. I hope I am making sense on this. I have
            > looked at Dynamic Drive web site for a script like this but did not find
            > anything. I thought perhaps I am asking the impossible? I need to know if
            > any of you know if this can be done and if you know of a script?
            >
            > If you want to take a look at the website so far here below is the url. I
            > already have the navigation set up with the script that does the mouseover
            > and changes the button. The reason I need something different is I want to
            > place a home button where the "Jacks" button is and then make a "Herd"
            > button and have Jacks and Jennets be in the drop down menu.
            >
            > My test site is at http://okeechobeecountry.com/index.html
            >
            > Kind regards,
            > Corry

          • DaveTech - Comcast
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5, 2007
              Interesting the curved corners without images using bullets instead.

              Someone has asked about this before.

              http://www.cssplay.co.uk/boxes/curves.html

              dave