Re: The CIGAR BOX GUITAR forum Extravaganza Report

  • Doctor Oakroot
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
      A show running ahead of schedule? That's gotta be a first, lol.

      Sounds like a great time. Wish I coulda been there.

      And you discovered a great new act - just like Gerry was "discovered" at
      the first ever CBG festival. Very cool.

      --
      http://DoctorOakroot.com - Rough-edged songs on quirky homemade guitars.
      New album: ~ Falling from the Sky ~ FREE DOWNLOAD at
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
        And David Williams was discovered at the first Red Lion gig. He was in the audience and played a little for us between sets. It was then that we all DEMANDED he perform with us the next year.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
          I guess that's a common CBG theme.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
            As it should be. The Cigar Box Guitar movement is known for taking the common & simple and making it a focal point. Didja ever notice that when a rock star plays a CBG (ZZ Top, Tom Waits band, PJ Harvey), we're always amused, but not very impressed? We're more excited when Johnny Lowebow get's picked up by the Associated Press.

            The CBG Movement is the Fanfare for the Common Man. Stars are found in the audience. That's its very nature.

            This is a profound truth. Write it down, kids.

            shane

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2009
              Yeah. But I really love it when someone tells me, "you look like ZZ Top"
              and I can answer, "yeah... but they're copying me since I was playing CBG
              first." lol