Re: Broomsticks?

  • richard menger
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2008
      Thanks Billy. I'll check that out... In the meantime I actually found
      2 old broken mop handles and two old brooms that needed to
      be "liberated".. should keep me busy for a while..
      -Rich

      --- In cigarboxguitars@yahoogroups.com, "billy_freedom1976"
      <billy_freedom1976@...> wrote:

      > ok home depo has a section with axe handles, industrial mop handles
      > made of mahogany, and wheel barrell handles (exellent for square
      neck
      > dobros)they also have a small porter broom for like 5 bucks. i
      would
      > take the precious .020 wire off cut the broom handle off make a
      > spooky corn broom voodoo doll from the bottom and use the handle
      for
      > a neck. or you can go to the dowel section and buy a 3 foot dowel
      > 7/8" 1"? (how many strings you gonna put on it?) walmart has
      chinese
      > dowel mahogany and maple as does michaels but get a yardstick from
      > the store dont buy your own and check for the straightest ones.
      cant
> [...]
      > > want to build a CBG with a broomstick neck.
      > > -Rich
      > >
      > > --- In cigarboxguitars@yahoogroups.com, "billy_freedom1976"
      > > <billy_freedom1976@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > rich, we are string players TARZAN in farsi. we go to hell when
      > we
      > > die
      > > > not the mythic hell but a really beautiful place full of
      fiddlers
      > > > twangers and diddlers. our instruments are evil and accursed.
      > this
      > > > means the materials you need to build cannot be purchased. they
      > > must be
      > > > Begged borrowed and stolen. like this " sir please can i have
      > some
      > > > empty cigar boxes?" "mom can i borrow the tomato knife?" and if
      > you
      > > see
      > > > a nice industrial corn broom with a maple or mahogany handle
      > wired
      > > > together with shiny stainless .020 guage wire you definatley
      take
      > > it.
      > > > keep an eye on bulk collection day. luan plywood can be found
      on
      > > the
      > > > bottoms of furniture drawers look for old brooms table legs
      > > finials,
      > > > screen wire, chicken wire leather lampshade skin.wooden spoons
      > > > spatualas made of mahogany or maple.but then you can get
      > creative,
      > > > broom is a very magical thing do your homework it cleans all
      the
      > > evils
      > > > out of a house. if you move its best to buy a new broom or you
      > will
      > > > bring a curse on your new house. say you have the opportunity
      > > steal
      > > > the broom of a convicted murderer after a house cleaning or its
      > > just
      > > > sitting on the porch what are you going to do? a glass place
      went
      > > out
      > > > of business lets say the owners name was vinnie. i cleaned up
      the
      > > place
      > > > and found a bat maple it was made in woodshop it had vinnie
      > burned
      > > into
      > > > it. but it had other stuff glass bits and what looked like
      teeth
      > > marks
      > > > and some brownish stains. i took the evil thing and one day i
      > will
      > > make
      > > > vinnie the veena. youll know the right broomstick it will feel
      > > right in
      > > > your hand. i only find 3 usable coconuts a year they have to be
      > > round
      > > > like a ball and not almond shaped or they wont sound right. if
      it
      > > > doesnt feel good in my hand i dont get it. remeber beg borrow

    • billy_freedom1976
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2008
        He who seeks....SHALL FIND! - Jerusalem Slim PBUH.
        yeah didn't pay attention to my own advice spent days preparing a
        fence picket and started my dado the wrong way. i dont think cedar
        makes a good neck it crumbles easy. glad i didnt pay for it. (if you
        dont feel right DONT WORK!) what you makin a double neck? you gonna
        use the broom wire? tunes G-D fairly nice.

        wrote:

> [...]
        > cant
        > > you steal a broom from work? cant you pick the janitor closet
        door
        > > lock? stealing from the boss isnt a sin after all hes stealing
        from
        > > you isnt he? (and i do mean a he). oh also get a rasp more useful
        > > than anything that plugs in you can rasp the end rounded to look
        > > exactly like a broomstick.
        > >
        > > --- In cigarboxguitars@yahoogroups.com, "richard menger"
        <menger@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Billy,
        > > >
        > > > Believe me, I'm totally down with using found stuff.. that
        > where
        > > > get almost all of my art materials.. I just never find any
        > > > broomsticks....I hate to break down and buy anything, but...I
        > > really
        > > > want to build a CBG with a broomstick neck.

      • slide_rules4
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2008
          Rich, don't forget to keep the broom wire (the wire that holds the
          broom straws onto the handle)--it is the wire used for traditional
          diddley bows.

          Best regards, Willie
          wrote:

          > Thanks Billy. I'll check that out... In the meantime I actually found
          > 2 old broken mop handles and two old brooms that needed to
          > be "liberated".. should keep me busy for a while..
          > -Rich

        • richard menger
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 6, 2008
            I did save the wire.. I was kinda surprised at how much of it was on there... took a while
            to dismantle those brooms!

            -rich