Re: The CIGAR BOX GUITAR forum Entering into the Land of Canaan

  • Pat Cook
    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 1, 2007
      Oh, and, that's an awesome studio! You did a beautiful job. So, when
      is Hentor stopping by to lay down some mournful tracks?

      --- In cigarboxguitars@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <cigarboxguitar@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm still waiting for somebody to slam me on the Strat hanging on my
      > studio wall...y'all must be asleep or sumpthin'
      >
      > : )
      >
      > shane

    • Eric
      Message 43 of 43 , Nov 3, 2007
        I don't see any reason you couldn't do the LED scheme you're
        suggesting. It would just be a lot of wiring is all....a one inch or
        more gap (drop ceiling) might be a good way to hide all that. Here in
        my studio/office, I use 120LED floods in my track lighting. Even with 6
        of these lamps running, it is probably only as bright as a single 100
        watt bulb. But, it is comfortable light...nicer than compact fluorescent.

        I have not seen it done, but I don't know why the polystyrene cartons
        wouldn't work. It is the irregular surface created by the egg cups that
        acts to break up the sound waves and kill the room echo. Of course, if
        they are hard to come by, it might be better just to use something
        else. My studio has the subfloor lifted from the concrete with a
        bubble plastic designed to allow any moisture to run underneath
        (basement installation). This raised floor is separate from the outer
        stud walls to decrease sound transmission through the floor. The
        ceiling is suspended from the over head joists by a metal strip that is
        screwed to the joists and then adds a half inch gap before the drywall
        is attached. This reduces noise transmitted from the people walking
        upstairs. The floor is carpeted with some cheap Berber from Home
        Depot. And, the ceiling is painted with a texture paint designed for
        acoustic dampening...also from the Depot. But the real trick to the
        studio as far as killing reflected sound goes, is the irregular setup of
        the walls. I built closets and various other bump outs in opposing
        walls to prevent direct reflections. None of this was particularly
        difficult or hard to find. Almost everything was purchased at Home Depot.

        One other convenience tip.... I installed half inch chipboard (OSB) as
        my wallboard all around the room....then covered it with half inch
        drywall. This allows me to easily install fixtures anywhere I might
        like without needing wall anchors. Also, while the walls were open, I
        ran 20 total 4 gang electrical outlets, and about eighteen patch cables
        (using the thin, non rubberized construction grade cable). Believe me,
        you can never have too many AC outlets....mine are 90% full up. One of
        the bump outs that I built in the rear wall is a vocal booth, double
        walled and insulated, not a hundred percent isolated, but enough so that
        the vocals don't bleed into the room more than a whisper. The patch
        cables have outlets in there, behind the main mixer, and also into the
        other half of the basement, just in case I want to record a drummer. I
        ran lines for headphones, line level signals, and XLR. So, you can play
        guitar, etc in the vocal booth and run a line back to the board, as well
        as sing and so forth.

        These are all ideas that I took from various home recording books as
        well as studio manuals and just some acoustic construction guides. Then
        I just spent a bit of time to plan out the best way to make it happen
        with common materials in my tiny studio space (11' x 14').

        All that being said...the bottom line is that egg cartons are only one
        way to achieve the wave breakup. I see no reason why you might not get
        the same effect with whatever else you have handy.

        Eric

        PS...the goal is not to create an acoustically "dead" room, but to
        eliminate reflections that might cause annoying slapback or harmonics.
        The room should be live enough so that you get a good idea of what your
        mix will sound like in a real listening environment. The bigger
        challenge is isolating your studio from the outside noises that can ruin
        that perfect take....