Porcelain Cone Update

  • Justin Snyder
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2007
      OK fellas here the newest update on my cones.

      I pulled the first cone from the mold today and it turned out absolutely perfect, exactly what envisioned. This first cone I poured about 3/16" thick before shrinkage. I tested the porcelain body I am using and it shrinks 14% from wet to high fired. The next 2 I pour 1 will be paper thin and 1 will be about 1/4". The purpose of this is to test the durability of a particular thickness and see what difference in tone is produced depending on thickness. I believe with three different thicknesses I will see a marked difference in tone. It should show me what gives a better tone thicker or thin then I will know which way to go. For example if the 1/4" gives a better tone than the other 2 then I will go 5/16", 3/8", 7/16"....etc. until tone begins to fall off. This way I should know what optimal thickness is. Hopefully

      There are a couple of the members here that will be testing the cones for me for a few reasons. They have a more experience than me, some have a little more time than me due to school, but for me the main reason is I can fool myself, due to my excitement over these cones, into hearing tones that aren't there.

      Soooooooo as things progress I will update the group. Damn I hope we get awesome tone because I cant wait to have a cone sized to fit in a CBG. I'm stoked....can ya tell?

      =====Lollypop=====