2 string slide playing

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006
      We've often discussed the less-is-more aesthetic when talking about
      strings on cigar box guitars. In these discussions, I've always
      recommended everyone to at least check out the band Morphine and their
      2-string slide bass sounds. Well, there is now a MySpace page
      dedicated to the late Mark Sandman, frontman and 2-string bassist for
      the band. Go to http://tinyurl.com/nhk99 and definitely check out the
      song "Patience." The song mixes a 2-string slide bass, baritone sax,
      mandolin and drums. It's one of my all time favorite tracks. Other 2-
      string songs on that site are "Empty Box" and "The Night."

      For more Morphine tracks, check out this other MySpace site:
      http://profile.myspace.com/marksandman (featuring 2-string song "I Can
      Do That")

      shane
    • Shane
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006
      • Douglas Kinney
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
          Thanks for introducing me to this band. I've never
          heard of them, but i'll be looking for their cd's next
          time I hit the music store! They have a great sound.

          Doug

          http://youtube.com/watch?v=985JGeGq_tc&search=morphine
          > (great shots of his bass in this one)

          http://youtube.com/watch?v=rqloE0b4w80&search=morphine

          http://youtube.com/watch?v=7ekLRUjqSpw&search=morphine

          http://youtube.com/watch?v=hO7uBSY-znY&search=morphine

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Shane
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
            No prob, Doug.

            In the 90's there were two bands who championed the minimal strings
            idea: Morphine and also the Presidents of the United States of
            America. Morphine played the 2-string slide bass and the Presidents
            played 2 and 3 string bass/guitar hybrids. The two bands had deep
            connections because both frontmen, Mark Sandman and Chris Ballew used
            to be roomates in Boston in the early 90's.

            I had the opportunity to hang out backstage with the Presidents last
            year (and actually joined them on stage for a song). When we were
            hanging out, Chris Ballew (frontman and 2-string player) and I were
            messing around with my 3-string TurboDiddley cbg, challenging each
            other to see who could play the coolest Beatles song on 3 strings. I
            think I won when I played "Blackbird," because he demanded I show him
            how to play it! (btw, a bootleg of my appearance with them is
            available for free download at
            http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=531587&t=4542)

            The Presidents are still performing and recording. Their MySpace
            account is at
            http://www.myspace.com/thepresidentsoftheunitedstatesofamerica

            shane
            ps. Unfortunately, the band Morphine died along with its frontman.
            Several years ago, Mark Sandman suddenly died on stage in Italy in
            the middle of their set. His heart ruptured. A retrospective 2 cd/
            1 dvd set called 'SANDBOX' was just released last year. Awesome
            collection. For beginners, I recommend Morphine's live
            album "Bootleg Detroit" or their studio release "Yes".

            pps. Mark Sandman and Chris Ballew released a 7" vinyl disc back
            when they were roomates under the name "Supergroup". Both are
            playing 2-stringers, backed by the drummer from Morphine. Two
            totally improvised songs. You may be able to find a copy on eBay.

            --- In cigarboxguitars@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Kinney
            <ghostcat78@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for introducing me to this band. I've never
            > heard of them, but i'll be looking for their cd's next
            > time I hit the music store! They have a great sound.
            >
            > Doug
          • Ken Frank
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
              Interesting read Shane. I've been a Morphine fan for a long time, but
              didn't know about the connection between Sandman and Ballew.

              --- In cigarboxguitars@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <cigarboxguitar@...>
              wrote:

              > No prob, Doug.
              >
              > In the 90's there were two bands who championed the minimal strings
              > idea: Morphine and also the Presidents of the United States of
              > America. Morphine played the 2-string slide bass and the Presidents
              > played 2 and 3 string bass/guitar hybrids. The two bands had deep
              > connections because both frontmen, Mark Sandman and Chris Ballew used
              > to be roomates in Boston in the early 90's.
              >
              > I had the opportunity to hang out backstage with the Presidents last
              > year (and actually joined them on stage for a song). When we were
              > hanging out, Chris Ballew (frontman and 2-string player) and I were
              > messing around with my 3-string TurboDiddley cbg, challenging each
              > other to see who could play the coolest Beatles song on 3 strings. I
              > think I won when I played "Blackbird," because he demanded I show him
              > how to play it! (btw, a bootleg of my appearance with them is
              > available for free download at
              > http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=531587&t=4542)
              >
              > The Presidents are still performing and recording. Their MySpace
              > account is at
              > http://www.myspace.com/thepresidentsoftheunitedstatesofamerica
              >
              > shane
              > ps. Unfortunately, the band Morphine died along with its frontman.
              > Several years ago, Mark Sandman suddenly died on stage in Italy in
              > the middle of their set. His heart ruptured. A retrospective 2 cd/
              > 1 dvd set called 'SANDBOX' was just released last year. Awesome
              > collection. For beginners, I recommend Morphine's live
              > album "Bootleg Detroit" or their studio release "Yes".
              >
              > pps. Mark Sandman and Chris Ballew released a 7" vinyl disc back
              > when they were roomates under the name "Supergroup". Both are
              > playing 2-stringers, backed by the drummer from Morphine. Two
              > totally improvised songs. You may be able to find a copy on eBay.
              >

              > --- In cigarboxguitars@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Kinney
              > <ghostcat78@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks for introducing me to this band. I've never
              > > heard of them, but i'll be looking for their cd's next
              > > time I hit the music store! They have a great sound.
              > >
              > > Doug

            • Don Thompson
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2006
                Interesting viewing the vid. For one Mark used a pick and at times
                played both strings. I believe he also fingered notes low on the neck
                then used the slide for the upper register. Wish his parts came
                through a little louder but very informative. Thanks Shane.
                Regards, Don

                couple of sites folks might like to view.
                http://bass.danzimmerman.com/
                cool size for a cigar box bass

                http://www.konaweb.com/stick/
                some ideas one could rip off......er....I mean to be creatively
                inspired by. Interesting tuning using third intervals. I perfer
                fourths myself.