More Prating About Nickel Quality

  • Hudson29@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2001
      About my contention that modern nickel, while visualy similar to the
      original plating was not as durable, and that original parts were not dulling
      while the newly plated stuff was, Tony responded:

      << I asked the person who plated some of my parts the same question and
      he just said that it was never in the elements. Perhaps that is
      true. I am sure that your tail light is NOS and has never been out
      there. >>

      I thought of that too, but discarded the possibility after seeing all of
      the plating subjected to the same environment as it was on the same car. The
      new nickel dulled, the old nickel remained bright. This "test" was made only
      over the course of a couple of weeks, but it jibes with observations I have
      made on other nickel era cars.
      Just for example, Pete Laughton owns a wonderful LARGE 1913 Hudson
      Touring, the largest car Hudson ever made. I asked him where he got the
      plating done and was astonished to hear that the plating was ORIGINAL! This
      car had worn out several paint jobs, but the factory plating, while not
      absolutely pristine, still looked presentable.
      Want another example? The Hudson Super Six clocks that were sold when
      these cars were new were nickeled. I have collected several of them over the
      years and a week or so ago a mad thought occurred to me and I polished them
      up. Excluding the physical damage, these clocks polished up like new. I had
      expected to have to have them replated.
      Another example? In another hobby, the nickel plating on Victrola
      reproducers is often as nice now as day it was sold even after 80 or 90
      years. My plater explained that the old "Watts" nickel was a pure nickel with
      no "brightening alloys" as are currently used under chrome. Is it possible
      that real pure nickel is no longer available? Perhaps my plater was
      misinformed. Maybe the old guys new something we have forgotten - a bit of
      something extra IS needed to keep the plating intact.
      We all know what a bundle is wrapped up in getting the plating done on
      our cars. Anybody got any "bright" ideas? I would hate to have to revisit
      this area again in the near future!

      Paul O'Neil, Hudson29@...
      Fullerton, California USA

      NEW email list for Hudson Super Six Cars, 1916-1929!
      http://www.egroups.co.uk/group/HudsonSuperSix16-29

      1926 Hudson Anderson Bodied Coupe
      1926 Hudson Parts Car "The Grapes Of Wrath"
      1928 Hudson Roadster Project
      1929 Hudson Town Sedan
      1939 Cadillac Coupe (How'd that get in there?)

      AEROMARK - Need Rubber Stamps or Signs? See:
      http://www.aeromark.net