Casting Switch Handles

  • Hudson29@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2001
      In a message dated 4/27/01 2:53:18 PM, geoffclark@... writes:

      << Do you have anyone who can reproduce the switch arms for you? If not I
      can get them done at the same foundry who did the steering wheel hubs.
      This would entail sending them around the world and back however. >>

      Thanks Geoff and John for your kind offers to help casting up the switch
      handles, but I have decided to go another way. After a recommendation by Dave
      Kostansek, I called Jere & Marge Verdone [Vc (717) 949-3341, FAX (717)
      949-2782] in PA. They cast up small non-precision parts in stainless steel.
      The parts are returned ready to install but for the machine work which they
      do not do. In this case, that amounts to drilling and tapping the screw hole
      on the back.
      They polish the stainless and when done the finish looks very close the
      original nickel finish. In this case, the handle were Butler finish and that
      involves an extra step on their part, burnishing the polished part with #600
      emory.
      They run 5 to 8 WEEKS to do this so they are no speedballs, but I expect
      the results will be worth the wait. The best part is the price. They need
      only $45 ea for the handles ready to install but for the machine work. Nearly
      worthless NOS would probably fetch more than that. After this job is done,
      they will have the master available and can reproduce these parts for other
      mid twenties Hudson owners without having to have an intact example to work
      with.
      I'll post again with pics when the parts arrive.

      Paul O'Neil, Hudson29@...
      Fullerton, California USA

      NEW email list for Hudson Super Six Cars, 1916-1929!
      http://www.egroups.co.uk/group/HudsonSuperSix16-29

      1926 Hudson Anderson Bodied Coupe
      1926 Hudson Parts Car "The Grapes Of Wrath"
      1928 Hudson Roadster Project
      1929 Hudson Town Sedan
      1939 Cadillac Coupe (How'd that get in there?)

      AEROMARK - Need Rubber Stamps or Signs? See:
      http://www.aeromark.net