San Diego wildfires

  • johnsuhr2003
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 2003
      Take it from me as I'm on the scene: there were absolutely no
      chemtrails and they have nothing whatever to do with the fires.
      There was an airshow at Miramar Marine airbase with some of the
      planes using smoke similar to sky writers as part of their acrobatics
      for two days - a week back. Perfectly harmless.

      The problem is extreme dryness - 6 months with no significant rain -
      and tinder dry desert chaparral, which is very flammable. Also, many
      local firefighters had been transferred north to the San Bernadino
      fires, and weren't available early Sunday when the fires started.
      They have returned and equipment and manpower is now flowing in from
      Nevada and Arizona, as well as from the federal government.

      The problem here now is the smoke, which makes it unpleasant to be
      outside. Onshore west winds are expected later today, however, which
      should clear it out. It's been calm since Sunday.

      For an active fire map, please see:

      http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/archive/cgb2003301_0700.jpg

      It's 1.8MB, but would be worth the wait if you're interested in such
      things. Also, the topo map of California/Nevada is the best I've
      seen. Apparently it's updated daily, so you can follow progress of
      containing the fires.

      Fires are common here this time of year; these are just more
      extensive than usual. Some probably are arson. The Cedar fire
      evidently was set by a lost hunter in the mountains to signal his
      location - an illegal act. Obviously it got well out of hand.
      Needless to say, he's in major trouble.

      There are already complaints that the government botched the early
      containment of the fires - poor planning and excessive bureaucratic
      red tape, etc. EDD could help relieve those problems.

      John Suhr