Military help for Georgia is a 'declaration of war', says Moscow in extraordinary warning to the West

  • norgesen
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2008

      Military help for Georgia is a 'declaration of war', says Moscow in extraordinary warning to the West

      27.08.08

      Moscow has issued an extraordinary warning to the West that military assistance to Georgia for use against South Ossetia or Abkhazia would be viewed as a "declaration of war" by Russia.

      The extreme rhetoric from the Kremlin's envoy to NATO came as President Dmitry Medvedev stressed he will make a military response to US missile defence installations in eastern Europe, sending new shudders across countries whose people were once blighted by the Iron Curtain.

      And Moscow also emphasised it was closely monitoring what it claims is a build-up of NATO firepower in the Black Sea.

      Enlarge Russian President Dmitry Medvedev (right) meets with Prime Minister Vladimir Putin - the 'real architect' of the Georgia conflict - and the Security Council (unseen) in Sochi yesterday

      Russian President Dmitry Medvedev (right) meets with Prime Minister Vladimir Putin - the 'real architect' of the Georgia conflict - and the Security Council (unseen) in Sochi yesterday

      The incendiary warning on Western military involvement in Georgia - where NATO nations have long played a role in training and equipping the small state - came in an interview with Dmitry Rogozin, a former nationalist politician who is now ambassador to the North Atlantic Alliance.

      "If NATO suddenly takes military actions against Abkhazia and South Ossetia, acting solely in support of Tbilisi, this will mean a declaration of war on Russia," he stated.

      Yesterday likened the current world crisis to the fevered atmosphere before the start of the First World War.

      Rogozin said he did not believe the crisis would descend to war between the West and Russia.

      But his use of such intemperate language will be seen as dowsing a fire with petrol.

      Enlarge The U.S. Coast Guard cutter Dallas at Georgia's Black Sea port of Batumi today, carrying what the U.S. says is humanitarian aid

      The U.S. Coast Guard cutter Dallas at Georgia's Black Sea port of Batumi today, carrying what the U.S. says is humanitarian aid

      Top military figure Colonel General Leonid Ivashov, president of the Academy of Geopolitical Studies in Moscow, alleged that the US and NATO had been arming Georgia as a dress rehearsal for a future military operation in Iran.

      "We are close to a serious conflict - U.S. and NATO preparations on a strategic scale are ongoing. In the operation the West conducted on Georgian soil against Russia - South Ossetians were the victims or hostages of it - we can see a rehearsal for an attack on Iran."

      He claimed Washington was fine tuning a new type of warfare and that the threat of an attack on Iran was growing by the day bringing "chaos and instability" in its wake.

      With the real architect of the worsening Georgian conflict - prime minister Vladimir Putin - remaining in the background, Medvedev followed up on Rogozin's broadside with a threat to use the Russian military machine to respond to the deployment of the American anti-missile defence system in Poland and the Czech republic.

      Poland agreed this month to place ten interceptor missiles on its territory, and Moscow has already hinted it would become a nuclear target for Russia in the event of conflict.

      Enlarge A South Ossetian separatist fighter prepares to fire his weapon as another raises the South Ossetian and Russian flags, in Tskhinvali, the capital of Georgia's separatist-controlled territory of South Ossetia yesterday

      A South Ossetian separatist fighter prepares to fire his weapon as another raises the South Ossetian and Russian flags, in Tskhinvali, the capital of Georgia's separatist-controlled territory of South Ossetia yesterday

      "These missiles are close to our borders and constitute a threat to us," Medvedev told Al-Jazeera television. "This will create additional tension and we will have to respond to it in some way, naturally using military means."

      The Russian president said that offering NATO membership to Georgia and Ukraine, two former Soviet republics, would only aggravate the situation.

      Moscow has consistently expressed its opposition to the U.S. missile shield, saying it threatens its national security.

      The U.S. claims the shield is designed to thwart missile attacks by what it calls "rogue states," including Iran.

      Meanwhile, Russia - seen by the West as flouting international law - today demanded NATO abide by an obscure agreement signed before the Second World War limiting its warships in the Black Sea.

      Russian ambassador to NATO Dmitry Rogozin

      Russian ambassador to NATO Dmitry Rogozin

      "In light of the build-up of NATO naval forces in the Black Sea, our fleet has also taken on the task of monitoring their activities," said hawkish deputy head of Russia's general staff, Anatoly Nogovitsyn.

      The Montreux Convention, as it is called, sets a weight restriction of 45,000 tonnes on the number of warships that countries outside the Black Sea region can deploy in the basin.

      "Can NATO indefinitely build up its forces and means there? It turns out it cannot," said Nogovitsyn.

      NATO has said it is undertaking pre-arranged exercises in the Black Sea involving US, German, Spanish and Polish ships. Two other US warships sailed to Georgian waters with humanitarian aid.

      Georgia is poised to sever diplomatic relations with Russia, or reduce them to a bare minimum.

      "We will drastically cut our diplomatic ties with Russia," said a top official.

      President Mikhail Saakashvili said he was frightened to leave Georgia to attend the EU summit on the crisis.

      "If I leave Georgia, the Russians will close our airspace and prevent me from returning home," he said.

      Russia sought Chinese backing for its action - but the Communist regime in Beijing appeared reluctant to offer support, instead issuing a statement saying it was "concerned" about recent developments.

      NATO called for Russia to reverse its decision on recognition for the two enclaves, both Georgian under international law.

      But the new 'president' of South Ossetia, Eduard Kokoyty, called for Russian military bases on his territory.

      French foreign minister Bernard Kouchner warned today that an marauding Russian bear could trample over other ex-Soviet states.

      "That is very dangerous," he said, pointing at Ukraine and Moldova.

      http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23545668-details/Military+help+for+Georgia+is+a+'declaration+of+war',+says+Moscow+in+extraordinary+warning+to+the+West/article.do

      http://www.thestrategy.org.au/?module=displaystory&story_id=814&format=html

      ~~~

      U.S. staged Georgian conflict - Putin

      By CNN

      September 1, 2008

      U.S. may have staged Georgian conflict - Putin

      In an interview with CNN Russia's Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has said the Georgian-South Ossetian conflict may have been staged to secure a victory for one of the presidential candidates in the U.S. He says preliminary reports show that U.S. citizens may have been present in the combat zone.

      "We have serious reasons to believe that American citizens were right at the heart of the military action. This would have implications for American domestic policy. If this is confirmed, we will have grounds to suspect that somebody in the U.S. has created this conflict to aggravate the situation and create a competitive advantage for one of the presidential candidates".

      Russia's Prime Minister also commented on the media coverage of the recent events.

      "As far as the perception of these events by the general public goes, it depends not only on politicians, but also on how artful they are in controlling the mass media. And our American colleagues do this much better than we do and there's a lot we can learn from them".

      Putin stressed that Russia did not attack and cannot be portrayed as an aggressor.

      "We didn't attack anyone, we were attacked and therefore we need guarantees that we won't be attacked again, and that our citizens won't be killed. They are trying to present us as aggressors".

      The Prime Minister has given a detailed chronology of the events between August 7 and 10.

      "On 7 August, at 14:42, the Georgian peacekeepers left the headquarters of the peacekeeping forces under the pretext that they'd received orders from their commanders to leave their posts, and they never returned.

      One hour later, heavy artillery shelling began.

      At 22:35 a massive bombardment of Tsklhinval started. At 22:50 the transfer of Georgian ground troops started to the combat area. At the same time Georgian field hospitals were set up.

      And at 23:30 the Brigadeer General commanding the Georgian peacekeeping forces announced that Georgia has declared a war against South Ossetia. They announced this publicly, looking straight into the TV cameras.

      At that point we tried to contact the Georgian leadership, but everyone refused to talk to us.

      At 12:45 AM on the 8th of August the Georgian commander repeated his statement. So who attacked whom?"

      The former Russian president reiterated that the country has ‘no intention of attacking anyone, or of fighting a war with anyone'.

      "For eight years while I was President I often heard one and the same question - what place does Russia think it should occupy in the world? We are a peace-loving state and want to co-operate with all our neighbours and other states. But if someone thinks they can just come in and kill us, and that our place is in the cemetery, these people should think of the consequences of such policies".

      http://www.thestrategy.org.au/?module=displaystory&story_id=809&format=html