Akha Journal: Radio Program, Salem Alliance, Lewis PhD

  • Matthew McDaniel
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2007
      Dear Friends:

      A number of items. We have been doing pickets of Lori
      Crouch's church in Salem, Oregon. Putting out a lot of
      flyers, phone calls, and yesterday an hour and a half
      radio program in Portland.

      We are publicizing Lori Crouch's involvement in the
      removal of Akha children, destruction of Akha culture,
      and working for the Lewis mission.

      Meanwhile we have taken up the case of the Paul W.
      Lewis thesis with the University of Oregon.

      The University of Oregon issued a PhD. based on this
      thesis about how Paul W. Lewis sterilized hundreds if
      not more, Akha women.

      The University thinks the thesis is fine. We asked
      them if other groups of women in Oregon should then be
      sterilized?

      No answer.

      So we forwarded our complaint to Henry Lorenzen, the
      head of Oregon State Board of Higher Education. We
      await his answer. We have asked that the PhD. be
      rescinded.

      We would also like to emphasize SIL's involvement with
      UNESCO in Bangkok. SIL can not be trusted to be near
      the Akha language.

      We continue to need printed material, both locally and
      which we send to our supporters abroad.

      Your help, your donation to help cover printing costs
      is needed. We continue to publicize the Akha story to
      a greater and greater audience.

      Sincerely,
      Matthew McDaniel

      The Akha Heritage Foundation.