The Big Disconnect - PAUL KRUGMAN & Noam Chomsky +

  • MA PA
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2006
      The Big Disconnect - PAUL KRUGMAN & Noam Chomsky +
      by PAUL KRUGMAN - The New York Times
      Friday Sep 1st, 2006 6:14 AM
      Krugman: Big Disconnect -

      Krugman on the disconnect between pundits lectures on the economy and the experience of typical families.

      - PLUS: Their view of the world is through a bombsight - Noam Chomsky

      - PlUS: Rendezvous With Oblivion, by THOMAS FRANK and more
      OP-ED COLUMNIST
      The Big Disconnect
      By PAUL KRUGMAN

      Published: September 1, 2006

      Why have workers done so badly in a rich nation that keeps getting richer?

      There are still some pundits out there lecturing people about how great the economy is. But most analysts seem to finally realize that Americans have good reasons to be unhappy with the state of the economy: although G.D.P. growth has been pretty good for the last few years, most workers have seen their wages lag behind inflation and their benefits deteriorate.

      The disconnect between overall economic growth and the growing squeeze on many working Americans will probably play a big role this November, partly because President Bush seems so out of touch: the more he insists that it’s a great economy, the angrier voters seem to get. But the disconnect didn’t begin with Mr. Bush, and it won’t end with him, unless we have a major change in policies.

      The stagnation of real wages ...
      Continued:
      http://mparent7777.livejournal.com/11917607.html

      Their view of the world is through a bombsight - Noam Chomsky
      http://mparent7777.livejournal.com/11916564.html

      Nightmare Mortgages
      http://mparent7777.livejournal.com/11915773.html

      FBI searches offices of Alaska lawmakers
      http://mparent7777.livejournal.com/11914528.html

      And More Coming Up on Today's Newswire
      http://mparent7777.livejournal.com/2006/09/01/

      Such as:

      GUEST COLUMNIST
      Rendezvous With Oblivion
      By THOMAS FRANK

      Published: September 1, 2006

      Everything I have written about in this space points to the same conclusion: Democratic leaders must learn to talk about class issues again.

      ---

      Frank, the author of What’s the Matter with Kansas, is proving to be a very insightful and articulate observer of our ever-more wobbly world in the 21st century.
      http://mparent7777.livejournal.com/2006/09/01/