Is the U.S. Training Iraqi Death Squads to Fight the Insurgency?

  • Vigilius Haufniensis
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2005

      Is the U.S. Training Iraqi Death Squads to Fight the Insurgency?
      Democracy Now!

      Photo: The body of Abu Akeel, a Sunni Arab, lies in a Baghdad morgue in this
      undated photo. His relatives, who provided the photograph, said he was
      kidnapped, tortured and killed by Shi'ite militiamen linked to the
      government.
      December 1, 2005

      In what the White House billed as a major policy address, President Bush
      outlined the administration's Iraq war strategy. Bush again linked a
      withdrawal of U.S. troops to improvements in the capability of Iraqi
      security forces. We speak with independent journalist Arun Gupta about the
      presence Iraqi death squads and the U.S. training of Iraqi security forces.

      -----------

      President Bush sought to overcome mounting criticism of the Iraq war
      Wednesday in what the White House billed as a major address outlining the
      administration's strategy.
      In a 45-minute speech before the US Naval Academy, Bush again rejected a
      timetable for the withdrawal of US troops and recounted improvements made by
      Iraqi security forces. The speech was the first of a series of four Bush
      plans to give before the December 15th parliamentary elections. The
      president yesterday reiterated that Iraqi troops will eventually take over
      from US forces in fighting the insurgency.

      President Bush, November 30
      "Our goals are to train enough Iraqi forces so they can carry the fight and
      this will take time and patience and it is worth the time and it is worth
      the effort because Iraqis and Americans share a common enemy and when that
      enemy is defeated in Iraq, Americans will be safer here at home. And as
      Iraqi security forces stand up then coalition forces can stand down and when
      our mission of defeating the terrorist is complete our troops can come home
      to a proud nation."

      Bush has repeatedly linked a U.S. withdrawal to improvements in the
      capability of Iraqi forces. But the mainstream media has recently detailed
      the existence of death squads within the largely Shiite police and special
      commandos.
      Operating through or with the Iraqi security forces, these militias have
      abducted, tortured and executed hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Sunnis. The
      New York Times reported Tuesday "Some Sunni males have been found dead in
      ditches and fields, with bullet holes in their temples, acid burns on their
      skin, and holes in their bodies apparently made by electric drills. Many
      have simply vanished."

      At a Pentagon press conference on Tuesday, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld
      was questioned about the death squads.

      Pentagon press conference, November 29
      Q: Mr. Secretary, are you concerned over -- and in fact, is the United
      States looking into growing reports of uniformed death squads in Iraq
      perhaps assassinating and torturing hundreds of Sunnis? And if that's true,
      what would that say about stability in Iraq?
      SEC. RUMSFELD: I'm not going to comment on hypothetical questions. I've not
      seen reports that hundreds are being killed by roving death squads at all.
      We know for a fact that it's a violent country. We know for a fact that
      there have been various militias. We know that there have been some militias
      that have been Iran-oriented. We also know there's been some militias in the
      north that have been very helpful. The Peshmerga have been very constructive
      in what they've done. But I'm not going to get into speculation like that.
      Q: But, sir, that's not a hypothetical, I don't believe. The Sunnis
      themselves are charging that hundreds have been assassinated, people shot in
      the head, found in alleys.
      SEC. RUMSFELD: What you're talking about are unverified -- to my knowledge,
      at least -- unverified comments. I just don't have any data from the field
      that I could comment on in a specific way.

      While the story only recently made front-page news, it actually first
      appeared in the press over six months ago. Investigative journalist Arun
      Gupta was one of the first to report on the presence of death squads in Iraq
      back in April of this year. We interviewed him at the time, he joins us
      again in our firehouse studios. Arun is an editor with New York City
      Independent Media Center's newspaper, The Indypendent.

      Arun Gupta, investigative journalist who writes frequently for Z Magazine,
      Left Turn and the Indypendent newspaper in New York. He is an editor at the
      Indypendent and a former editor at the Guardian weekly in New York.
      To purchase an audio or video copy of this entire program, click here for
      our new online ordering or call 1 (888) 999-3877.
    • Arlene Johnson
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2005
        Doesn't this seem reminiscent of the war in Vietnam? Also, is not Bush a pathological liar?

        In terms of troops coming home to honor, I'm wondering if the troops would be home very
        long, afterwhich they would be sent to Iran.

        War sucks. We need peace. That's what JFK wanted.That's one of the reasons why he is dead.

        Peace,

        Arlene Johnson
        Publisher/Author
        http://www.truedemocracy.net
        Click on Magazine to access the e-zine.
        Password for 2005: UN
        No password needed to access previous editions.
        Be sure to click on the icon that says Boycotts We Support. You'll be glad you did.

[...]

        OM

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS