Re: More than 31,000 members of the US forces are not American citizens

  • mark urban
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
      I think somebody should tell the poor bastards streaming in from
      Mexico that if there is no draft after the november elections it is
      because they are the officially designated cannon fodder in the war on
      terror.

      If they live, they can take up where they left off; if they die, they
      can expect to be buried in unmarked graves in the Iraqi countryside.

      --- In cia-drugs@yahoogroups.com, "Vigilius Haufniensis"
      <thehatefulnerd@s...> wrote:
      > In places like Los Angeles, recruiters say that 50% of their
      recruits are "green card troops". Upon enlisting, Marine recruiters
      tell recruits concerned about citizenship that "the Marines will take
      care of that."

      > http://iraqwar.mirror-world.ru/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=24810
      >
      > More than 31,000 members of the US forces are not American citizens
      >
      > Troops' Citizenship
      >
      > Is it true that there are Troops fighting who are not Citizens?
      >
      > Yes, it's true. More than 31,000 members of the U.S. armed forces
      are not American citizens. After returning from honorably serving in
      the United States armed forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, non-U.S.
      citizen Servicemembers are put through a lengthy process to obtain
      U.S. citizenship – often, it is only after their death that they are
      given immediate citizenship.

      > Who does this affect?
      >
      > It affects more than 31,000 members of the U.S. armed forces who are
      not American citizens. Following President Bush's declaration of an
      expedited naturalization process for Service Members who fight in the
      war on terror (link), 8,000 green card holders soon thereafter joined
      the military. US military advertisements in English & Spanish
      highlight military service as a shortcut to citizenship. In places
      like Los Angeles, recruiters say that 50% of their recruits are "green
      card troops". Upon enlisting, Marine recruiters tell recruits
      concerned about citizenship that "the Marines will take care of that."
      (ABC News)

      > What are these Servicemembers supposed to do to get their Citizenship?
      >
      > Servicemembers who are not U.S. citizens, under U.S. immigration
      law, must serve for at least 3 years on active duty or serve during
      periods of military hostilities to be ensured their opportunity for
      citizenship. (Links: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services).
      President Bush's executive order (link) has defined an open ended time
      period starting with September 11th as a period of military hostility,
      qualifying any non-citizen currently serving in the military for
      citizenship.

      > What is the current Process for these Troops to become Citizens and
      why is it a Problem?

      > After serving, there is a lengthy waiting time Service members must
      undergo after submitting their application. Service-members usually
      wait 6 – 12 months before they are naturalized; in places of heavy
      immigration, like Los Angeles, it takes 9 – 12 months to be
      interviewed for naturalization and at least 2 – 3 months to be sworn
      in. There is no guaranteed time, just the promise of an "expedited"
      process. Only in cases of death is citizenship given as soon as
      service has ended. (ABC News)

      > Furthermore, if Servicemembers fail to initiate their naturalization
      process within six months of being discharged, they lose the
      privileges they gained from serving. A number of these Servicemembers
      coming home will have to bear the burden of what the frontlines have
      left them: financial problems, depression, post-traumatic stress
      disorder, injuries, and/or even loss of limbs. They should not be
      faced with the additional burden of needing to take care of their
      naturalization issues upon the first six months of their return.

      > Why isn't this Issue being addressed?
      >
      > Because these green card troops don't have a voice in our political
      system, politicians aren't giving this issue the attention it
      deserves. These Servicemembers cannot vote and force a change. Their
      cause needs to be picked up by those that do have a voice and can
      effect change.

      > We call for automatic Citizenship for Service Members honorably
      completing their Active Duty Assignments.

      > Operation Truth believes citizenship for non-citizen Service Members
      should be immediate following the honorable completion of their
      qualifying service. The process should be initiated by the military,
      and cause no undue burden on Servicemembers.

      > Further Information on the entire Military Naturalization Process:
      army.mil

      > What can you do?
      >
      > You have just taken the first step, which is educating yourself
      about this issue. The next step is to spread the word. Encourage your
      friends to learn about the issues. Click here to spread the word about
      Operation Truth.

      > The final step is to vote! Hold our leaders accountable! Click here
      to register to vote if you are not already registered.