Fwd: [ctrl] Where de Sade and the SS live on

  • roadsend@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
        Speaking of sadism following on the heels of communism, Abu Ghraib was
        just the intake, which moves us from 1939 up to 1941 on the Prescott
        Auschwitz Bush timetable for Amerikkka. We would have heard more
        about the US torture and death squads in Latin America if all those
        victims had been Jews, but they were human beings. When we now add
        mideasterners funneled through Abu Ghraib to pacific island death
        camps, still now Jews, but we're 1941 bad nonetheless.

        -Bob

        roadsend@... wrote:
        ubject:
        [ctrl] Where de Sade and the SS live on
        From:
        "catalaunum" <catalaunum@...>
        Date:
        Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:05:09 -0000
        To:
        ctrl@yahoogroups.com
        To:
        ctrl@yahoogroups.com

        http://www.newstatesman.com/site.php3?
        newTemplate=NSArticle_World&newDisplayURN=200409200010

        Where de Sade and the SS live on
        Observations
        Mark Almond
        Monday 20th September 2004

        Observations on Latvia. By Mark Almond

        Shortly before his death, Gyorgy Lukacs remarked gloomily that if
        communism failed, it would lead not to the rebirth of bourgeois
        liberalism, but the triumph of Sadism. Go to Latvia and you may
        think he was right. Certainly, post-communist reality there conforms
        more to the Marquis de Sade's vision than to Adam Smith's.

        The capital, Riga, is a riot of prostitution without constraints. At
        the once-grand Hotel Riga, opposite Wagner's old opera house, a club
        called Dolls offers rooms by the hour and see-through bathrooms. In
        the park around the nearby monument to Latvia's freedom, glue-
        sniffing boys offer same-sex services. For the more discreet gay
        man, there is the subtly named Purvs.

        There is an even darker side to all this. Virtually all signs of
        Soviet occupation - war memorials celebrating the Red Army, for
        example - have been removed. Not so the country's other 20th-century
        occupation. Head west out of Riga towards where the front line
        between the Red Army and Hitler's troops still stood in May 1945,
        and you'll find the Nazi period alive and well.

        In Lestene, a huge memorial commemorating tens of thousands of
        Waffen SS men has recently been inaugurated; here, Latvian members
        of Heinrich Himmler's elite force defended a pocket of Nazi-
        controlled territory until the end of the war. About five miles
        away, at the old front-line village of Zante, an enterprising
        amateur local historian has put together a museum with a remarkable
        assemblage of the debris of the fighting. This has become a place of
        pilgrimage, to which Latvian soldiers are taken for pep talks before
        they go out to Iraq to join US-led operations.

        I travelled on the army bus with an elderly man who spoke fluent
        German. "Adolf", he said, had saved Europe from communism because
        Stalin's forces were about to surge westwards, but Hitler "pre-
        empted" his attack. In 200 years' time, he guessed, "there will be
        monuments to Hitler". Judging from the rate at which some Latvians
        are putting up monuments to their SS, Hitler won't have to wait that
        long. Nowadays, the word "occupation" usually refers only to the
        Soviet period.

        While so much effort is being put into mythologising Latvia's
        darkest chapter, little or nothing is being done for the country's
        real heritage. The collapse of agriculture demanded by Brussels as
        the price of entry into the EU has not only driven the peasantry
        from the land, but also led to the abandonment of countless
        beautiful old farm buildings. Wooden cottages and barns lie in ruins
        in untended, weed-infested fields. In Riga itself, only a handful of
        the fabulous pre-revolutionary art nouveau buildings have been
        preserved properly. Even as the local English- language paper
        decries the shortage of living space, many fine old buildings lie
        empty. Early 20th-century factory buildings, which would be
        renovated in the west, are commonly demolished.

        Latvia is a rootless parody of a nation state. SS chic marches hand
        in hand with sex for sale. With a wildly distorted past, its present
        has become a perverse reality.

        This article first appeared in the New Statesman. For the latest in
        current and cultural affairs subscribe to the New Statesman print
        edition.

        www.ctrl.org
        DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER
        ==========
        ctrl is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis-directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought.
        That being said, ctrl gives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. ctrl gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

        There are two list running, ctrl@yahoogroups and CTRL@..., ctrl@yahoogroups has unlimited posting and is more for discussion. CTRL@... is more for informational exchange and has limited posting abilities.

        Omimited posting abilities.

        Om
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bob
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
          Bob wrote:
          Speaking of sadism following on the heels of communism, Abu Ghraib was
          just the intake, which moves us from 1939 up to 1941 on the Prescott
          Auschwitz Bush timetable for Amerikkka. We would have heard more
          about the US torture and death squads in Latin America if all those
          victims had been Jews, but they were human beings. When we now add
          mideasterners funneled through Abu Ghraib to pacific island death
          camps, still now Jews, but we're 1941 bad nonetheless.
          "still now Jews" mis-spelled, I meant "not" jews. Could be not a coincidence
          that mossad trains the new holocaust--"better you than me" instead of
          "first they come for...then they came for me"?

          http://www.google.com/search?q=argentine+death+squads+mossad
          http://www.google.com/search?q=argentine+death+squads+harari+mossad
          http://www.google.com/search?q=death+squads+school+americas+panama
          http://www.google.com/search?q=auc+carlos+castano+school+americas+panama

          -Bob

          roadsend@... wrote:
          ubject:
          [ctrl] Where de Sade and the SS live on
          From:
          "catalaunum" <catalaunum@...>
          Date:
          Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:05:09 -0000
          To:
          ctrl@yahoogroups.com
          To:
[...]

        • :emaN leaR
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
            It is quite irritating and unscrupulous how, given the enormity of
            the problem the Bush administration is using `trafficking of
            persons' as a political football. Afghanistan is not on their
            list, despite a serious woman trafficking problem. Cuba is on the
            top list for sanctions, even though prostitution is not only illegal
            there but strictly enforced with lots of cops on the beat,
            prohibiting female Cuban citizens to even enter a hotel.
            Prostitution skyrocketed there after the fall of the Soviet bloc but
            it has been cleaned up so that the self-described "mongers" have
            moved on to IMF victim Argentina, which, as I said before, could
            never have been so victimized by the IMF if the Soviet Union existed
            as an alternative financial and strategic ally for a populace
            disaffected by the global market. Russia and its former bloc
            nations are full of prostitution, while in places like Moldova
            people have taken to selling body organs for transplant.

            "The (Gov O'Cuba) responded in no uncertain terms that the
            designation was an "injustice" to Cuba and was politically
            motivated, caused by a trafficking in persons report that completely
            distorted the situation in Cuba. Moreover, the GOC asserted that it
            was clear that no matter what it did, it would still be "unfairly"
            included in the 2004 report."

            http://www.state.gov/g/tip/rls/rpt/25017.htm

            Pasolini was killed just as he finished making his adaptation of
            Sade's "120 Days" updated to place it in ascending Fascism of the
            day in "Salo" in which they say "we are the real anarchists", and
            was also working on a novel called Petrolio, about the psychology of
            an oil moghul, at the time of his death. Pictures from Abu Ghraib
            look like outtakes from "Salo."

            CTRL@l... is more for informational exchange and has limited posting
            abilities.

            > Omimited posting abilities.

            > Om
            > Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Dick Dettrey
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
              Hitler isn't going to be a hero anytime soon. See my 6th edition for proof.

              Peace,

              Arlene Johnson
              Publisher/Author
              To access the e-zine, click on the icon that says Magazine.