Is Hoteiosho the giftbringer for Japan?

  • christmas_university
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 21, 2004
      Is there is a god in Japan named Hoteiosho who brings Christmas gifts
      and has an extra set of eyes in the back of his head? This story can
      be found in various Christmas publications for the past thirty years,
      but the people who are putting together a Christmas publication
      for "Life" magazine feel that no such figure exists in Japan. Here's
      what they told me: "We contacted the Japanese Consulate as well as a
      few others in Japan, and they all stressed that Hoteiosho does not
      exist. There is a god named Hoteisho or something similar, but he
      doesn't have eyes in the back of his head, nor does he have anything
      to do with Christmas."

      We have to wonder if Hoteiosho is another Urban Legand of the
      Christmas season taking his place alongside the "Silent Night" mice
      and the secret Bible connection to the "Twelve Days of Christmas"
      carol.

      If members of this group know anyone from Japan, please check with
      them about this. Ask them the name of Japan's Christmas giftbringer.
      Thanks.

      Bill
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/christmasinternational/
    • jueleen
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 22, 2004
        My Japanese friend -- Maya (former exchanage student), was kind
        enough to send me some information regarding
        Hoteiosho. Here is what she wrote:

        ?Well, I don't know much about Hoteiosho, but one thing I can say
        about him is that he is not considered as equivalent of
        Santa in Japan. First of all, Japan is not a Christian country so we
        don't really celebrate Christmas the way you do in US.
        But we are open to almost any religion and we easily adapt all kind
        of religions or cultures. It's funny that Japanese
        people go to Shinto shrine when the baby is born, get married in
        Christian church style, and have funeral in Buddist
        manner. For young couples, Christmas is a day of Love just like
        Valentine's day. But we still have Christmas trees and
        Christmas presents from Santa. Yes, we have same Caucausian Santa
        Clause. Christmas is not a religious day but
        commercial and fun day for kids. Hotei is one of the Seven Lucky
        Gods and he is the only one actually existed in ancient
        China. He was the most popular god among kids, and he could fall
        asleep anytime anywhere.. Seven lucky gods are more
        related to New Years celebration for all the lucks they bring.

        Hotei's image(Japanese)--yes he does looks like Santa!
        http://www1.cts.ne.jp/?butuzou/hoteisama.html

        7 lucky gods(English)
        http://www.page.sannet.ne.jp/hifu/ENG.html

        Maya

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 23, 2004
          Thank you. This has been a great help. Even "The Christmas Almanack"
          (1979) and "The World Encyclopedia of Christmas" (2000) have the
          misinformation about Hoteiosho. It's difficult to "undo" the urban
          legends of Christmas once they get started.

          Bill

          --- In christmasinternational@yahoogroups.com, jueleen