Re: [CVA] Re: NCR Cover Story: The Ethics of Eating

  • D Hunt
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2002
      I like your response to pro-lifers. I don't think they are "hate-mongers,"
      though. If someone is going into an abortion clinic, they don't have any way
      of knowing that the visit is for some other kind of medical treatment.
      I believe abortion is a manifestation of a deeper problem. I wish it were
      not so much illegal as unthinkable.

      mycritters2 wrote:

      > It's always struck me as odd that people who call themselves "pro-
      > life" eat meat. Most that I've talked with have never even
      > considered the issue, but once it's raised, they assure me that
      > animals don't have souls and human embryos do. Of course, I've never
      > understood why creatures without souls (if indeed they don't have
      > souls) still aren't deserving of kindness.
      >
      > And yes, I'm pro-choice. I am because of some experiences I had a
      > few years ago. AFter my surgery for endometriosis, I was prescribed
      > depo-lupron, a once monthly shot for a year. The clinic where I got
      > my shot also performed abortions. And there were ALWAYS "sidewalk
      > counselors" outside. So, on the 11th of every month, I had to walk
      > the gauntlet of "Christians" getting in my face and telling me "Don't
      > kill your baby!". This was especially painful for me because the
      > endometriosis had badly damaged my ovaries, leaving me most likely
      > unable to concieve (at least the normal way). Did it EVER occur to
      > these good Christians that many of the women they were harassing were
      > actually going for infertility treatment, or, like me, for medical
      > care to prevent the recurrence of a serious illness? No, we were
      > female, we were of childbearing age, we must have been going for
      > abortions.
      >
      > I decided then that these were not people who ought to make any
      > decisions for others. Would I choose an abortion if I were in that
      > position? Almost certainly not. But I would rather be left the
      > right to make that decision, than to think that the hate-mongers
      > who "counseled" me each month as I went to get my shot might be given
      > power over the choices of rational women. They may have been "pro-
      > life", but they were not Christian as I understand the term. So, I'm
      > pro-choice, because I've seen the "pro-life movement" up close and
      > personal, and these are people who deserve to be opposed.
      >
      > And when people tell me they're pro-life, I always look surprised and
      > say, "Really? I didn't know you were vegetarian!"
      >

      > Christian Vegetarian Association New Book
    • D Hunt
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2002
        Dear Marlene,
        Yes, it's depressing. I'm a high school teacher. I tell my students, just so
        they will say WHY? Then I have an opportunity to explain. Yes, they think I'm
        weird, but they leave with something to think about....
        This is why internet is good. There's somebody else like me out there in
        Wichita--hooray! I'm not alone. Thanks for being.
        Dena

        ma9984@... wrote:

        > Isn't it tough to be the only vegetarian you know? I live on the Kansas
        > prairie which is well known for cattle grazing, feed lots, meat processing
        > plants, etc. My town, Wichita, was founded because of the long cattle drives
        > from Texas to the mid west. Sometimes I wonder if the land is soiled because
        > of this history.
        >
        > Enough of that. It's depressing. Thanks for writing.
        >
        > Marlene -

        > Christian Vegetarian Association New Book
      • Maynard S. Clark
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2002
          What would it take to network with other vegetarians,
          whether or not you agreed with them on most of the
          OTHER issues that are important to you?

          www.NAVS-Online.org

          Think of all the Seventh Day Adventists who are
          vegetarian (about 50% of the SDA's claim to be, down
          from nearly 100% when they were first gathered - must
          have fallen away, I guess).

          Then among liberals the highest proportion of
          vegetarians seems to be among Quakers.

          Conservative Christians have many resources, also.

          And some liberal denominations have made
          denominational statements on behalf of animals and the
          totality of Creation.

          Not knowing those people, nor where they are isn't
          evidence that they're not riding the bus, train, or
          plane with you, or in the car passing you on the
          street or freeway, or in the next aisle in the grocery
          or department store, or attending school with your
          children, or sitting in another pew in your church.

          Many Americans are separated from one another, and
          lots of folks drop out of social groups because they
          ARE vegetarians and are stressed by the pressure to
          conform to meat-eating ways by their ersatz "peers."

          I'll leave with this one thought:
          A friend of mine was a member of a congregation which
          merged at the local level two inner city congregations
          of different denominations and differing polities
          (Methodist and Congregational, hierachical and radical
          democratic). They owned a H-U-G-E downtown edifice in
          a prosperous neighborhood but had few attendees - the
          reason for the merger. A fur store next door during
          the hight of the fur madness wanted to annex part of
          their educational wing and offered the financially
          struggling congregation
          O-U-T-R-A-G-E-O-U-S-L-Y
          E-N-O-R-M-O-U-S
          sums of money to comply.

          The church board was stymied, but my good churchgoing
          friend, herself an ethical vegetarian, stood firm and
          witnessed that this was morally wrong, and that the
          moral outrage was even greater than the outrageously
          enormous sums of blood money the financially
          struggling church was being offered to cede space for
          expansion of an unrighteous industry.

          After long and painful deliberations (and pain this
          time was a good thing, I believe, because it signalled
          that something was seriously wrong) the local
          congregation's governing body decided to reject the
          proposed "deal" because it would be contrary to the
          most fundamental and deeply held beliefs of some of
          their parishioners and members.

          "So sometimes it's best to stay and keep your seat
          while standing your ground," she commented.

          So keep your seat AND your hat 'cause the wind's
          blowing pretty hard these days.

          Out of this entire period of witness the church's
          minister became vegetarian.

          Maynard

          Maynard

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2002
            That's great!
            I could see a picket sign at a rally - with leaflets.

            http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com