"Philippians 4:13" by Joseph Y. Lee

  • josephylee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2 2:44 AM
      Philippians 4:13
      By Joseph Yosuk Lee

      I was making a 3.0 GPA average at UCI, and my electrical
      engineer professor threatened that if I didn't study
      harder, I might be forced out of graduate school. It
      was the Winter Quarter of 1996, and I was miserable.
      I was studying 10 to 15 hours a week on my electricity
      and magnetism course while my electrical engineer
      competitors did not study at all. I have prayed for
      a B, and I got the fifth lowest score among 17 people
      in the class. Of course, I was discouraged, and I
      started to hate engineering, which I found it boring,
      stupid, and hard. So, I asked my Catholic electrical
      engineering friend to tutor me so that I could earn a
      B. When he told me to drop the class, I thought I was
      not going to make it in the course, and I became more
      depressed. I cried all the time and told myself that
      getting a $50,000 an year job was really not worth it.
      At the end of that quarter, I got my B, and I could see
      in my electrical engineering professor's face and that
      he did not think I deserved a B.

      I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
      Philippians 4:13

      This verse is my favorite verse in the Bible, and I am
      always encouraged by it. Some non-Christians may say,
      "Joseph, does this verse seem to be untrue when you
      did not get an A?" The answer is 'no.' According to
      Dr. J. Vernon McGee, the verse should be translated
      like this: "I can do all things in Christ which
      strengtheneth me." In other words, Apostle Paul is
      saying that I can do all things according to God's
      will and that Christ strengthens me in whatever
      circumstances I am in.

      Not that I speak from want; for I have learned to be
      content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to
      get along with humble means, and I also know how to
      live in prosperity; in any and every circumstances I
      have learned the secret of being filled and going
      hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.
      Philippians 4:11-12

      Despite my poor performance in my electrical
      engineering class, I was content with my B.

      When the Spring Quarter began, I was not studying at
      all. I was taking a ceramics course, and I was not
      motivated. My electrical engineering professors would
      tell me that I did not belong at UCI as a graduate
      student and that I was extremely lazy. One week before
      the midterm, I studied and crammed for the midterm for
      five hours. I prayed about five minutes, and I begged
      for a B. I told myself that God would not let me down
      by getting a C, and I had so much confidence in our
      Lord that he would pull me through with a B. After
      the midterm was over, I was wrong. I did not get a
      B. Instead, I got the A+. My professor said that I
      got the highest midterm score in my class.

      It was God who helped me overcome my difficult
      trials at UCI.

      "...If a man will not work, he shall not eat."
      2 Thessalonians 3:10

      Copyright - CHEMISTRY (CHristian E-mail MIniSTRY)
      E-mail: _JosephYLee@..._ (mailto:JosephYLee@...)
      Website: _http://www.josephylee.org_ (http://www.josephylee.org)