Favorite pipe tobacco

  • Ogre
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 11, 2012
      Let me know what your favorite pipe tobacco is. Mine is Peterson: Gold Blend. I will gladly try some of your favorite tobacco if you let me know where you purchased it from.
    • dblackmanwells
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 11, 2012
        Dunhill ...Early Morning... On line.
        --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "Ogre" <dieselbuzz@...> wrote:

        > Let me know what your favorite pipe tobacco is. Mine is Peterson: Gold Blend. I will gladly try some of your favorite tobacco if you let me know where you purchased it from.

      • Randy W.
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 12, 2012
          For my go-to blend I like Lane's RLP-6. My next favorite is from Peter Stokkebye, Luxury Navy Flake.

          --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "Ogre" <dieselbuzz@...> wrote:

          > Let me know what your favorite pipe tobacco is. Mine is Peterson: Gold Blend. I will gladly try some of your favorite tobacco if you let me know where you purchased it from.

        • Philip V
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 13, 2012
            I like Prince Albert soft vanilla.
            Sincerely,
            Phil

            --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "Randy W." <randyw41a@...> wrote:

            > For my go-to blend I like Lane's RLP-6. My next favorite is from Peter Stokkebye, Luxury Navy Flake.
            >

            > --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "Ogre" <dieselbuzz@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Let me know what your favorite pipe tobacco is. Mine is Peterson: Gold Blend. I will gladly try some of your favorite tobacco if you let me know where you purchased it from.

          • Bear W
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2013
              Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, Half and Half are my favorites. Guess I'm an old codger, burly kind of guy. Any other old codgers out there?
            • Michael McFadden
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 5, 2013
                Re Half 'n Half...

                I'm not actually a pipe-smoker. My reason d'etre for being here is more as
                a Free Choice activist person fighting the smoking bans and taxes. BUT...
                I *do* roll my own smokes and the other day I found an old box with a half
                dozen or so unopened packets of Half n' Half. The box was at LEAST five to
                ten years old, and the person I got it from had it for a while before
                that... so I wasn't expecting much. LOL! Surprisingly, although I don't
                know what a FRESH batch would be like, the tobacco seemed perfectly fine
                and moist and produced a pretty nice smoke!

                Soooo.... if SCHIP 2 gets revived and you're looking at a 3,000% or so tax
                increase on pipe tobacco, you might be pretty safe buying five or ten
                years' worth before the tax hits. I did that with cigarette rolling
                tobacco before SCHIP 1 hit us with a 2,000% tax increase and it lasted me
                just about four years. The cigarette tobacco near the last couple of 1
                pound bags was starting to be a bit dry, but not overly so, and it rolled
                and tasted just fine!

                Michael J. McFadden
                Author of "Dissecting Antismokers' Brains"
                Manhattan College (Christian Brothers) graduate

              • Harry Pickett
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 5, 2013
                  On Tax,
                  Here in Australia it's around $40-45 for a pouch of pipe tobacco. i.e. Borkum Riff whiskey 50g was $46.70.
                  Now thats tax.
                  Harry

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 6, 2013
                    Sooo.... roughly a dollar a gram. $400/pound. That's what the
                    Antismokers here are aiming for, but they've got to move a bit more
                    incrementally. SCHIP2 would have hiked the cheapest pipe tobacco to $50 to
                    $75 / pound but for the moment that's been held off.

                    I knew Australia was bad (One of your compatriots wrote an incredibly
                    scholarly/radical book about ten years ago titled *"Rampant Antismoking
                    Signifies Grave Danger: Materialism Out of Control" *which you can download
                    for free at: http://www.rampant-antismoking.com/ if you're interested.
                    Great book, VERY radical, AND very well-researched. *NOT* aimed at the
                    "casual reader" though. LOL!) but am surprised to hear a price that high.
                    I would have thought they'd have it at about $100/pound. Does everybody
                    just grow their own illegally there now?

                    :?
                    Michael

                  • Harry Pickett
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 6, 2013
                      Thanks for the link- holy cow!
                      It made the inner me smile that such people still exist in our plastic world.
                      Apparently we can grow a small number of plants here, the problem being the climate.
                      Most of us import from the US or UK, you occasionally get a grumpy customs official who loosely interprets the 200 sticks of tobacco to mean anything they want.
                      Harry