Re: Question pipe styles

  • Philip V
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 19, 2012
      Dear Mel and Members,
      I prefer straight pipes. I do not spend a lot on my pipes usually $20 or a little more I shop for the sales.

      One thing I have noticed lately is that pipe bowls have a tendency to crack after several years of use. I do not recall this problem in former decades. I think pipe makers like Dr. Greybowl are using either less skilled workers or the materials are not as good as they used to be. Does anyone else have this problem?
      Sincerely,
      Phil

      --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "Reggie" <mel51us@...> wrote:

      > This board is very quiet. If I may be so bold, I would like to ask a question and see what response we get.
      > What is your favorite pipe shape(s), and what finish. Most of my pipes are bent, with Bulldogs being the preferred shape in rusticated finish. However, I have started smoking more straight stems, and seem to be adding more smooth finish pipes to my collection.
      > I hope some of our members will share their opinions on shape and finish.
      >
      > Mel (mel51us)

    • Randy W.
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 20, 2012
        I have at least 50 pipes in my collection, and of these, about 20 get used the most. I have a yard pipe which gets used almost daily. None of my pipes have any cracks in the bowls. I read a message in one of the groups one time, which warned against getting too much cake built up in the interior of the bowl, and also against letting it get to hot too hold in your hand. I scrape the interior once i see that it's beginning to get too thick. I have Grabows, and assorted other brands, some cheap, some pricey. For me, this seems to keep things in good shape. Hope this helps.
        Randy W...