Basket Pipe?

  • switcherjoe
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 29, 2011
      Other than artistry, and fills, is an expensive pipe any "better" than a basket pipe?
      Well crafted, doesn't a basket pipe deliver just as good a smoke?

      thanx for the wisdom!

      JR
    • Raymaker
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30, 2011
        Thank, "WJ"! Good thoughts. I've been lucky. . . JR
        On Sep 30, 2011, at 7:59 AM, wjeverly wrote:

        > One factor would be the quality of the raw material. When you're
        > paying a lot of money for a name brand pipe you are partly paying
        > for the pipemaker's expertise in chosing the best briar, knowing
        > how to read the wood, and his skill in carving the wood in the way
        > that produces the best smoking pipe. You don't get that assurance
        > in a basket pipe. You might get lucky and find a basket pipe that
        > was made well from good wood, but it will be the luck of the draw.
        >
        > --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "switcherjoe"
        > <twojrs@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Other than artistry, and fills, is an expensive pipe any "better"
        > than a basket pipe?
        > > Well crafted, doesn't a basket pipe deliver just as good a smoke?
        > >
        > > thanx for the wisdom!
        > >
        > > JR

      • wjeverly
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30, 2011
          One factor would be the quality of the raw material. When you're paying a lot of money for a name brand pipe you are partly paying for the pipemaker's expertise in chosing the best briar, knowing how to read the wood, and his skill in carving the wood in the way that produces the best smoking pipe. You don't get that assurance in a basket pipe. You might get lucky and find a basket pipe that was made well from good wood, but it will be the luck of the draw.

          --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "switcherjoe" <twojrs@...> wrote:

          > Other than artistry, and fills, is an expensive pipe any "better" than a basket pipe?
          > Well crafted, doesn't a basket pipe deliver just as good a smoke?
          >
          > thanx for the wisdom!
          >
          > JR

        • Truckpipe
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 30, 2011
            > Well crafted, doesn't a basket pipe deliver just as good a smoke?
            >
            > JR

            In my opinion the basket pipes can easily deliver a great smoke. I have two "basket" pipes that are stamped JR (hm coincidence?) From JR Cigars, they don't seem to have any of them now. I think they were seconds or pipes from apprentices. They both smoke really well. They are not perfectly symetrical in their lines and have some fills/knots/poor grain. It doesn't bother me as I bought them to smoke and not worry about hurting them. I do believe a good looking pipe, with fine grain or great lines does enhance the total smoking experience. Aesthetics do impact the experience. I do tend to pick my nicer looking pipes when I sit down at home and smoke. The JR's went with me in my big rig when on the road. Jusst my 2 cents! :-) Gregg
          • Raymaker
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2011
              Yes, I have known of JR Cigar for a long time. Visited his shop in
              Kansas City (?)
              My favorite cigar was a President, came in a long wooden box, like a
              pencil box.

              I understand that basket pies are fishing pipes, yard pipes (as if
              you didn't care about losing them).

              Drive safeley, Gregg! JR

              On Sep 30, 2011, at 12:50 PM, Truckpipe wrote:

              > Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest � Unsubscribe � Terms of Use
              > .

            • Philip V
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 30, 2011
                Dear Members,
                I have found that an inexpensive pipe can smoke very well. A lot depends on when your tobacco was mixed or made. You should be noticing that every once in a while your tobacco tastes good in one pipe but not an other. This might be due to over smoking that favorite pipe or just weather itself. It is good to rotate your pipes. I have about 30 pipes mostly inexpensive one but a dew gems that my Uncle gave me decades ago. Grandpa owned a tobacco store Panama fans and all. How I remember the wonderful smell of bubble gum and tobacco as a kid.

                The one draw back I have found to less expensive pipes is that they will not last as long physically. I have several pipes that are 40 plus years old and they still smoke fine but are showing some wear. It is important I think to have the bowl cleaned one every few years to get the creosalt out. I used to do it my self at work with a drill press and drill bite the size of the bowl.

                With the less expensive pipes you will find that they will after a few years crack and split. Not sure if this is a production problem or a skill problem. Perhaps the wood used is a lower grade than in earlier years of our fathers and grand fathers.

                Hope this helps.
                Sincerely,
                Phil

                --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "switcherjoe" <twojrs@...> wrote:

                > Other than artistry, and fills, is an expensive pipe any "better" than a basket pipe?
                > Well crafted, doesn't a basket pipe deliver just as good a smoke?
                >
                > thanx for the wisdom!
                >
                > JR

              • Raymaker
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 30, 2011
                  Thanks, Phil, for the interesting story! JR
                  On Sep 30, 2011, at 5:13 PM, Philip V wrote:

                  > Dear Members,
                  > I have found that an inexpensive pipe can smoke very well. A lot
                  > depends on when your tobacco was mixed or made. You should be
                  > noticing that every once in a while your tobacco tastes good in one
                  > pipe but not an other. This might be due to over smoking that
                  > favorite pipe or just weather itself. It is good to rotate your
                  > pipes. I have about 30 pipes mostly inexpensive one but a dew gems
                  > that my Uncle gave me decades ago. Grandpa owned a tobacco store
                  > Panama fans and all. How I remember the wonderful smell of bubble
                  > gum and tobacco as a kid.
                  >
                  > The one draw back I have found to less expensive pipes is that they
                  > will not last as long physically. I have several pipes that are 40
                  > plus years old and they still smoke fine but are showing some wear.
                  > It is important I think to have the bowl cleaned one every few
                  > years to get the creosalt out. I used to do it my self at work with
                  > a drill press and drill bite the size of the bowl.
                  >
                  > With the less expensive pipes you will find that they will after a
                  > few years crack and split. Not sure if this is a production problem
                  > or a skill problem. Perhaps the wood used is a lower grade than in
                  > earlier years of our fathers and grand fathers.
                  >
                  > Hope this helps.
                  > Sincerely,
                  > Phil
                  >
                  > --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "switcherjoe"
                  > <twojrs@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Other than artistry, and fills, is an expensive pipe any "better"
                  > than a basket pipe?
                  > > Well crafted, doesn't a basket pipe deliver just as good a smoke?
                  > >
                  > > thanx for the wisdom!
                  > >
                  > > JR

                • Randy W.
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 12, 2012
                    My very first pipe was from a basket. A semi-bent Big Ben Oxford. It's in my top three pipes, out of a collection of fifty. If we include estate pipes in this discussion, I have a Wally Frank pipe, circa 1940's, which is the best smoker out of my entire collection...