Re:Pipe Smoking and Heart Disease?

  • Cantiloper@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
      Switcher Joe, I'm not a "medical person," but I *have* been fighting the
      lies of the Antismokers for roughly 35 years at this point. Please go to:

      _http://encyclopedia.smokersclub.com/257.html_
      (http://encyclopedia.smokersclub.com/257.html)

      and read about the "New Stiletto" there and then read the New Stiletto
      itself (It's free!) to see the kind of misinformation and propaganda that is
      out there. Your doc, being a cardiologist, has been surrounded on a daily
      basis for his entire career with a belief system that has made him extremely
      hostile to smoking. I believe there is some substance to those beliefs,
      but it's quite likely that his views are exaggerated and that they become
      still more exaggerated as he imparts them to you in a well-meant attempt to
      change your health behaviors for the better.

      Smoking a pipe all day long is probably bad for you in some ways. It
      *may* have some negative effect on your heart health (I emphasize "may" because
      the original SG Reports actually indicated a benefit to the heart from
      pipe smoking - although it's possible that the benefit came from the
      confounder of higher social classes being more likely to smoke pipes.) however it
      seems fairly clear that heavy pipe smoking increases certain types of oral
      cancers. That's balanced a little bit by the fact that if you are a good
      self-observer and are under regular medical care I believe most of those oral
      cancers can usually be caught pretty early and treated quite successfully.
      (Remember in all this: I am *not* a doctor... just a well-read researcher
      in the area!)

      Smoking a pipe can have positive benefits as well though. I haven't
      looked at the research for a while, but I believe it may reduce some conditions
      - e.g. Alzheimer's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis - and may have
      significant psychological / enjoyment-of-life benefits.

      Generally, as a lay person with a probably pronounced bias in the area, I
      think light to moderate pipe smoking by someone who greatly enjoys it is
      probably far more of a positive in one's life (absent the miseries imposed by
      Antismokers at least) than a negative. Very heavy pipe smoking might be a
      bit different, but again the real judgement has to boil down to the
      individual and their beliefs and preferences once they've had access to accurate
      information.

      Sooo.... read the "New Stiletto" and it may help you to understand where
      some of his feelings about the subject come from. Heh... if you want to
      give him a shocker, get him a copy of Brains. LOL! A few years ago when I
      had a temporary concern over some "skipped heartbeats" I went through (and
      passed with flying colors!) a battery of heart tests at a well-known
      Philadelphia medical center. While there I met the chief cardiologist (Well, more
      like I was grilled unmercifully by him during a treadmill stress test -
      they evidently like to get you worked up and talking during those things!)
      who I treated at some length to a summary of my work. He *LOVED* it and was
      later quite pleased when I gave him an autographed Brains all for himself!

      :>
      Michael

      Michael J. McFadden
      Author of "Dissecting Antismokers' Brains"
      _http://TheTruthIsALie.com_ (http://thetruthisalie.com/)

    • Raymaker
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
        Thank you, Michael! I printed your letter (easier to read) and
        "saved it" for easy referral
        to the TONS of information it contains. Happy Easter! JR+