History of aromatic pipe tobacco

  • jeffsapser
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2009
      I'm writing a book and want to know if aromatic blends of pipe tabacco were around in the 1940's at least in North America. Any help would sure be appreciated.

      Jeff
    • glclover
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2009
        Jeff,
        The history of pipe tobacco is full of aromatic additives, typically to reduce the sharpness of the poor quality leaf that was used in the early years. Everything from camphor to nuts was added to tobacco to make it more palatible. Archaeological excavations in England and South Africa have turned up clay pipe bowls with the residue of many aromatic spices in addition to the pipe tobacco.

        Take a look at Chris' Pipe Pages. He has a digitized 1939 Wally Frank catalog posted. The pages for Aromatic Pipe Tobacco is:
        http://pipepages.com/pics/wftp9.jpg
        http://pipepages.com/pics/wftp10.jpg
        http://pipepages.com/pics/wftp11.jpg

        Good luck with your research, and good luck with the book.

        --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "jeffsapser" <jeffsapser@...> wrote:

        > I'm writing a book and want to know if aromatic blends of pipe tabacco were around in the 1940's at least in North America. Any help would sure be appreciated.
        >
        > Jeff

      • jeffsapser
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 10, 2009
          Thanks for your help. This is what I was hoping to find.

          Jeff

          --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "jeffsapser" <jeffsapser@...> wrote:

          > I'm writing a book and want to know if aromatic blends of pipe tabacco were around in the 1940's at least in North America. Any help would sure be appreciated.
          >
          > Jeff

        • oldfolkiesc
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 11, 2009
            Yes, aromatic blends were available in the 1940s and you can still enjoy many of them today. The Yoe, Pennsylvania blender, "House of Windsor," continues to blend and market the popular "drug store blends" of the 1930s-1940s. In addition, old-line family tobacco shops like Uhle's or Peretti's can replicate their blends of the pre-WWII era from the original recipes.