Chicago Pipe Show - another success and more to come

  • Glen Clover
    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2009
      Fellow Pipesmokers,
      Well, if unlike Max and me, you didn't make it to Chicago for the big pipeshow, you missed a great get-together of the brothers (and sisters) of the briar. We had a great turnout, perhaps a bit smaller than previous years, but a fabulous opportunity to meet old friends, make new ones, and browse the biggest display of pipes and pipeweed in the world. The resort provided the silly smoking tent again this year, but at least it was much bigger than last year - imagine a small circus tent full of happily puffing pipesmokers!! <smile> The array of pipes was amazing, from cherry to morta (petrified bog oak) and from veteran carvers to 'new guys' with lots of talent. Unfortunately there were more $500 - $1000 pipes than budget priced bargains, but that's the industry. Bargains were there to be found, and shopping for them was a fun and rewarding part of the weekend. The best part of the show was chatting and smoking a bowl or two with old friends from around the country (and world), and remembering that one of the most rewarding things about pipesmoking is enjoying a smoke with a friend. The announcements during the event indicated that we will again be meeting at Pheasant Run for at least one more year, and that some smoking guest rooms will again be offered during our stay. Looks like the smoking tent will return again, but that's OK, we can work around it. Highest recommendations for your efforts to attend this show one year. Best wishes . . Glen
    • Cantiloper@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 10, 2009
        In a message dated 5/10/2009 3:59:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com writes:

        The announcements during the event indicated that we will again be meeting
        at Pheasant Run for at least one more year, and that some smoking guest
        rooms will again be offered during our stay. Looks like the smoking tent will
        return again, but that's OK, we can work around it.

        Sadly, I have to warn you: don't count your smoking guest rooms till
        they're hatched. Despite my best efforts to convince the Tavern League that
        there'd be support from smokers for them to stand up to the Antis, it looks
        like they've buckled in Wisconsin and not only agreed to a standard total ban
        but have INCLUDED a total surrender on the hotel issue. As of 2010 there
        will probably be NO smoking rooms ANYWHERE in the state of Wisconsin... and
        once the Antis get away with it there they'll hop on all the other states
        as well.

        While IPCR (?) has recently come into the fight their efforts seem to be
        largely along traditional lobbying lines and I haven't seen them having much
        luck yet. The rank and file of pipe/cigar folks have largely stood aside
        while the cigarette smokers were getting rolled over and the cigar bars and
        tobacco shops will likely hit in the next year or two pretty easily as they
        don't constitute much of a lobby on their own. Also a decent chance we'll
        see a *truly* massive increase in pipe/cigar tobacco taxes to make up for
        the SCHIP shortfall from the cigarette smokers. I've already seen calls to
        equalize tax rates on *all* tobacco products. Loose Roll Your Own tobacco
        got hit with a 2,100% increase under SCHIP. Think what that'll do to pipe
        tobacco. :/

        We'll have to see what happens, but only time will tell. Meanwhile I'd
        strongly urge anyone in this group who's not already active to begin getting
        active... it's already pretty late in the game but the alternative is simply
        to look to a future where your pipes will simply be pretty things to
        admire in a rack. (heh... looked at pipes on EBay lately? Notice the ones that
        guarantee they "come from a non-smoking home" so they won't offend the
        buyers! Sheeesh!)

        Michael J. McFadden
        Author of "Dissecting Antismokers' Brains"
        Mid-Atlantic Director, Citizens Freedom Alliance
        Director, Pennsylvania Smokers' Action Network
        _www.Antibrains.com_ (http://www.antibrains.com/)
        _Cantiloper@..._ (mailto:Cantiloper@...)

        **************Recession-proof vacation ideas. Find free things to do in
        the U.S.