Smoking a Pipe in Iraq

  • galaktek69
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 2009
      It has been quite some time since I have posted anything here at all.
      I've been quite busy being deployed to Iraq. The whole mobilization
      process was a very stressful one and my pipe came out on a few
      occasions. Now I'm in my CHU (combat housing unit) in Baghdad. So far
      I've really only smoked my pipe outside the wire (off the "safe"
      confines of the base). The first was in the parking lot, so to speak,
      of an Iraqi Police station just outside of my truck. The second time
      was a few days later on the roof of the IP station.

      Yeah, I stop to ask myself, how do i have time to get an enjoyable
      smoke in the "danger zone"? I really don't know. I can tell you that
      so far I've not seen any action for the whole month I've been here.
      Only a short time I know, but I take every day with out incident as a
      good day.

      Across the street from me is the chow hall and next to that is a shop
      that sells meerschaum pipes. I think I'll buy one or two while I'm
      over here...
    • Cantiloper@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2009
        Galaktek, are you saying that you are not allowed to smoke your pipe in a
        "safe" zone in Iraq? I know the Antismokers here mounted a campaign in late
        2004 to keep people from sending cigars over to the troops a few years ago,
        but it still seems pretty incredible that they might tell smokers they had to
        go outside the safe area. Can you clarify?

        :?
        Michael
        (Heh.... the anti-cigar campaign prompted me to write a rather tart,
        though sadly unpublished, letter to the editor where I suggested that the leader
        of the campaign, who had based it on a plea not to "endanger" the lives of the
        troops, might enjoy a short vacation in Iraq where he could explain to the
        soldiers what a nice favor he had done them. The article that prompted my
        letter included the following: "the Lung Association's spokesman, Joel Africk,
        urged people not to send smokes to soldiers in Iraq even if those soldiers
        asked for them, saying "Tobacco use presents an immediate and real danger for
        our soldiers who are on the lines today... our troops should be sent care
        packages that don't kill.")

        Michael J. McFadden
        Author of Dissecting Antismokers' Brains
        Mid-Atlantic Director, Citizens Freedom Alliance, Inc.
        Director, Pennsylvania Smokers' Action Network (PASAN)_
        http://pasan.TheTruthIsALie.com_ (http://pasan.thetruthisalie.com/)

        net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)

      • Philip Viverito
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2009
          Dear galaktek69,
          Let me personally thank you for the sacrifice you are making by
          serving in our armed forces. I am sure that the group feels the same.

          If there is any thing you might want from the State let me know and I
          will gladly find and send what you might require.

          Take the few pleasures you can while you can. How much do pipes go for
          in Baghdad?
          God Bless,
          Phil

          --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "galaktek69"
          <galaktek69@...> wrote:

          > It has been quite some time since I have posted anything here at all.
          > I've been quite busy being deployed to Iraq. The whole mobilization
          > process was a very stressful one and my pipe came out on a few
          > occasions. Now I'm in my CHU (combat housing unit) in Baghdad. So far
          > I've really only smoked my pipe outside the wire (off the "safe"
          > confines of the base). The first was in the parking lot, so to speak,
          > of an Iraqi Police station just outside of my truck. The second time
          > was a few days later on the roof of the IP station.
          >
          > Yeah, I stop to ask myself, how do i have time to get an enjoyable
          > smoke in the "danger zone"? I really don't know. I can tell you that
          > so far I've not seen any action for the whole month I've been here.
          > Only a short time I know, but I take every day with out incident as a
          > good day.
          >
          > Across the street from me is the chow hall and next to that is a shop
          > that sells meerschaum pipes. I think I'll buy one or two while I'm
          > over here...

        • galaktek69
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 23, 2009
            First I would like to apologize for how long it has taken me to
            respond and second I am responding to both posts...

            I can smoke in the safe zone, but so far I have not. My wife recently
            sent me some tobacco from back home so that is not a problem; not to
            mention one of my buddies was able to get some cuban cigars sent to him.

            Philip, thank you for your kind words. I'm not too sure about regular
            pipes, I have not really gone looking. The one meerschaum that I
            looked at the guy told me was $200, but he would give me the "special"
            price of $180. Of course I am expected to haggle the price down. I
            bought a turkish rug for $150 that the guy said was $300 and talked
            him down to $300 on one he said was $900 but did not buy it. Just the
            way the culture is.

            --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Viverito"