Selma Alabama-What you do to My Brothers

  • Philip Viverito
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2008
      Dear Members.
      With all the hub bub about the economy we should not forget to keep others in our
      prayers Government regulations has caused a small sector of American workers to lose
      their jobs.

      If you know any of these people and they might need our help and prayers please advise

      Here the story. Where ....

      Selma, Alabama cigar factory that turned out machine-made cigars since 1941 will close
      for good on December 5.

      The Selma Times Journal reported that some 213 workers at an Altadis U.S.A. facility in
      Selma were told on Tuesday morning that the plant would be closing, with the last day of
      production to be Friday, November 14. Employees will be paid through December 15.

      According to the news report, the closure reflected lowered demand for blunt-style cigars;
      the primary brand still made at that factory was the popular Phillies line.

      Altadis U.S.A. has been concentrating more and more of its production of machine-made
      cigars in its Tabacalera de Garcia facility in La Romana in the Dominican Republic. Factory
      chief Jose Seijas noted in March that the machine-made section of the facility turns out
      300 million cigars a year and runs around the clock with three shifts, seven days a week.
    • Randy Warren
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2008
        I was told by my local tobacconist that the Altadis Company, had been
        sold to an outfit in Spain. I've also been hearing rumors that Lane
        Limited is being sold too. My tobacconist told me that for bulk
        tobaccos, they would probably go to the McClelland tobaccos. For me
        it's not a tragedy, as I smoke Samuel Gawith Blends, and believe it
        or not, my go-to Burley blend is, Carter Hall in the 14oz. tub. It
        has a much better taste than the pouch variety...

        --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Viverito"