Re: Please welcome new member!

  • Bruce Wilkison
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 4 8:25 PM
      --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Nash"
      <steve_nash_888@...> wrote:

      > Please welcome new member Jae2003_21 from Denmark who writes:

      Yes, welcome to all the recent new members! I was looking forward to
      an enjoyable bowl or two during my Christmas break from school, but
      instead I ended up with an awful sinus infection that lasted about 10
      days. Sinus infections and pipe smoking aren't a good combination, to
      say the least, so it'll have to wait... :o(

      I hope everyone's Christmas was joyous, and that their 2008 has
      started well!

      Bruce
    • Steve Nash
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 7, 2008
        Please welcome Turnkey001 who writes:

        >>>Member of SF thought I'd like to see what you were up to.<<<

        Welcome!!!

        steve nash
        moderator
      • Brian E.
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 7, 2008
          Welcome Turnkey,

          I'm also a member of SF. Great forum. What's your baccy of choice? How long have you been smoking a pipe? Looking forward to your posts.

          Enjoy

          owias

          Steve Nash <steve_nash_888@...> wrote:
          Please welcome Turnkey001 who writes:

          >>>Member of SF thought I'd like to see what you were up to.<<<

          Welcome!!!

          steve nash
          moderator

        • Dan Gable
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 8, 2008
            Smoked about 25 years.

            My current tobaccos of choice are:

            Count Pulaski
            C&D Crooner
            Habana's Trout Stream
            SG Crooner

            Used to really like PS Luxury Curly Cut before the discontinued it.

          • Randy Warren
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 12, 2008
              Welcome to the group Dan.
              I'm relatively new to the group too. Was a cigarette
              smoker for 20+ years. Glad I switched.
              My tobacco favorites:
              BLWB, 1Q, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, some assorted bulk blends from a
              local tobacconist. Anything with a lot of Latikia. My experiance with
              tinned products haven't been too rewarding. Been wanting to try that
              new Maltese Falcon, but my tobacconist doesn't carry it yet.
              Talk at you later,

              Randy W.
              Indianapolis, Indiana

              --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Gable" <dangable@...>
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 12, 2008
                Welcome to the group Dan. Glad to have you aboard. I too like 1Q and Count Pulaski. Plan on trying the Trout Stream real soon.

                Take care.

                owias

                Randy Warren <randyw41a@...> wrote: Welcome to the group Dan.

                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 18, 2008
                  Hi Group!

                  Please welcome new member LeRoy T. who writes:

                  >>>I am a Christian, ordained minister, and I like to smoke my pipes.<<<

                  We're a rather quiet group, LeRoy. Maybe you can help stimulate some
                  conversations here?

                  Welcome and Best Regards!!

                  steve nash
                  Moderator
                • Doug Hargadine
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 18, 2008
                    Welcome to the group LeRoy - Glad to have you with us! What type of tobacco do you like to smoke?

                    Doug

                    Steve Nash <steve_nash_888@...> wrote:

                    Hi Group!

                    Please welcome new member LeRoy T. who writes:

                    >>>I am a Christian, ordained minister, and I like to smoke my pipes.<<<

                    We're a rather quiet group, LeRoy. Maybe you can help stimulate some
                    conversations here?

                    Welcome and Best Regards!!

                    steve nash
                    Moderator

                  • Raymaker
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 18, 2008
                      Me too: Christian, ordained priest, pipe smoker, and TRYING to "put
                      on Christ"
                      it ain't easy<g> JR

                    • Cantiloper@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 18, 2008
                        I don't do my "political" thing here too often, and we are clearly more a
                        meditiative and communal oriented group than an activist one, but for the
                        benefit of the dozen or so new members since I last mentioned this I'd like to
                        point out a resource for any pipe smokers who may feel persecuted for their
                        method of relaxation. :)

                        If you go to _Stilettos, DoDefiance! online_
                        (http://encyclopedia.smokersclub.com/257.html)

                        and download and print out the "Stiletto", you will find some interesting
                        analysis of the claims that you often hear made in support of smoking bans and
                        the general persecution of smokers. I'd strongly recommend printing out the
                        .pdf version there for easy reading.

                        If you'd like to discuss the content, I'd also ask that you do it via my
                        direct email rather than on-list as I don't think folks here generally really
                        want extended discussions of the political side of our smokey enjoyments.
                        (Hey, if I'm wrong on that jes' lemmeee know ... LOL! )

                        :>
                        Michael, A non-pipe smoker, and not generally a "church-going" Christian,
                        but still one who loves this group 'n the nice folks on it!

                        Michael J. McFadden
                        Author of "Dissecting Antismokers' Brains"
                        _http://encyclopedia.smokersclub.com/130.html_
                        (http://encyclopedia.smokersclub.com/130.html)

                      • owias12
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 18, 2008
                          <steve_nash_888@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Group!

                          > We're a rather quiet group, LeRoy. Maybe you can help stimulate some
                          > conversations here?
                          >
                          > Welcome and Best Regards!!
                          >
                          > steve nash
                          > Moderator

                          Welcome aboard LeRoy. Enjoy the group. Steve's right, it's usually
                          pretty quiet here.

                          I would like to pose a question to the group, one that maybe the
                          ordained clergy members could give some insight to. What do ya'll
                          see as the biggest problem facing our churches today?

                          Looking forward to reading the responses.

                          Take care. Again, welcome LeRoy!!

                          owias
                        • owias12
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 18, 2008
                            --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, Raymaker <remnant@...> wrote:

                            > Me too: Christian, ordained priest, pipe smoker, and TRYING to "put
                            > on Christ"
                            > it ain't easy<g> JR
                            > On Jun 18, 2008, at 1:05 AM, Steve Nash wrote:

                            JR,

                            If you don't mind me asking, which church are you a priest for?

                          • LeRoy Trusty
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 20, 2008
                              Let me see if I can answer your questions.
                              The type of pipe I use is normally a bent. But I have a few cobs I
                              enjoy. I even made a makeshift pipe out of an apple when I didn't
                              bring my bowl with me. Now talk about a sweet smoking experience.
                              When I am not smoking a pipe I usually have a cigar as a backup. My
                              daughter's boyfriend turned me on to CAOs but a good Havana Cohiba -

                              The tobacco - always trying new stuff. I was at the Old West in
                              Colorado Springs after the cardio doc gave me a clean bill of
                              health. Tough at times, but I have a tin of Prince Albert that I
                              enjoy when I go to the cabin. Otherwise an English blend.

                              I have a Masters in Ministry from Southern Nazarene University
                              (shhh, a Nazarene smoking a pipe, he is backsliden). Nah, changed
                              denominations a while back. I think Wesley was a bit off center.

                              Open for some discussion? Uhm, I am a professor on the side and
                              teach various subjects, but my favorite is philosophy. Getting
                              ready to start a term at Pikes Peak Community College.
                              I could ask how we are as far as Universals and Universal
                              Truth. "Is knowing universal truth more important than being
                              individualistic?" All part of searching for knowledge....

                              So what are the biggest problems the church faces? That is a tough
                              question. I think the biggest problem is that the church skirts the
                              infallable truth of the Word. That is why a denomination can get
                              hung up on a person that likes to smoke a pipe or cigar, yet have a
                              potluck with more carbs than Hersey's chocolate factory and not
                              think about health issues. When the real truth is who our savior is
                              and what he said regarding our path to heaven. What is wrong or
                              right based on the scriptures and not what a group of sexually pent
                              up men decided in a closed room. Just my opinion.

                              LeRoy

                              <steve_nash_888@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Group!

                              > We're a rather quiet group, LeRoy. Maybe you can help stimulate
                              some
                              > conversations here?
                              >
                              > Welcome and Best Regards!!
                              >
                              > steve nash
                              > Moderator

                            • LeRoy Trusty
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 22, 2008
                                Oh yea, married continuously to the same wife for 34 1/2 years, three
                                adult daughters, and work as a safety manager when I am not doing the
                                fun things in life. Can't tell you where I work but you can look it up
                                on zoominfo.com. The "firm" is strange about people telling about
                                where they work.
                                LeRoy

                                --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "LeRoy Trusty"
                                <leroy_trusty@...> wrote:

                                > Let me see if I can answer your questions.
                                > The type of pipe I use is normally a bent. But I have a few cobs I
                                > enjoy. I even made a makeshift pipe out of an apple when I didn't
                                > bring my bowl with me. Now talk about a sweet smoking experience.
                                > When I am not smoking a pipe I usually have a cigar as a backup. My
                                > daughter's boyfriend turned me on to CAOs but a good Havana Cohiba -
                                >
                                > The tobacco - always trying new stuff. I was at the Old West in
                                > Colorado Springs after the cardio doc gave me a clean bill of
                                > health. Tough at times, but I have a tin of Prince Albert that I
                                > enjoy when I go to the cabin. Otherwise an English blend.
                                >
                                > I have a Masters in Ministry from Southern Nazarene University
                                > (shhh, a Nazarene smoking a pipe, he is backsliden). Nah, changed
                                > denominations a while back. I think Wesley was a bit off center.
                                >
                                > Open for some discussion? Uhm, I am a professor on the side and
                                > teach various subjects, but my favorite is philosophy. Getting
                                > ready to start a term at Pikes Peak Community College.
                                > I could ask how we are as far as Universals and Universal
                                > Truth. "Is knowing universal truth more important than being
                                > individualistic?" All part of searching for knowledge....
                                >
                                > So what are the biggest problems the church faces? That is a tough
                                > question. I think the biggest problem is that the church skirts the
                                > infallable truth of the Word. That is why a denomination can get
                                > hung up on a person that likes to smoke a pipe or cigar, yet have a
                                > potluck with more carbs than Hersey's chocolate factory and not
                                > think about health issues. When the real truth is who our savior is
                                > and what he said regarding our path to heaven. What is wrong or
                                > right based on the scriptures and not what a group of sexually pent
                                > up men decided in a closed room. Just my opinion.
                                >

                                > LeRoy
                                >

                                > --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Nash"
                                > <steve_nash_888@> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > Hi Group!

                                > pipes.<<<
                                > >
                                > > We're a rather quiet group, LeRoy. Maybe you can help stimulate
                                > some
                                > > conversations here?
                                > >
                                > > Welcome and Best Regards!!
                                > >
                                > > steve nash
                                > > Moderator

                              • Steve Nash
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 18, 2009
                                  Please welcome new member Clydeselsor who writes:

                                  >>>I am a Christian and have been a pipe smoker for 20 years.<<<

                                  Welcome, welcome!!

                                  Please look around, check out photos, messages, links, etc.

                                  Please let me know if there's anything I can help you with.

                                  Best Regards,

                                  steve nash
                                  Moderator
                                • Philip Viverito
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 19, 2009
                                    Dear Clydeselsor,
                                    Welcome to the group. Look forward to haering from you.
                                    Phil
                                  • Raymaker
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 28, 2015
                                      That's a tough one, and I will think about it. My first reaction
                                      is: which church???
                                      And whose perspective? My perspective tells me that the people of
                                      most churches,
                                      a not open to te idea that anyone else might also share "the way",
                                      and that they are more
                                      a club than a place of worship, that church is a habit, and the
                                      idea that you might meet Jesus there,
                                      never crosses one's mind. Lots of exceptions I suppose, and at the
                                      age of 73 I'm "jaded".
                                      I concentrate on my personal relationship with Himself, and try not
                                      to worry about the rest.
                                      Don't want to bury my "talents" in a coffee can, for sure.

                                      Ah, I got it! A church, no matter which one, is a bureaucracy,
                                      defensive, and full of Scribes & Pharisees;
                                      just what Jesus condemned. I mention no particular church; you'll
                                      have to imagine what I'm thinking.
                                      One covets its historic building; one covers the behinds of its
                                      errant clergy. One closes out strangers
                                      from Communion, etc,etc.

                                      JR
                                      On Jun 18, 2008, at 2:20 PM, owias12 wrote:

                                      > --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Nash"
                                      > <steve_nash_888@...> wrote:
                                      >>

                                      >> Hi Group!

                                      >> We're a rather quiet group, LeRoy. Maybe you can help stimulate some
                                      >> conversations here?
                                      >>
                                      >> Welcome and Best Regards!!
                                      >>
                                      >> steve nash
                                      >> Moderator
                                      >>
                                      > Welcome aboard LeRoy. Enjoy the group. Steve's right, it's usually
                                      > pretty quiet here.
                                      >
                                      > I would like to pose a question to the group, one that maybe the
                                      > ordained clergy members could give some insight to. What do ya'll
                                      > see as the biggest problem facing our churches today?
                                      >
                                      > Looking forward to reading the responses.
                                      >
                                      > Take care. Again, welcome LeRoy!!
                                      >
                                      > owias

                                    • Raymaker
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 28, 2015
                                        The "Anglican" church, which in this country means you are
                                        theologically conservative,
                                        like the old Prayer Book, don't honor women as priests or bishops,
                                        still think that there
                                        are sins of all kinds that need avoiding, etc. When the Episcopal
                                        Church, bless them, started
                                        turning away from the "classic" Anglicanism in the early '70s, four
                                        "continuing"churches formed
                                        in this country. There's now more than forty, and everywhere you
                                        look, there's guys wearing purple.
                                        But punch up The Anglican Catholic Church, and there you will find
                                        integrity and continuity with
                                        the ancient Christian faith. However, clergy remain human . . . JR+