My condolences

  • Joseph W. Bowman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2004
      Hello all,

      I just saw on our local news (here in Toronto) that Ronald Reagan has
      passed away. My sincere condolences to all of my American brothers.

      Joseph
    • winstonsmith_99
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2004
        Joseph,
        How thoughtful of you to think of us.
        I must say, when I entered the U.S. Navy in 1979, the U.S.
        military was in the grip of a collective depression. Almost
        instantaneous with Pres. Reagan's inauguration was the lifting of
        that depression. The man ordered an huge pay raise for us. We began
        receiving equipment and training we had desperately needed for quite
        some time. Whenever he spoke of the U.S. military, my heart began to
        warm and throb in my chest, and I suspect the effect was not limited
        to myself, as I never met a fellow military man who didn't refer to
        Pres. Reagan as "Uncle Ronnie". Those who didn't think of him as an
        uncle though of him as a dad, while more senior personnel thought of
        him as a brother. I mean, it was amazing, nay, miraculous the
        affection and respect that man received from his boys in the
        military. He loved America. He loved Americans. America was in his
        bones and blood. I couldn't listen to him speak but that I didn't
        feel good when he had finished.
        I will miss Ronald Reagan, though he has been out of the public
        eye for over a decade.
        I ask everyone here to join me this coming Friday, June 11, 2004
        at 8:00pm (your local time) for a smoke and a drink (if you're so
        inclined) in quiet celebration of the life of Ronald Reagan. Use your
        best pipe and your finest tobacco.
        Thanks again, Joseph.

        Best Regards,
        Winston

        --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph W. Bowman"
        <mr_grape@j...> wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I just saw on our local news (here in Toronto) that Ronald Reagan
        has
        > passed away. My sincere condolences to all of my American brothers.
        >

        > Joseph
      • A.R.S. KA9QLQ Alvin Koffman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2004
          And he was the only President to win a war with out going to war by
          ensuring our military had what it needed to defend the US. I'll try to
          make it.
          Alvin

          winstonsmith_99 wrote:

          >Joseph,
          > How thoughtful of you to think of us.
          > I must say, when I entered the U.S. Navy in 1979, the U.S.
          >military was in the grip of a collective depression. Almost
          >instantaneous with Pres. Reagan's inauguration was the lifting of
          >that depression. The man ordered an huge pay raise for us. We began
          >receiving equipment and training we had desperately needed for quite
          >some time. Whenever he spoke of the U.S. military, my heart began to
          >warm and throb in my chest, and I suspect the effect was not limited
          >to myself, as I never met a fellow military man who didn't refer to
          >Pres. Reagan as "Uncle Ronnie". Those who didn't think of him as an
          >uncle though of him as a dad, while more senior personnel thought of
          >him as a brother. I mean, it was amazing, nay, miraculous the
          >affection and respect that man received from his boys in the
          >military. He loved America. He loved Americans. America was in his
          >bones and blood. I couldn't listen to him speak but that I didn't
          >feel good when he had finished.
          > I will miss Ronald Reagan, though he has been out of the public
          >eye for over a decade.
          > I ask everyone here to join me this coming Friday, June 11, 2004
          >at 8:00pm (your local time) for a smoke and a drink (if you're so
          >inclined) in quiet celebration of the life of Ronald Reagan. Use your
          >best pipe and your finest tobacco.
          > Thanks again, Joseph.
          >
          >Best Regards,
          >Winston
          >
          >--- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph W. Bowman"
          ><mr_grape@j...> wrote:
          >

          >>Hello all,
          >>
          >>I just saw on our local news (here in Toronto) that Ronald Reagan
          >>

          >has
          >

          >>passed away. My sincere condolences to all of my American brothers.
          >>

          >>Joseph
          >>

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • barley_shpc
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 9, 2004
            Well said. Though I was never in the military, I think the feeling
            you describe was prevalent throughout the country (a la Jimmy
            Carter, the country was in the grip of a general "malaise"). When
            Ronnie took office you could sense the pride of being an American
            coming back--and not a "we're Americans, and you're not" kind of
            pride--but just a pride in what America was and is and in what she
            has accomplished.

            It was sad that such a great man had such an ignoble end--though his
            greatness remains untarnished. Were American presidents given the
            title "Great" as popes and kings & emperors are, we would definitely
            see in the history books "President Reagan the Great".

            And of course, as with all God's works, there was good even in the
            decline of Ronnie--the whole world was witness to the faithfullness
            with which Nancy stayed by his side, a desperately needed witness in
            our day.

            And with respect to his taking office, nothing so epitomized him so
            much as when Iran immediately decided they didn't want to play the
            hostage game anymore when they had to deal with Ronnie instead of
            Carter.

            Mark

            --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "winstonsmith_99"

          • barley_shpc
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 9, 2004
              Even more than that--Ronnie was the only president who even thought
              the Cold War COULD be won! The conventional wisdom had said the
              status quo, i.e. maintaining Mutually Assured Destruction, was the
              only way to live in the nuclear age without destroying the planet.
              Thanks to Ronnie's wisdom and vision, Earth is a safer place now
              than it was before he took office.

              Mark

              --- In christianpipesmokers@yahoogroups.com, "A.R.S. KA9QLQ Alvin