Re: Straight vs. bent pipes

  • brjoel
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2002
      I smoked bent pipes until I lost my teeth, then I switched to
      straight pipes. Lately, I've begun to re-use my bents with a rubber
      grommet on the end of the stem.

      I've noticed no difference caused by the shape of the stem. What
      differences I noticed were caused by the bore of the stem, the size
      of the bowl, and the quality of the briar. Cheap briars tend to smoke
      hot, no matter size or shape.

      Joel +
    • perkowsj
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2002
        From my experience, bents seem to collect more condensate, and thus a
        risk to gurgle... OK, that means a few more pipecleaners to use per
        smoke. I can deal with that.

        Bents, depending on the angle of the bend, are more challenging for
        many pipemakers to drill the smokehole from tobacco chamber to
        mortise. I had a Dunhill cumberland where even angling the pipe
        cleaner could not it into the bottom of the bowl. That pipe moved
        along without much use.

        Joel's comment on cheap briar is right on!!
        Of course, the s-l-o-w-e-r we all smoke the cooler the smoke.

        My $0.02. Go in peace, serve Him!

        John