New Church

  • CorAnglaisGuy
    Message 1 of 1259 , Aug 5, 2001
      I just wanted to tell you guys about my praise
      report. For over a year, I had been a member of the
      largest baptist church in my county. Unfortunately one of
      my (formerly) best friends and I had a huge
      conflict. I tried to approach him according to the Word of
      the Lord, and to paraphrase his actions, hus response
      was "No, the word of God does not apply to this
      situation, and I will not reconcile with you". So i went to
      the church to intervene in the situation as we were
      both involved in the music area of ministry.
      Basically, my church was more than happy to tell me what was
      wrong with myself, but wouldnt even consider holding
      that "friend" accountable. so needless to say, I had
      to leave that place.<br><br>Praise the Lord, my
      current best friend and roomie got a job at a local
      Assemblies of God church, and i have been attending there
      for like 3 months now. I just put in my application
      for membership a few days ago. I have never been to a
      church like this. I spent 3 weeks helping my roomie get
      things done around there on a volunteer basis, then I
      had to stay away for a week while I moved. When I got
      back, people actually said they had missed me and were
      asking where I was. They provided me with an awesome way
      to participate in the music program, even offered me
      a temporary job painting until I get my life
      settled. This congregation is very tame for assemblies of
      God, very scriptural. Im so happy to be in a place
      where people actually love me independent of my status
      with other people in the group. Its truly a place
      where the spirit of God is in control.
      Hallelujah.....now back to your regularly scheduled pipe chat!
    • Nolan Habegger
      Message 1259 of 1259 , Oct 15, 2007
        Randy,

        While I have Christian friends who are cigar/pipe smokers, I don't worry
        about my non-smoking brothers and sisters finding out or knowing. Smoking a
        pipe is a very personal and individual activity (though it can be very
        stimulating when done in the presence of those who appreciate it and
        participate). I am no more concerned about people detecting that I've been
        smoking a pipe than I am if they know I had garlic for lunch (though a
        breath mint in both cases would be a common courtesy).

        Most people today will either judge you and talk about you behind your back,
        or blow it off and go on with life. The rare bird that wants to know why and
        how often you smoke, and what you find appealling in it will most likely end
        up in one of these categories any way. If you are worried about people
        rejecting you because you smoke a pipe, then you are either fellowshipping
        with people who don't understand the Gospel in its entirety, or you live
        your life to gain the approval of others - or maybe both.

        Unless you are dealing with a compulsive tobacco addiction (i.e., it has
        control of you and not the other way around), I would encourage you to deal
        with the issue in humility. Yes, I smoke a pipe. It is very relaxing and
        meditative. Yes, I understand the risks of tobacco abuse, and so I'm
        disciplined in its use. Would you like to see my pipe? Would you like to try
        my pipe? I find the hobby very enjoyable. What are your hobbies? etc.

        In my experience, the less of a big deal you make of it, the more clear it
        is to your critics that you are not some nicotine addict staunchly defending
        a pack a day habit. I approach alcohol in much the same way, and I've had
        many very good conversations about the wine bottle on my kitchen counter
        using the same strategy.

        Don't know if this helps, but there you go.

        Nolan Habegger
        The Woodlands, TX

        _____