Fw: Odell Faith, eTeacherBiblical Newsletter- Isaac- The father who cried and didn't laugh

  • faith
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2010

      http://friendsnchrist.ning.com/group/waitingforthelordskingdom
      http://www.myspace.com/craftybooks http://www.facebook.com/faithodell http://craftybooks.wordpress.com http://www.myspace.com/thefaithclub

      --- On Tue, 8/17/10, eTeacherBiblical Newsletter <newsletter@...> wrote:

      From: eTeacherBiblical Newsletter <newsletter@...>
      Subject: Odell Faith, eTeacherBiblical Newsletter- Isaac- The father who cried and didn't laugh
      To: "craftybooks@..." <craftybooks@...>
      Date: Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 11:10 AM

      If you cannot see this email properly, please click here

      EnglishEspañol
      eteacherbiblical.com
      BIBLICAL HEBREW Online Newsletter
      Issue #57 - 08/10
      eteacherbiblical.com
      ...have never felt any success in previous efforts to learn a language - now I do!..
      Menu

      Newsletters Editions

      Community

      Resources

      Our Store
      Pen
      Intellipen pro
      Capture all your bright ideas with IntelliPen PRO!
      price:$119   Get it NOW!

      Our Toolbar

      Visit Our websites

      Learn Biblical Hebrew
      Learn  Hebrew Online

      Receive a Silver Necklace with your Hebrew Name !

      SIGN UP  before August 23rd to one of our Biblical Hebrew courses and receive a beautiful GIFT!
      A silver necklace with your Hebrew name on it! Like us on Facebook!

      Learn Biblical Hebrew

      Or call us - USA & Canada: 1-888-640-1319
      Worldwide: 972-3-7554141

      Isaac- The father who cried and didn't laugh

      Isaac- The father who cried and didn't laugh
      The second father after Abraham and before Jacob is Isaac, whose name literally means "the one that will laugh in the future".
      But unfortunately, Isaac is the one that lives a life without enough smiles and humor. Actually, Isaac's life is full of tragedies, dependence on his wife and blindness, literal and metaphoric. who is laughing here?
      In the beginning all seemed to be fine; Isaac was the one who was supposed be the second link of the chronological chain, but with precedence  over Ishmael, as written in Genesis 17:21-
      "וְאֶת-בְּרִיתִי, אָקִים אֶת-יִצְחָק, אֲשֶׁר תֵּלֵד לְךָ שָׂרָה לַמּוֹעֵד הַזֶּה, בַּשָּׁנָה הָאַחֶרֶת"
      "But My covenant will I establish with Isaac, whom Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year".
      When Isaac was born, his mother, Sarah, said: "God hath made laughter for me;
      Every one that heareth will laugh on account of me." (Genesis 21:6).
      Sarah didn't know how right she was; the only thing is that everyone laughed or felt sad on account of her son! The Midrash teaches us that on the day when Isaac was born, all the barren women were healed, all the sick people were also were healed and all the prayers were answered. This is an attempt by the Midrash to make the laughing and the mocking
      less visible to us!
      Most of the commentators looked at Isaac as the most passive father from the three; he is the one in the middle; He continues Abraham's legacy, without living in the promised land, he is told what to do by his father, his wife and also from his two sons Jacob and Esau.
       I think that it is not a coincidence that the most famous story about  Isaac is  the binding of Isaac, as written in Genesis 22:9-
      "וַיָּבֹאוּ, אֶל-הַמָּקוֹם אֲשֶׁר אָמַר-לוֹ הָאֱלֹהִים, וַיִּבֶן שָׁם אַבְרָהָם אֶת-הַמִּזְבֵּחַ, וַיַּעֲרֹךְ אֶת-הָעֵצִים;
       וַיַּעֲקֹד, אֶת-יִצְחָק בְּנוֹ, וַיָּשֶׂם אֹתוֹ עַל-הַמִּזְבֵּחַ, מִמַּעַל לָעֵצִים"

      "And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built the altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar, upon the wood"
      Why doesn't he say anything to his father? Why is it that only the angel of The Lord saves Isaac from certain death?
      Midrash Tanhumah tells us that even when the Satan speaks with Isaac and tells him that he is going to die -Isaac stays passive - asking his father what to do!
      Unlike Jacob that needed to work 14 years in Laban's house, in order to be with Rachel, Isaac doesn't go out to look for his wife; She comes to him (watch their meeting in this-http://mikranet.cet.ac.il/pages/item.asp?item=16145).
      The only active thing that he does, relates to his father, when he re-establishes the wells of water and builds an altar (see Genesis 26:18).
      Until now we saw that Isaac is a mini-copy of Abraham, not an independent figure. Let us look now at his blindness and fear in Genesis 27. We all know that Jacob tricked him, with the help of his mother! The question that I want to ask deals with the point in story, when he realized that he was blind.  Isaac said:
      ...וַיֹּאמֶר, בָּא אָחִיךָ בְּמִרְמָה; וַיִּקַּח, בִּרְכָתֶךָ"
      "וַיֹּאמֶר לְעֵשָׂו, הֵן גְּבִיר שַׂמְתִּיו לָךְ וְאֶת-כָּל-אֶחָיו נָתַתִּי לוֹ לַעֲבָדִים, וְדָגָן וְתִירֹשׁ, סְמַכְתִּיו; וּלְכָה אֵפוֹא, מָה אֶעֱשֶׂה בְּנִי
      And he said: 'Thy brother came with guile, and hath taken away thy blessing... and said unto Esau: 'Behold, I have made him thy lord, and all his brethren have I given to him for servants; and with corn and wine have I sustained him; and what then shall I do for thee, my son?'"
      Are you joking?
      Your father fought with The Lord over the number and you can't change the blessing?

      And now for the optimistic messages from Isaac and the narratives about him:
      - He is the one that lives in his country, because the land is more important to him than anything else;
      He teaches us a lot of values, especially what not to do-
      Don't be passive,
      Don't be blind,
      Be more flexible,
      Try to change the things that are important to you!
      Have a great week, Eli

      Main phrases of the post + transcription + translation
      Hebrew

         Transcription

      Translation

        מֶסֶר  mesermessage
      עֲקָרָה  'ăqārāh   barren
      פַּחַד  pahad fear
      הֶעְתֵּק he'tēq copy

      עָקַד  'ăqad  he bound

      יִצְחָק   yitshăq   Isaac
      מוֹרֶשֶׁת môrešet legacy

      Part of a song about Isaac/ Eran Bar Gil
      "אֲנִי יִצְחָק. / הַיֶּלֶד הַהוּא יִצְחָק.  / ...אֱלֹהִים צָחַק לְאִמִּי / אִמִּי שָׁרָה
      אֶת שְׁמִי כְּשֶׁבַּת שְׂחוֹק / רִחֲפָה עַל שְׂפָתֶיהָ הַסְּדוּקוֹת / וְאִלּוּ אֲנִי יִצְחָק, עָצוּב... / ...יִצְחָק  / הֶעָקוּד. הֶעָצוּב..."
      " I am Isaac , this boy will laugh... The Lord laughed to my mother, my mother sang my name with a smile on
      her cracked lips, and I am , Isaac, sad and bound"

      Sponsored ad - THE COMPLETE "TORAH" NARRATED IN HEBREW
      TorahThe  CD series consists of the first five books of the Bible narrated in Hebrew.
      This series is meant to serve and help people to connect, and discover the base of their Heritage, by listening to the Bible in its original language.
      Classical Hebrew – Voices of Heritage has strived to produce a recorded version of the Torah, which is accurate, pleasant sounding, and elegant – fitting for the Book of Books.
      •    Professional audio recording playable on any CD player
      •    Wonderful resource for Hebrew learners
      •    Beautiful Gift Box - A gift for Life !

      Special offer: $129            Get it NOW!

      eTeacherBiblical Newsletter - Readers' Feedback
      "Very informative.  It makes the Bible more meaningful when it is understood in its own environment, context and situations. Makes me wish I could take up the offer to join a class and truly learn the language".
      Makeda

      "Thank you for explaining, how to apply Lexicon meaning "righteousness." Very valuable tips for the Bible readers. The Lord bless you."
      Joseph Durairaj

      "I just must comment on and commend your efforts...not just the knowledge that I gain, honestly, each time I go through the newsletter, I am inspired. I feel the life of the Word! "
      Thank you!
      Gbade Olaniyan

      "Thanks for the enlightment I read it really open my eyes and have more interest in studying the word"
      Mngunism

      "It is a privilege for me to receive such great information relating to the bible, what I have realized is that each and every scripture has a meaning and that it is not only words put together, God knew what he was doing, it awesome!"
      Lucinda

      "Quite informative, am happy to be considered by ClassialHebrew. I pray that the information will birth a prophesy fulfilled. Hallelujah!."
      Mutahi

      Please give us your feedback, we may publish it in our next Newsletter.

      Contact Us
      Or call us: USA & Canada: 1-888-640-1319, Worldwide: +972-3-7554141

      To remove yourself from this mailing list please click here

      Email marketing software by ActiveTrail.com